Hi All... new to the sport

Hi Mark, . . . have you got the leading edge vortex generators on your Savannah wing yet, My friend Simon has them on his version, ( G-SAVY ) and reckons that they are really good. I have not tried them myself, as both of us find the cockpit a little tight as he is a Fat B****R . ( I'm not., I mean I'm a little under 18 stone. . . . . ( ! ) [ 14 pounds in a stone, I'll let you work out the Lb to Kg bit. . . . ( ! )Phil

Hi Phil

The savannah I built is the VG XL version so it is made for fat bas%ards like me 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif It has plenty of room...I am 123 kg (19.5 stone) and 188 cm (6 ft 3 in ) tall and it is quite comfortable even with a 90 plus KG passenger. I have my pedals in the forward position and as the internal cabin is longer as well it is quite comfortable. Mine has the VG's of course and flys well...even better now I have the battery in the back the manual and later versions say to put it behind the pilot but this makes it a bit nose heavy so I shifted mine back down to the back and changed the CG by 60 mm it flys sooooooooo much better now. I have a build log on this forum when I started it it is under the savannah forum http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/ is the start of it there are a lot of pictures of the build also some of the modifications I made during the build

Mark

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christmas and boxing were beautiful flying days. But i was away. The plan was to fly my solo today. And now there is long awaited rain which finished a short time ago (only 9mm) and the wind is 6kts ssw on runway 11/29.

Doesn't mean i didn't have to get up at the usual 430am to find out and be disappointed.

Talk about needing patience! Maybe tomorrow.

This is more of a note for myself - but PLEASE chime in if you have words of encouragement and wisdom.

Today I left the field deflated and frustrated. I didn't solo. The weather was just right - but I wasn't.

Now don't get me wrong - even though a lot of the disappointment was that I didn't solo, it wasn't all of it.

I know and understand that I am not fully ready to solo. There is still a chance I could screw up a landing - so why is that?

It is good practice to always use power off approach and landing to be practiced in the event of the real thing. This is how we do all my landings. I have only once or twice been shown powered approach and landing.

My Problem is Consistency...

I feel like I have been around the circuit a majillion times, and the problem that remains is my round-out and hold-off. During my first landings - seeing the runway rushing up made me round-out too soon - didn't want to hit the deck of course. Now, I am rounding out consistently at the right height, but sometimes a little too fast. The result is sitting too high for hold-off. Then unless I bring the nose down, the hold-off slows us down causing a waffly, slower than desirable arrival - which could end badly in a low height stall if there is a gust or wind shadow. This is the problem.

I have been taught to use my datum line - that's ok. And the runway perspective - that's where I am iffy. The real problem I have is correctly judging my height - I need to hold-off at 6 inches but this frequently alludes me.

So can someone please tell me if there is a secret to this? What and how do I use for a reference for height and timing?

I haven't been able to learn why I can't do this consistently from my instructor - so maybe someone here might have an insight into the way my brain works?

Sounds normal to me although very frustrating yep I hade the same trouble .my instructor was a 75 year old lady who still flew aerobatics .she would say all men over about 35 are slow learners! Ha ha .i nearly chucked it all away after failing first gfpt,soooo glad I didn't ,try not to over think it,it will happen ,I'll bet there are so many of us that have been where you are now.funny thing is now I fly a powered parachute which is to easy , cheep and fun ,I'll be keen to fly a fix wing again sooner or later I can't wait to see if I've still "got it"

As you are nearing roundout force yourself to look at the far end of the runway....that is your problem....everyone has it. You think you are looking there because you have been told to but just before the critical moment your look goes back to just in front of you.....FORCE yourself to keep your eyes at the far end of the runway...then after a while it does become natural.

• Like 1

As you are nearing roundout force yourself to look at the far end of the runway....that is your problem....everyone has it. You think you are looking there because you have been told to but just before the critical moment your look goes back to just in front of you.....FORCE yourself to keep your eyes at the far end of the runway...then after a while it does become natural.

I totally agree with looking toward the very far end of the runway during roundout and flare. You can get a far better reference for vertical height and vertical speed (level or up or down) by looking at the far end. I find I can more easily judge how much flare to apply becuase you can see if the aircraft is rising or falling quite easily. Looking downwards or sideways to the immediate runway does not give you that same sense. Despite knowing this, I still have to force myself to look towards the far end as there seems to be a natural tendency to look at the strip around you on landing. Eric.

Looking to the end of the runway hasn't been easy...

While I perfect my landing technique we fly in the mornings due to low wind and turbulence, not long after sunrise.

A big problem with this:

The runway is east/west 11/29.

The sun rises at about 110 degrees

The prevailing wind is SE.

Afternoons are very unsettled, gusty and turbulent.

So we have to land looking into the low level rising sun. Not very easy to see the runway, let alone the end of it.

We are going to make a visit to Maryborough where the winds are kinder and there are two runways. This will be so i can sort out my landings for solo. Then I should be ready to progress further. That's the theory, otherwise there will be slow progress or we will be waiting until March for settled weather.

looking into the sun is a pain. I think you need to go somewhere else and practice it. You will see what I mean when you do it....it makes it very simple but sounds like your strip would be a issue that time of day...try late afternoon runs instead of mornings...provided the wind is coming from the east of course

looking into the sun is a pain. I think you need to go somewhere else and practice it. You will see what I mean when you do it....it makes it very simple but sounds like your strip would be a issue that time of day...try late afternoon runs instead of mornings...provided the wind is coming from the east of course

The wind now at 6:40pm is still 8/11kts, but is straight down the strip. Would have been ok, but it only just dropped 1/2hr ago from 11/16kts, and there is a never enough time to be ready, especially when sunset is at 6:42pm. So time is too short. We really have to pick hit and miss weather, due to coastal seabreeze etc.

