Flying with Insulin Dependent Diabetes

G’day All,

I am an aviation enthusiast, but I am also a type 1 diabetic. I currently hold an RAAus licence with no restrictions, and a CASA Class 2 medical with the condition that I must fly with a safety pilot, and I seem to average about 40 hours of flying per year (although I wish it was more!)

I am posting this in a couple of forums, hoping to get in touch with as many fellow pilots as possible that are also insulin dependent diabetics. My goal is to set up an informal network or group of some description so that we can share experiences and information about flying with diabetes.

This seems a pertinent time to do so, given CASA’s recent changes to the Class 2 requirements for diabetics, and also their introduction of a new class of medical based on the Austroads unconditional motor vehicle driving licence standard (see this thread on pprune).

If you are an insulin dependent diabetic with any interest in aviation I’d love to hear from you. If you are at all interested in sharing your experiences, or just keeping up to date, please send me an email to jex207 at gmail dot com (or even a private message).

Cheers

Jex

• Like 1

Thank you to those that have got in touch so far.

If any of you on the forum know of a pilot with insulin dependent diabetes, please feel free to pass on my email and spread the word that I am trying to get in touch. Any help would be much appreciated!

cheers

Jex

Hi Jex,

I am a Type 1 diabetic and am going to the doc tomorrow to get my medical done for my heavy vehicle drivers license. I am only a couple of hours off getting my RAA pilot cert and have wondered about one day getting my PPL. How difficult is it to pass the CASA medical? Also in reading the CASA guidelines for diabetics I think it says that once you have completed a certain number of flights with a safety pilot you are able to fly 'solo' providing things are okay? Is this correct? I live in a relatively isolated area so having to organise another pilot to come with me every time I want to go flying would difficult, thats why i chose RAA so I can fly locally.

It's great to see that you have been able to get you license and I am pleased you posted, you are the first diabetic i know that flies!!!!! I've found someone like me!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

G'day Propfarmer,

Thanks for your reply! It's always nice to meet an fellow diabetic aviator :) I'll send you a private message with my contact details. I'd be keen to talk to you about your flying and answer your questions about getting a PPL.

cheers

Jex

Guest Andys@coffs

Im a type 1 and have been for 17yrs. I have had an RAA certificate for about 10yrs, Trikes first up then 3 axis.

Im well controlled and my diabetes is not brittle so in reality it slows me down none when it comes to flying.

Andy

Hi Guys,

I too am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 20 years. I have had an insulin pump for the last 2 years which has given me the best control I have ever had.

I have been flying RAAus for 7 years, done 500+ hours including lots of long solo x-country flights such as Hervey Bay Qld to Warnambool Vic.

I also have a nephew who is type 1 ( yeah it's popular in my family ) who also an RAAus flyer.

At no stage has my diabetes caused any dramas with flying and I don't believe it should be a restriction for those of us that have good control. It is just another aspect that has to be managed.

I am keen to progress to GA, hopefully under the new medical system of a drivers license medical (aviation) as rubber stamped by CASA last week. My main reason for wanting GA is to be able to get something bigger and easier to get in & out of as I have stuffed my shoulders, so the limitations on aircraft weight & 1 pax don't bother me.

Jex, I will drop you an e-mail with my private contact details, I'm happy to discuss managing diabetes while flying and to help others where I can.....

• 1 month later...

The only requirement for ANY diabetic as far as I read for RAA is to be able to comply with the medical certificate issued by a doctor for a drivers licence. You need to take this certificate always with you in your wallet etc. So long as your diabeties is in control and you doctor agrees with this you fill out the necessary forms with the doctor and then go to the transport dept and make sure it is lodged and then these details are printed onto your car licence. You need to send a copy of this certificate to the RAA to comply with the regs. I believe the PPL GA stuff will be massively different and more than likely it would be very difficult to be passed by the medical especially for Type @.....Type 2 maybe different now but almost 20 years ago when I was learning GA I was bounced for my medical as I had just the start of diabeties Type 2

Mark

Guest Andys@coffs

Man talk about paperwork wars.......As a type 1 the NSW RTA are aware of this and every year send me a form that the doctor has to complete. Without it, I cant drive and I have to return my license to the RTA who use some fancy punch to make it holey. The fact that I have a current license is proof enough that I meet the medical guidlines. Anything else just hassles me more and proves absolutely nothing!!

Andy

I am keen to progress to GA, hopefully under the new medical system of a drivers license medical (aviation) as rubber stamped by CASA last week.

The exemption to a class 2 medical for GA using the newly approved "Drivers License ( aviation )" has proven to not resemble a drivers license medical at all. It is more like a Class 2 medical but with the examination carried out by your GP instead of a DAME. It definitively excludes insulin dependant diabetics.013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif