Chinook

Guest ozzie

When the first of these arrived in Australia and i saw them up close and how well they performed on the 277 i knew we had some real competition for the Condor and other local types. I saw some big boys flying these and they still had impressive climb rates.

When the first of these arrived in Australia and i saw them up close and how well they performed on the 277 i knew we had some real competition for the Condor and other local types. I saw some big boys flying these and they still had impressive climb rates.

I think they would thermal very well. At 20 knot stall speed you could work the thermal flying 25 knots giving you a very tight radius to stay in the core where there is greatest lift. Its like going up in a fast elevator watching the earth get smaller and smaller.

I think they would thermal very well. At 20 knot stall speed you could work the thermal flying 25 knots giving you a very tight radius to stay in the core where there is greatest lift. Its like going up in a fast elevator watching the earth get smaller and smaller.

Yep they would but with a glide ratio of 10 to 1 (which I think would be about right) it would be hard to get far.

Yep they would but with a glide ratio of 10 to 1 (which I think would be about right) it would be hard to get far.

It's not a cross country machine. Though piston aircooled aircraft engines are not reliable as well. Not properly designed. That's a story that would take several threads/

Guest ozzie

And it was also within the original ANO 95:10 rules of 4lbs per sqft and 400lbs. auw. It could easily lift heavier pilots.

Several float versions here as well. And i think they also had amphib floats option.

A friend of mine had one, it was always interesting to watch him take off. The tail would come up in a few feet, a few more and he'd lift off, looked like it just went staight up with no forward speed. I don't believe that he had any trouble with it, mind, he was quite a conservative pilot.

A friend of mine had one, it was always interesting to watch him take off. The tail would come up in a few feet, a few more and he'd lift off, looked like it just went staight up with no forward speed. I don't believe that he had any trouble with it, mind, he was quite a conservative pilot.[/quoteMy concern is that conrol probems have surfaced in that plane while staying within the flight envelope. In one case the owner dismantle the whole plane and sold off the pieces-never to be flown again.

I have known of a person declaring an aircraft not safe to fly at one time when I felt certain the person was blaming their own shortcomings on the aircraft. I have known of 6 Chinooks which have been flown safely consistently over an extended period of time (mine has done more than 1300 hrs over 30 odd years).

I have known of a person declaring an aircraft not safe to fly at one time when I felt certain the person was blaming their own shortcomings on the aircraft. I have known of 6 Chinooks which have been flown safely consistently over an extended period of time (mine has done more than 1300 hrs over 30 odd years).

True, improper mainenance and lack of flying skills have stood out in accidents. I like the aircraft but needs to be flown by a diciplined pilot. Cowboys need not apply.

• 11 months later...
The Teckair, do you still have your Chinook ? I am picking up a 2s on Thursday, any comment regarding the flying or maintenance ? Anyone you know who has floats for them ?

Yes I still have my Chinook, I can help with advice for them if required, 2s is that 2 seat? The Chinook is a cult aircraft so I was told, it is not unlike a Drifter to fly and land. It will not fly as well as a Drifter as they are more short coupled and require more rudder when turning. It is important to never over speed a Chinook (about 75 knots) as they say the wing will blanket the elevator and render it useless. The elevator is easy to over control due to the short fuselage. They were a great aircraft that is not well understood people who should know better think they have wing warping.

Thanks Teckair, I have my own Fisher Mk 1 so the transition should be easy, yeah the 2s is a two seat from the original builder the Birdman company with a 503 engine, very good condition and low hours.

Yes the transition will be easy. That one might be pre certified as they had the 447 engine. If you want to PM me your location in SA I might know a Chinook owner who lives near you I do not know anyone with Chinook floats but this guy might.