Logging your kit build ??

bacon

Hi Guys

I've just received my first part of my sierra 100 build. Im wondering how everyone else goes about logging there build progress do you use any programs. Also are there any legal requirements for us builders to log the build for when we go to register the plane later on.

Thanks guys

Bacon

HI Jami

good to hear that you have started your build we spoke to SAA about logs for the build ,we keep a detailed log of hrs and what we did ,lots of pics(not all on the forum ,too many) and get them to inspect the build as you go along, they document it and it helps i think ,come time to register good luck

cheers gareth

Jamie the rules are different if you are registering experimental VH as Gareth is rather than registering with RAA under the CAO 95.55 regulations. Under SAAA & VH experimental you will need to get pre cover inspections done of the airframe & I am unsure how many others up completion & once registered you will be bound by the VH maintenance process which can be expensive. With RAA you can effectively maintain the aircraft yourself as you become a Lame1 once you have built the aircraft.

Logging the build under RAA is a recommendation and there is no set procedure but you are encouraged to keep a photographic record as well. My build log is a simple excel spreadsheet with date, details, location and hours spent plus lots of photos of what I have done and all digital pics have the date embedded in them as well.

Kevin

Jamie the rules are different if you are registering experimental VH as Gareth is rather than registering with RAA under the CAO 95.55 regulations. Under SAAA & VH experimental you will need to get pre cover inspections done of the airframe & I am unsure how many others up completion & once registered you will be bound by the VH maintenance process which can be expensive.

I believe under SAAA with VH reg if you are the builder you are also authorised to do the maintenance of your own amateur build / experimental.

Jamie the rules are different if you are registering experimental VH as Gareth is rather than registering with RAA under the CAO 95.55 regulations. Under SAAA & VH experimental you will need to get pre cover inspections done of the airframe & I am unsure how many others up completion & once registered you will be bound by the VH maintenance process which can be expensive.Kevin

Not quite correct. The SAAA will assign a technical counsellor to provide support during your build. Although SAAA are really about VH aircraft, I understand they will also provide builder support to RAA projects. The number of inspections depends on what you agree with your TC. The TC will provide you with a written report after each inspection, which is useful for insurance purposes. The inspections are free, but it's good manners to at least cover your TC's travel costs.

You can carry out all maintenance and sign off the annuals on your experimental VH aircraft yourself, provided you have undertaken an MPC course (Maintenance Procedures Course). The course is not about how to maintain the aircraft, but mostly about the rules and regulations governing the process. Although you can maintain your own aircraft, you cannot maintain somebody else's plane, even if it's identical to yours. Also, if you buy a VH experimental aircraft, you cannot maintain it (because you weren't the builder). In that case, you will have to get a LAME to maintain it (or at least sign off your maintenance and annual inspections), as you would if you bought a Cessna.

rgmwa

• Like 2