BFR done...

So after 16 months of no flying I have just completed my flight review and legal to fly again :) thanks to the guys at bunbury aero club for bringing me back up to standard. I did it over multiple lessons over the last few weeks in the tecnam eaglet. Yesterday was just a stunning day to go for a fly, zero wind and silky smooth air, I wish I had a camera with me yesterday, but was too busy doing stalls, steep turns and forced landings anyway ;)

• 2 weeks later...
So after 16 months of no flying I have just completed my flight review and legal to fly again :) thanks to the guys at bunbury aero club for bringing me back up to standard. I did it over multiple lessons over the last few weeks in the tecnam eaglet. Yesterday was just a stunning day to go for a fly, zero wind and silky smooth air, I wish I had a camera with me yesterday, but was too busy doing stalls, steep turns and forced landings anyway ;)

MaGnEtOdRoP: ONYA!!107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

I accomplished a joint GA and RAA AFR on Monday too.

With Angel Flight reminders my AFR expired on July 31, and balancing ambulance and farming commitments, I had scheduled a joint PPL and RAA AFR with Poteroo in Albany on July 30 in a J160. The day commenced nice and fine with a stiff Northerly wind.

I fueled up the Airtourer and pointed her towards Albany, anticpating hopefully a 20 Knot tailwind. The GPS said 40 Kts of tailwind, with the bonus of track being heading. Does it get any better? What should have been a two hour trip was accomplished in 1 hour 21 mins.

Walking into the flying school office I was welcolmed with: "what are you doing here, have you looked at the windsock?"

My responce of: "what, it is nor horizontal, yet" did very little to enhance my cause.

Poteroo firmly intoned he would not even pull the Jabiru out of the hangar. I was happy enough to defer to Poteroo's great wisdom and experience. The CFI stated she was not happy to pull her C150 out of the hangar. Would I consider doing the AFR in the Airtourer?

Nett result. A very pleasant flight in the Airtourer, where the CFI did more more flying in the Airtourer than I, and she was happy to sign me out to commit aviation for another two years. My flight with Poteroo in a Jab will have to wait another two years, good health on Ralph's part and mine willing. After doing an AFR with Poteroo in his C170 in 2004, a flight in a Jab may well be a bit of an anti-climax.

After enjoying the whistling tailwind down, the prospect of the return trip was the flip side. Turning it into a 500 AGL trip was a good excercise with WAC on the knee, and with with less than 25 Kts headwind I knew that I was going to win. 81 mins going down, 145 return. It will be one Log Book entry that I will probably not forget.

• Like 2

What naremman didn't add was that when a northerly is blowing ahead of a cold front, the Stirling Range and the lower Porongorups create really significant mechanical turbulence for 30nm southwards - to Albany and the south coast in fact. We often find it's impossible to fly training under 4000ft, and that's very limiting. Considering that I need oxygen above 500ft agl, in these conditions the younger instructors get to do the reviews.

happy days,