The wind now at 6:40pm is still 8/11kts, but is straight down the strip. Would have been ok, but it only just dropped 1/2hr ago from 11/16kts, and there is a never enough time to be ready, especially when sunset is at 6:42pm. So time is too short. We really have to pick hit and miss weather, due to coastal seabreeze etc.

Why not try Childers airfield at first light I have have been flying there for the last 3 consecutive weeks in my ppc.I have had 1hr of a window of

opportunity of calm weather from sunrise.The runway is grass strip lenght is 940x 30 meters would be ideal to get the landing monkey of your back

goodluck.

What Aussi trikers refer to as the "mast" is what Poms call the "monopole"Cheers

John

We certainly do. . . . . Thank you for clearing that one up John !! I wasn't trying to confuse Stew. . . . . ! ( I have to admit that "Mast" is a much more sensible term though. . . . . .since it has a big sail on top of it ? )

Why not try Childers airfield at first light I have have been flying there for the last 3 consecutive weeks in my ppc.I have had 1hr of a window ofopportunity of calm weather from sunrise.The runway is grass strip lenght is 940x 30 meters would be ideal to get the landing monkey of your back

goodluck.

Fred,

I just ran across your latest video 28th Dec on Youtube. Is that a public no permission required strip? It is just outside my legal 25NM range at 26NM (should be ok though). But it will be too far to visit for training anyway. I would still like to visit it though for an outlanding one day.

In the meantime we will use the closer Maryborough when the weather is suitable in relation to the landing monkey. A 17/35 bitumen runway and a grass cross-strip.

Fred,I just ran across your latest video 28th Dec on Youtube. Is that a public no permission required strip? It is just outside my legal 25NM range at 26NM (should be ok though). But it will be too far to visit for training anyway. I would still like to visit it though for an outlanding one day.

In the meantime we will use the closer Maryborough when the weather is suitable in relation to the landing monkey. A 17/35 bitumen runway and a grass cross-strip.

Crayonbox Yes thats right under ERSA it is a UNCR Airstrip run by the Bundaberg Council no permission required.It is very well maintained by the friendly locals there, you can google earth it on gps 25 15.186' south 152 20.143' east.Be aware of the powerlines at the eastern end marked with the

white balls,but you would be used to those power lines flying with Mark at his farm.There is also a large windsock there.Goodluck and hope you get your

certificate soon.

Did your instructor tell you that when you were mucking up your landings Mark? Funny thing is my instructor told me the same when I was bumping it on a bit hard instead of feeling it on.

Steve I knew when I was stuffing it up when bill told me what it was I didn't believe him because I would swear I was looking at the far end but just at the last minute I must have been looking away for a short glance and it was stuffing it up. Even now I still force myself to not avert my eyes. It really is the solution for sure. Part of my landing procedure right at the round out is to look at the far end.... It can get frustrating still

There is 2000m at Inverell and the other end disappears over the horizon, Is that why I stuffed up my landing there on my first nav, just couldn't see the far end of the strip, nah maybe just didn't look for it, like Bill said at the time!

Well Happy New year, and we can add another hour to my dual instruction time.

Today the wind was in our face, 8kts gusting 15kts. Last night I got my head around what I had to do, and was determined and confident that I knew what I had to do to make consistent and safe landings that would satisfy my instructor.

So away we went at 5:15am, to the airport for touchngos.

First landing was ok, the second was better and the third was even better still. I was on it, the fourth I got a 'beautiful' from the mate in the back, then it it was poetry for the rest.

Oh jubilation - it's clicked - and remember this is in a gusty headwind. Solo is now to be the next calm day - which could be as soon as tomorrow, if not then Wednesday. The instructor has seen that I now have what it takes - my actions, reactions and skills are in place.

It as all about making the decision and knowing that I could do it.

There was however more than that. One thing I had decided to do was hold off at 6-12inches, and prevent the landing for as long as I could. And look to the end of the runway for height.

Another thing was to push the bar sooner than I had been (but gently), to keep the nose up rather than reacting to when the nose dropped. This technique kept me in the air for as long as was required - thus preventing the landing until finally the a/c had to settle.

And the last thing was being in control of where the a/c needs to be at all times. My skill in this area has increased as a result of flying in rougher air with turbulence, which has fine tuned my need to react and respond with the required control inputs. All good training for the landing process.

And for a bit of light humour - here is a video from this morning :

Crayonbox Yes thats right under ERSA it is a UNCR Airstrip run by the Bundaberg Council no permission required.It is very well maintained by the friendly locals there, you can google earth it on gps 25 15.186' south 152 20.143' east.Be aware of the powerlines at the eastern end marked with thewhite balls,but you would be used to those power lines flying with Mark at his farm.There is also a large windsock there.Goodluck and hope you get your

certificate soon.

Fred,

How do I find this airstrip in the ERSA? Childers is not on Airservices ERSAs online either. Or is the airstrip known by a different name?