Loose Jabiru Wing Attachment

old man emu

We have a Jabiru in the shop for a periodic inspection at the moment. We have found that the wing attachment is loose and that we can move the wing up and down.

We reported the condition to Jabiru who told us that "She'll be right for ten hours or so." Another source told us that there was an allowable tolerence for movement at this joint. However, the recently published Jabiru service manual contains no statement to this effect.

We await developments as we delve further into the situation.

Old Man Emu

We have a Jabiru in the shop for a periodic inspection at the moment. We have found that the wing attachment is loose and that we can move the wing up and down.We reported the condition to Jabiru who told us that "She'll be right for ten hours or so." Another source told us that there was an allowable tolerence for movement at this joint. However, the recently published Jabiru service manual contains no statement to this effect.

OME ,

I would caution against flying this aircraft until the reason for the movement is thoroughly investigated . The wing root fixing bolts are close tolerance bolts as are , from memory , the upper and lower strut attachment bolts . In my opinion no lateral movement in these areas is acceptable .

Bob

Old Man Emu

G'Day OME,

The strut attachment points at the fuselage and undersurface of the wing consist of a fibreglass lug with an aluminium insert screwed and bonded into the fibreglass lug.

It's not uncommon for the aluminium insert to work loose in the fibreglass lug, particularly after several thousand student landings! The fix is to remove the insert, clean everything up and then re-bond the insert into the lug.

We have done a few already on airframes around the 1000 hour mark.

I expect that is what Jabiru think also, hence their lack of urgency. I would however have a good look at the attachment point and ensure that is all it is.

That wing strut is a rather important little gadget when it comes to preventing the wings clapping!

Cheers,

Bruce

• Like 1

The loose bit is the upper forward wing attach bolt. We think it might be the aluminium insert working loose and will investigate that aspect. Since the plane is in for a periodic, we won't be signing it out until the wing is properly secured.

I posted this as a "heads up" for the next bloke who does a pre-flight on a Jab. Have someone push up and down on the wing tip while you look at the wing attach bolt. I think you have to remove a flat fairing to get a look in there.

OME

We have a Jabiru in the shop for a periodic inspection at the moment. We have found that the wing attachment is loose and that we can move the wing up and down.We reported the condition to Jabiru who told us that "She'll be right for ten hours or so." Another source told us that there was an allowable tolerence for movement at this joint. However, the recently published Jabiru service manual contains no statement to this effect.

Old Man Emu

OME how much movment was there, I did a check on my J200 today and found a very small amount of movement. You could'nt see the movement but you could feel it if you put your fingers on the cover strip.

SAJ

SAJ

Take the cover strips off and get somebody to move the wing vigorously while you look for any movement , at both the wing root and the strut connections . Any movement will only get worse and result in a more complex and more expensive fix , not to mention the possibility of catastrophic failure . Seem to recall I may have met you when passing through Longreach a month ago , although I may be mistaken . We have a J160 .

Bob

Guys

I have had all the aluminium inserts either replaced or reflocked back into position as well as the fitted bolts replaced in my SP6 2001 between 900 and 1000hrs TT.

There were several things found here on my plane.

Firstly 2 of the Aluminium Inserts had come loose and needed to be reflocked back into position.

Another 1 of the Aluminium inserts was slightly worn but still tight in the wing root. Jabiru put an oversize fitted bolt in this one. They have them on the shelf and apparantly this is common.

In one of the other posistions ( Strut mount at wing ) the bolt was worn. Simply replaced the fitted bolt here.

This was picked up as movement during the 900hr service and repaired and then some of the others showed movement at the 1000hr service.

All are now nice and tight again and free of any movement at 1085hrs TT

picked up on your morning inspections by lifting the end of the wing up and down gently.

Once you feel this you will know how much to move it up and down.

• Like 1

SAJTake the cover strips off and get somebody to move the wing vigorously while you look for any movement , at both the wing root and the strut connections . Any movement will only get worse and result in a more complex and more expensive fix , not to mention the possibility of catastrophic failure . Seem to recall I may have met you when passing through Longreach a month ago , although I may be mistaken . We have a J160 .

Bob

How you going Bob, yes you did meet me, I'd just come back from a fly in my Thruster, how was your trip up north.

SAJ

OME how much movment was there, I did a check on my J200 today and found a very small amount of movement. You could'nt see the movement but you could feel it if you put your fingers on the cover strip.SAJ

There was very little movement, but a little was considered too much. We are replacing the AN bolts with NAS66## bolts which have a much higher shear strength.

OME

How you going Bob, yes you did meet me, I'd just come back from a fly in my Thruster, how was your trip up north.SAJ

Thought we had the right guy , you meet so many nice people during your travels but was disappointed not hooking up with Lyle . We got to Cairns as planned and are slowly making our way South . Are at Southport now and plan to leave Wed/Thurs for mid NSW then home by late weekend .Have enjoyed the past 6 weeks and look forward to doing it again next year . Regards

Bob & Sally

Thought we had the right guy , you meet so many nice people during your travels but was disappointed not hooking up with Lyle . We got to Cairns as planned and are slowly making our way South . Are at Southport now and plan to leave Wed/Thurs for mid NSW then home by late weekend .Have enjoyed the past 6 weeks and look forward to doing it again next year . RegardsBob & Sally

Lucky you Bob poor old me has to go back to that bl--dy tug again. Oh well sh-t happens I hope you had a good tirp .Cheers Rory

Lucky you Bob poor old me has to go back to that bl--dy tug again. Oh well sh-t happens I hope you had a good tirp .Cheers Rory

G'day Rory , It's only the large amount of tax that people like you pay , that allows us to enjoy this lifestyle . Now get back to work.!

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We tried to get the wing attach bolts out, using increasing degrees of force and heavier and heavier hammers. The rear bolts would not shift.

Our solution: Close up the airplane, and since Jabiru said it would be "OK" for ten hours, we are sending it off the Bundaberg so teh experts can get the bolts out.

OME

• 1 month later...
We tried to get the wing attach bolts out, using increasing degrees of force and heavier and heavier hammers. The rear bolts would not shift.Our solution: Close up the airplane, and since Jabiru said it would be "OK" for ten hours, we are sending it off the Bundaberg so teh experts can get the bolts out.

OME

A J170 crashed in France last week killing both pilot and passenger (father and son), both British. Word has it that a wing became detatched from the body.

This has not been confirmed.

Any link to info on the wing detach theory Graham? The info posted elsewhere here seemed to suggest a possible in-flight explosion or fire which is entirely different. Also that referred to a J450 not a J170.

Sorry it was NOT a J 170 as I put in the post. It was a 450UL about 7 years old. First reports were of a loud bang and I think this got translated to an explosion. But the latest news of the wing becoming detatched seems to be the most likely.

But this has yet to be confirmed.