SCHOOL - 1957 vs. 2012

kgwilson

The initial post was meant to be light hearted look at the differences of the Baby Boomers generation to the Gen Xers & Ys of today. There was and is no intent to offend any individual point of view.

Who exactly are these "New Age Clowns"... never heard of that band.

The 'New Age Clowns' were those folks in the mid 1980s who, fresh out of Uni decided to dumb down education. A dumbed down education system made everybody appear to be doing well, even the dumbest of the dumb gets through. This in turn made the teachers appear to be great at their jobs and the schools were considered the place to send your kids. The reality is that we now have people who cannot spell correctly and have poor math skills. Even Matric (year 12) can be a joke with kids doing rubbish subjects and leaving the Maths, English and Science alone. The older teachers who opposed the dumbing down were driven out of the system, my (ex) girlfriend being one of them. Males were especially targeted as they tended to hold on to the traditional ways. I could ramble on and on but, I'm hungry and need to eat.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

Just heard on the radio today that a school teacher was in court for throwing a duster at students, when I was at school this was almost a daily (if not several times daily) occurence! Seriously nobody ever 'lost an eye', but we all listened and sat up straight!

J 170. Nice try If I believe you.

. Are these female teachers who groom young men for sex, from sweden? After all sex education is left to the teachers because the system puts all the childrens needs onto the teachers and none on the parents. Theory alone, won't be as successfull as "hands on" experience. as a follow up. If they had done that in catholic schools , maybe the choir boys would have been better off.Nev

Just heard on the radio today that a school teacher was in court for throwing a duster at students, when I was at school this was almost a daily (if not several times daily) occurence! Seriously nobody ever 'lost an eye', but we all listened and sat up straight!

Yep, I have had a few thrown at me and other class mates.Nobody got hurt and nobody went to court.Geez court, how excessive is that.

Yeah school in the 60's and early 70's was great. Some teachers were pretty good at teaching and kept the attention of the class and we learned, we had some teachers that just thrived on bullying. Lucky we had good head masters that moved these on. Lucky to be part of one of the better public schools. After these generations of teachers retired the whole system pretty well collapsed. I think one of the main reason's i did finish and received my leaving certificate was the fact they gave me a Bren gun to play with.

Well, as I read these posts, is would seem to me, that those level-headed folks who had a bit of discipline from both their teachers, and also their parents in their younger years, tend to agree, that a litle bit of discipline did them good and they have respect for others in the longterm.

Others, who are possibly younger, or, who have grown up in this "Mamby Pamby" era, seem to consider that anyone receiving stern words from someone in authority, could not only scar kids for the rest of their lives, and should consequently sue the ass off the authorities, I genuinely feel sorry for you, for you also have missed out on an important lesson in life.

There were obviously a few teachers who used to overstep their authority in the past, but they were normally weeded out after a short time and rightfully so.

I have an aquaitance whos a teacher with a bit of a colourful past. He's a fellow who's done wrong in his life and learned his lessons and studied to be a teacher behind bars.

He realises that if kids are allowed to do what most of his colleagues and the present day system generally tollerate, they try to rule the roost in the clasroom, and do not learn anywhere near their potential.

He will not put up with any crap, has the utmost repect from his pupils because they are just slightly wary of him, and he gets remarkable results from his kids and also the utmost repect from the greater majority of their parents

Almost every other weekend, he's invited to their Birthday parties, which surely would never happen, if he was totally wrong in his outlook on teaching.

I think the most obvious sign that some of us were "beaten" as kids is the almost "angry" response to the idea that they don't get to do it to the next generation....

Planedriver points out that his mate is a very well respected teacher who gets results... all under the current system of not hitting the kids. We should expect the same standard of all our teachers.

• Like 1