Port phillip bay vfr route. 2500 feet westbound?

I am looking forward to flying this some day when I get my cross-country endorsement.

My question is regarding the assigned heights for this route: 1500' West to East is fine... No worries there. East to West is assigned 2500'. Wouldn't that encroach on the 2500' Class C airspace?

When is it considered 'busting' controlled airspace? 2501'? blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Guest turk182

Go through there with an instructor, you have three very busy airports, a mob doing parachute ops and everyone else tracking through on the way to somewhere else, there's a few frequencies you will need to monitor as well as a head on a swivel

Turk

Your Instructor will take you through, once is enough because if you get your entry points right the lights are as bright as the death rays of Atlantis.

Great shortcut through to the Western District.

The other key navigation point you need the Instructor to show you is Kilmore Gap, which on many days is your only route below cloud to the north.

I find that a lot harder to locate.

I am looking forward to flying this some day when I get my cross-country endorsement.My question is regarding the assigned heights for this route: 1500' West to East is fine... No worries there. East to West is assigned 2500'. Wouldn't that encroach on the 2500' Class C airspace?

When is it considered 'busting' controlled airspace? 2501'? blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Hi Evan

I put together a response for you last night, pressed the wrong button and... lost in the ether!

The VFR coastal route class G is 0-2500 and has changed ever so slightly in recent years because of encroachments into CTA. You can fly it East to West at 2500 but no higher so make sure your altimeter has been calibrated recently. I usually stick at 2400 which gives me a slightly better margin for error (mine). ATC also give you a margin which is 200' from memory but better not to go there! Remember to stay to the right side of the lane but don't wander into CTA in the process.

You will find some really terrific info on the On Track CASA site for Moorabbin http://services.casa.gov.au/ontrack/index.html. It tells you exactly what you need and what you will see as you fly the route including info on Moorabbin, Essendon, Point Cook and Avalon airspace. You can also use it for the Inland corridor between Sugarloaf and Kilmore.

I strongly suggest you fly the coastal with landinglight on and a working transponder because the traffic is really constant and there is also a PJ operation at Point Ormond now!!! Call up Melb Radar on 135.7 and let them know when you enter the corridor and the usuals of position, height and intentions... you will find them extremely helpful.

Enjoy

kaz

• Like 1

Hi Evan,

I suggest you download the Melbourne Basin Visual Pilot Guide from CASA'a web site, which has good detail about the Coastal and Inland routes, with detailed diagrams and tips on what to do.

http://casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/pilots/download/melbourne.pdf

BTW when I have flown this route I have given Moorabbin Tower a courtesy call when within 5 or 6 miles to let them know my intentions, which they have acknowledged.

Have fun!

Cheers

Neil

Thanks everyone. That helps a lot.

I won't be flying it any time in the very near future, but eventually it would be a nice efficient way to get through to Tyabb, Tooradin and Latrobe Valley!