To Kit or not to Kit

Hi All

I have recently being playing around with the idea of building a kit. Now most of you know I already have a Gazelle - for sentimental reasons and it is just pure pleasure to fly, and a CTsw - high performance, luxury, safety and a real cruiser.

So, I am wondering whether you guys that have built a kit would you do it again, did it really consume all your waking hours, was it fairly easy or a nightmare, did you really save that much money etc etc etc.

I think the biggest problem I am playing around with is do I really have the time, which kit and why and then what do I do with it when it is finished given I already have two aircraft - do I sell one, sell the finished kit or what?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Time is definately your biggest problem, Ian. If you can't spend an hour or to every day, it may well become another unfinished project. If you can find a way around that problem, build something radically different to keep your interest level up, and then, on completion, decide which of your three aircraft you want to sell.

Guest pelorus32

From a complete non-kit builder...

It is however worth considering that under LSA rules the 51% rule for owner input into a kit build is gone.

That means that you can buy a "fast build" kit and register it as LSA. Some of the kits are very fast build.

Drawback/advantage of course is that it's LSA and as I understand it E-LSA.

Regards

Mike

Even a quick build kit takes a lot of work. Whatever the seller of the kit say's double it then add another 1000 hours to finish it. If you have some time to spare it can be very rewarding. There are many pitfalls and the choice of kit with good backup can be the difference between finishing it and not.

Guest brentc

I don't necessarily agree about the build time. Jabiru claim 600 hours for their aircraft which is double the factory build time of 300 hours with experience and templates. I came in at under 600 hours and a mate finished his little Jab in around 280 hours. He had no experience in aircraft, however he is a home builder. He even painted it all himself.

I have seen a J430 take 3,600 hours.

I've seen an Esqual take 2,800 hours.

Eurpoa, 3,500.

Zenith 4 seater - 25 years!

Kara-One - 15 years.

Storm 1,800 hours (quoted at 600 approx).

It's more of a project management exercise than anything, as in being organised for the next step and knowing which bit comes next and where to buy the next bit.

Of course Kit versus Scratch build is a whole other story.

I wouldn't see E-LSA as a disadvantage. You do get the 600 kilos and the fact that it's experimental is no different to 95 amateur built.

I built my Jabiru kit with no manual skills other than having once rebuilt a car engine and bogged and undercoated it ready to be resprayed. It wasn't overly difficult, however as I say more of a logistical approach is required.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sabre

OK Guys....what's the cheapest and quickest built two seat kit aircraft with an enclosed cockpit. So far I'm tossing up the Skyranger, Xair Hanuman or an AeroPup..any opinions

Guest Sabre

Thanks mate......I'm leaning towards it...I'm not mechanical at all but I do know how to use a wrench and if that's all it takes to put this kit together then that will be great

Hi Guys,

Quote "I wouldn't see E-LSA as a disadvantage. You do get the 600 kilos and the fact that it's experimental is no different to 95 amateur built."

Please point me in the right direction to check this out, or is this only for PPL pilots?

Cheers..........Doug

Hi Guys.

I built a Skyranger last year. My first ever build, it took me 350 hours to complete. The kit and instruction manual are first class. The finished product is great to fly. I have done 120 hours in the first year including a trip to the Birdsville races and Narromine at Easter.

Greg

Guest Sabre

Hi gregrobertson,

it would be interesting to read any thoughts you have on the whole process in relation to the your build...i.e costs as expected, any hiccups you encountered and stuff like that.

Cheers

Guest micgrace

Hi

Fastest a/c I've seen built was a Wayne Fisher Drifter. In one day, the wing/aerilons were assembled, covered and mounted. It helped that the factory used a jig for the flying wires. Even the tail feathers were put on.

Micgrace

Guest Sabre

Love the drifter....real flying but I was after something that has a covered cockpit ...you know, how else will I ever get the wife up in an aircraft..lol

Hanuman, Skyranger and now Savannah is offering a kit for 20k Australian and they are stating 100 hours build time..not bad.....

Sabre, I am not too sure whether we use the same terminology, but the word "wrench" means a shifting spanner in my language and you should not use one around an aeroplane.

Have a good look at the Savannah, the latests kits are very good with most holes pre-drilled.

David

Zenair CH701:;)8:

Guest Sabre

lol...thanks I will....kit prices for a savannah are about AUD$$$k and 200 hours,,looking good..

cheers

Guest Teenie2

Gentlemen lets get the terms correct ,you build an aircraft,but you assemble a kit. (Sorry ,still cannot help it Gerry)

how about the x-air std. Less than $18000 for the kit and 300-400 hours (including redoing stuff ups) for a total amateur to assemble to test fly stage. Very easy to assemble and not much room required.

Just my 2c

Maynard

Teenie2,

As I said before Steve, if all the cutting and drilling is done I would agree, but if not, you ARE BUILDING the aircraft!!!

Sabre,

As for build times, just remember that some kit suppliers quote's are for the bit they sell you.....not including the engine installation, painting and sometimes upholstery!!!!!!!

Regards,

Gerry....

• 3 months later...

Hi Sabre

Aeropup without a dought, strong, simple, fast folding wings, very predictable, Oz back up, all Chrom-Moly frame powder coated, fly beautifully, Luv em but bias.