Ga solo hours count towards RAA cert?

I was just wondering if GA solo hours would count towards the 5 hours solo I need before attempting an RAA flight test? At this point all I need to do is the 4.4 hours solo I have left, as well as some lessons on more advanced skills before I can do the test.

Thanks.

Hi Jake. Yes it does count. The reference is found in the RaAus ops manual. 2.07 section 2.

0.6 hours isn't a great deal of time especially when considering the 5 hours solo being a "minimum". I would consider doing more than the 5 hours to feel more confident anyway.

cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

up to 100 hours of the 100 hours solo needed for a 200 hour CPL can be in an RAAus aircraft (or a glider or a gyro or foreign aircraft or a garden chair tied to ballons for that matter). It's in the CAR's part 5.something .

The remaining 100 hours need to be in VH rego powered aircraft. Some other requirements as well (seem to recall needing 30 hours cross country GA time - but dont trust some random person on the internet. Go read the CAR!).

PS not sure about the garden chairs + balloons either. That might be up the back of the CAR's somewhere...

Essentially all GA experience counts. To get your RAAus cert. on top of a PPL I don't think even the 5 hours applies. (in a U/L) One hour solo might. If you just make the grade and it shows, I don't really think a minimum applies. It's all supposed to be skills based.. Know the RAAus rules..

You might make the opportunity to do your (change over) on a "different" type of plane like a drifter etc to experience something you haven't had in GA, ( unless you have been flying something like a Bristol boxkite replica )

Blueline it might be in the ChAiR's ..Nev

• Like 1

A PPL will get you a licence (RAA) after a check with a RAA CFI. All endorsements included.

BUT it will only be for RAA classified HP aircraft

(Unless there has been a change) LP rating still requires 5 hours

It is in the ops manual if you search through it.

FrankM

A PPL will get you a licence (RAA) after a check with a RAA CFI. All endorsements included.BUT it will only be for RAA classified HP aircraft

(Unless there has been a change) LP rating still requires 5 hours

It is in the ops manual if you search through it.

FrankM

Perhaps, Frank. Perhaps they'll get a HP certificate, maybe in some cases even probable... But it's competency based. It's not a case of, "Oh you've got that have you? Well OK, we'll just give you this"... Uh Argh:no no no:,,, we're not playing that game.

Perhaps, Frank. Perhaps they'll get a HP certificate, maybe in some cases even probable... But it's competency based. It's not a case of, "Oh you've got that have you? Well OK, we'll just give you this"... Uh Argh:no no no:,,, we're not playing that game.

Wayne I not suggesting that

I got my RAA Lic based on a current CPL. And a flight test by a RAA CFI i.e. competany based

If the aircraft was VH registered I was already licenced to fly it

I have no problems with that and I only received a RAA HP licence and I have no problems with that as I am sure many instructors on this site would agree

My RAA licence was a check flight with a CFI. (3 circuits)

The comical thing to me is I have flown a Gazelle but it was VH registered and now I can't unless it it VH registered

The aircraft does not know what is painted on the back back but I accept the rules as there has to be some control

FrankM

Hmm... Theres a few problems there frank...How much flying did you do in the Vh Gazelle?

Bugger all Mots about 1 hr of circuits. And only out of interest - and bugger me it flew like an aeroplane

Not a problem - if I wanted to fly one now I would do a check with a relevant CFI

More a comment - not a winge

FrankM

There are anomalies with planes that fly under both categories. Sometimes there may be subtle differences that are not obvious untill you go right into it. "Homebuilt" Jabiru's can weigh more than factory ones too. Individually built planes vary a lot. People do put things in different places and quality (alignment) can vary.

Has there been a plane built that is easier to fly than a Gazelle? I have never found one. Nev

On the topic of getting a CPL based on your RAAus hours:

1. CAR 5.111 refers to the 150 syllabus. Only hours accumulated on an integrated 150 syllabus course count (so even if you had 1000 hours of PPL GA time you would still need to 150 hours on an integrated CPL course). No RAAus or glider time or gyro etc... Refer to the Day VFR syllabus. Basically FORGET IT!

2. CAR 5.115 is the hours required for a CPL if you are not commercially trained (ie you dont fit into CAR 5.111). This is 100 hours PIC, 100 hours in a registered or recognised plane, 20 hours cross country PIC of a register or recognised aeroplane, 10 hours IF in register or recognised aircraft (5 hours of which can be in a sim).

So what is a registered aeroplane?

Go to the front of the CAR's (Regulation 2, definitions) "..that is on the register of aircraft kept by a contracting state OR that is operated by the defence force of australia or or a contracting state" RAAus register is run by an association not be the state (Commonwealth).

What is recognised flight time? Turn over the page regulation 2 definitions

".......in the case of flight time in a group A ultralight: flown by the holder of a pilot certificate blah blah blah and is certified by someone authorised by RAAus to certify flight time...."

ALSO

This question has come up before. CASA have provided written confirmation of the 100 hours RAAus time allowed towards the issue of a CPL. RAAus Ops manager should be able to help with that.

Still no mention of Garden Chairs with balloons attached. Seem to have misplaced my copy of the ChAiRs'!

I got a CPL in 1999 based on these principles. Nothing much has changed since (at least not this part).

Another consideration often overlooked in the RA-Aus hours counting towards CPL discussion is the view taken by future employers in the GA arena. It's enough to say most of them will probably be laughing as they throw your CV into the bin if you've got only 100 hours in GA planes on the commercial licence. Especially as the 100 hours is generally split between several aircraft to meet the conditions as mentioned above.

Most logical argument is to figure out what you want to fly and then spend as much time in that aircraft type as possible.

This thread started out talking about GA hours counting for the RAAus cert. Now we are talking about time in Raa planes, credit towards a CPL and the two forms of CPL path. Should a new thread be started as at the moment it is confusing.?.Nev

Before anyone gets the wrong idea from some of the replies here, if one wants to use GA hours for an RAAus certificate, they must also do

(RAAus Ops Manual2.07 b. (3))" ....a minimum of 5 hours flying experience flying recreational aircraft which must include at least one hour solo: or

2.07 c. If holding a current PPL or higher licence, have completed such dual training in a low performance recreational aircraft as is deemed necessary by a CFI and , in any case shall have not less than 5 hours flying experience in a low performance recreational aircraft which shall include a minimum of one hour solo; or

2.07 d. if passed a current GFPT or higher licence, have completed such dual training in a high performance recreational aircraft as is deemed necessary by a CFI.

Note: For the purpose of para C above experience in a GA aircraft may be counted towards the 5 hours(up to the full amount) provided the experience was gained in a recreational aircraft type which may be registered on either the RA-Aus or the VH register, e.g. Jabiru, Gazelle, Skyfox, Lightwing as recognised by the RA-Aus Operations Manager or their delegate.

Simply said this means if you want your PPL hours counted, unless they were in aircraft types as per the note, you must do a minimum of 5 hours and prove your competence.

Cheers Bill