Rudder cable supplier

Could anyone point me towards a local (as in Australian) supplier of 3/32" galvanised 7x7 rudder cable?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Guest ozzie

Hi Dave, i just had a look at your project photo's. Wow! This looks like something that should be launched. What are you going to power this with?

Cheers

ozzie

Hi Ozzie,

The powerplants are potentially going to be 2 x Jetbeetle H150R engines rated at 150lbf each. Horace has a website here where you can see his products.

You will note that the fuel consumption for the H150R is around 1.9 litres per minute (yikes!) so 2 of them at full thrust will be drinking almost 4 litres per minute. Lucky I wont need to fly at full thrust all the time!!!! I will still be able to fly quite comfortably on 2 litres per minute.

Still, the aim of my aircraft is to go flying for 20 minutes and land with a smile on my face (and that of my passenger).

If I need to do a cross country flight for that $300 burger or to attend a fly-in, I intend to have a removable fuel tank that will be form-fitted to the rear seat and will be secured using the 5 point aerobatic harness and be fitted with an adapter to plumb it into the fuel system. This will almost double my fuel capacity and by going to FL180 on cannular oxygen will give me a useful (?) 350nm + reserves range.

Here is a larger photo of the Komet (photoshopped to depict the canopy, nosecone and wheelpants that I have or intend for it).

9.jpg.44d70d31c9701fd6097794c71a73a0be.jpg

I like the way it's shaping up and I am really looking forward to getting back to Oz in November/December to work on it and make good inroads into the fuselage. The wings should be finished by my co-builders before I get back and the tailplane is already finished and mounted (removed for this photo because I had to store the fuselage while I was away). In Nov/Dec, we should have the front seat finished, rollover structure installed, canopy frames and nosecone completed, rudder pedals installed and perhaps get a start on the remaining flight controls. Exciting stuff (for me anyway!)

Cheers,

Dave

Could anyone point me towards a local (as in Australian) supplier of 3/32" galvanised 7x7 rudder cable?Thanks in advance.

Dave

Try Bullivants or John L Robertson if you have either of those locally, they sell lifting equipment, so their products are load rated.

Thanks M61A1 and Gnarly.

Those Adelaide ones are really local so I'll check those out (along with using stainless in lieu of galvanised). If anyone happens to know categorically if stainless and galvanised are interchangeable for rudder cables, I'd appreciate the advice.

Cheers,

Dave

It's your choice whether to use stainless or galvanised cable.

Just bear in mind that we are finding accelerated wear of stainless cables in Cessna and Beechcraft products. The stainless steel is not as amenable to flexing as is galvanised cable.

OME

OME, that's what I understood also. Consequently, I'd prefer galvanised if it's available locally. I know I can get it through Aircraft Spruce US but 40' of it will weigh quite a bit (read "expensive shipping") so if it's available locally at a known and favourable price, I would go that option. So if you could price up 40' of galvanised (if you can source it that is), that would be great.

Dave

Just a word of caution:

If you are going to use any sort of cable in an airplane, make sure that you use certified material. It may cost a few cents more per foot, but you can be assured that the cable has ben made to a standard, not a price. Saving a few cents or a couble of dollars on a component of a primary flight control is not sane economy. The savings won't go far in paying for your funeral.

OME

• Like 1

A word of caution:

If you are going to buy cable for use in control systems, but aviation certified stuff. Certified cable is made to a standard, not a price. It may cost a few cents more per foot, but any savings you make buying uncertified cable won't go far in reducing your funeral expenses.

OME

This is a timely thread. Im researching cable now and I think I need 7x19 in 1/8 for the control column cable and off the top of my head 3/32 for the rest? Do you stock this stuff Mark or would need to order?

Scotty

I've got onto a supplier who will supply me by the foot, not 100' rolls. He will also dispatch straight to you instead of to me then I add postage to your place.

Look at the Announcements Thread.

OME

I think you'll find that OME's reference to the Announcements Thread is in relation to him being offline for about 2 weeks and will be unable to supply anyone with anything (including rudder cable) during that time.

Cheers,

Dave