Radio Comparison?

dlps73

Hi - I'm about to build a Skyranger (the kit should arrive June/July) and want to install a panel radio.

Question - with the limited number of choices (and budget) which one/s would you knowlegable people recommend?

Conversely - which one/s should I steer clear off!

Cheers.........Doug

Guest Nelson Smith

Hi Doug,

I hear that Icom are releasing a panel radio with duel frequency receive and capable of changeing frequencies automatically via a GPS engine.Thats all I know at this stage.The Icom A200 in our Jabiru performs spot on.

Nelson

I've worked in communications for a lot of years and although I'm probably not totally up to scratch with the airband radios, I would have to say that ICOM is well up there amongst the better of the ones on the market today. I guess it all comes down to the $$$$$

Bob

I'd have to second that, the A200 is practically identical to the Bendix king Ky97a including the mount trays, I've worked on many installations and the A200 is allways good. For people with limited panel the Xcom has the better intercom and weather channel receive (handy in some NZ areas - not sure if you have marine wx in au), but there have been some serious issues with many of them over here, in a few cases it was setup problems but there have been intermittent receive failures and transmit noise issues that need software correction. Probably OK if you buy a new one, as those things will be taken care of.

Perhaps the other issue is ergonomics, its no fun trying to fiddle small knobs through menus while dealing to turbulence, the A200 is much better there.

Ralph,

\ full time radiotech, part time flyer + driver of the Honda Z JetCar

I have the new Garmin SL40 in my new CT and I am very happy with it - anyone else had any experience with this radio?

Doug - I can get the ICOM but their pricing isn't the best as ICOM themselves said that I have to buy through another reseller and not them direct so at this stage my price would be $1,195 plus shipping. At this price my markup for the website contribution is only $26.

I will have to look further to see if I can get them any cheaper for you if that is to expensive.

Good grief - that was fast!

Thanks Ian - as you know I'm not in a rush.

What price is the Garmin SL40? From my investigations it's going to be a bit more expensive.......

Cheers......Doug

Guest pelorus32

Hi Ian,

I use a Garmin SL40 regularly - I like it. It's easy to use, you can monitor the area frequency and use a CTAF. You set the new frequency in standby and flop it across as needed. Just great. I also like the Garmin Mode A/C Xponder - the GTX 327.

I would be very interested to know what price you can do them for - radio and transponder. I would also be interested to know if you can offer the Dynon EFIS and EMS products and if so what prices.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Do you use the SL40 'built in' intercom function? I want to put the SL40 in my SeaRey and use its 2 place intercom function if possible. From what i've heard, it a great comm unit but I haven't hard many reviews on its intercom function. Have you any info?

Dianne

Guest pelorus32

Hi Dianne,

The Tecnam I fly has got a separate intercom with its own squelch/volume/isolate switch (I love the isolate switch if someone won't be quiet when you need to concentrate). I haven't used the Garmin intercom function unfortunately.

Regards

Mike

Rf Ingress

We work with all brands of kit, the Garmin panel mount receives rf ingress when mixed with its own brand GPS296 !! This we picked up on a JK05 (Sabre)

The ICA 200 is large, heavy and bullet proof. No interference problems and just works...I have no experience with Xcom.

I have a blown Microair on my bench that needs output transistors..any clues out there ??

Thanks Paul

Guest Nelson Smith

Hi Paul,

If you post the type numbers of the output transistors, I might be able to help you.

Nelson

• 4 weeks later...

Paul, are you the supplier of the RFI filter? We have a Becker 4201 in our J160C & experience a background "buzz" in the receive mode. Assume this is due to RFI from the alternator. Thanks, Bill