Cougar questions

Timbot

Hi Guys,

I'm considering the cougar for a vh-experimental build. Seems like reasonable bang for buck. If anyone can offer informed comment on the following points it would be appreciated:

1. Engine options - Is this really a viable 4 seat aircraft with anything less than 150 horsies? I see someone is building one with a viking 110hp motor. I'm not aware of any 4 seat aircraft powered with anything less than a Jab 3300 so this surprised me. Should I forget about anything less than an O-320 if I want a proper 4(adult) seat aircraft?

2. Endurance - with the website quoted 100L tanks and 0-320 burning 30L/hour that's less than 3 hours endurance with reserves intact. Can wing tanks be installed for this configuration?

2. With the main fuel tank located behind the firewall, at MTOW with 4 pax and a few bags can the CofG ever move beyond aft limits as fuel is burnt?

Cheers

Tim

Garry is already talking to the manufacturer about getting O320s for the Cougar.

The Jabiru was really more for a proof of concept 2+2 to be RAA registered.

With RAA trying to put Garry out of business, this could be the mainstay of future development.

It will be a true 4 seater. Wing tanks are definitely available, in fact the front tank will only be a header.

CofG will be given lots of attention. There will be changes for easier access and comfort.

The Cougar will IMHO be the best bang for buck 4 seater available.

Like the Scottish Olympic motto - faster, cheaper, tastier.

• Like 1

Hi there Tim,

The MTOW will be raised to 950kg this is 50kg for the 0320 motor and 100kg for fuel in the wing tanks + the header 100Lt tank, C of G with 2 x 90kg in the front and 160kg in the back seat will require 1/3 fuel in the front tank to keep in the c/g range . On our web site is photos of our latest Cougar with some up dates. with the 3.3 Jabiru motor at 600kg it will cruise at 125kts, so with the 0320 150hp ( they seem to have the same fuel burn)you will have 140-150 kts cruise depending on load.

• Like 1

Goodaye Tim

l looked very carfully at kits available 2 years ago and the Couger ticked my boxes.

However l did go out on a limb with Kit #1 and the Viking.

l would have been happy to delete the rear seats, but they stay and wont get used that often.

Biggest thing is running costs, mine will be much lower than if it was fitted with a Jab or 0-320

Originally the Viking was marketed at 115hp, and can do 117hp at redline 6600 and that was before the new upgrade.

Something to keep in mind more power=more costs.

The airframe is solid, with some clever contruction techniuqes being employed in the design.

Best of all Gary is a phone call, email away and always answers questions promptley.

He's a easy bloke to speak to as well.

l would be intersted in what changes Gary makes for more weight and power of the 0320, there's talk of a turbo Viking in the future.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

Garry tells me he is being harassed daily by RAA at the moment, along with CASA hell bent on putting him out of business. The only reason seems to be that someone did something in one of his aeroplanes that ended up embarrassing RAA, and their registration and documentation process was found to be totally lacking. The fact that in over 20 years none of Garry's aircraft have ever had a structural failure and the airframe is one of the strongest available is not even a consideration.

IMHO Garry is a gifted Aeronautical Engineer with some fantastic products that are simple in design, very strong, light weight and perform with the best of the best LSAs. His written expression and spelling may not be that crash hot but what has that got to do with anything. He also hates computers and keeps all of his records manually. This is a witch hunt, the same as the one against Ian and his membership. It annoys me so much that I will likely cancel my membership, register my aircraft with SAAA & go RPL if I ever fail my class 2 medical.

• Like 1

Sorry Off Topic : I apologise if this hits a raw nerve ...

I have to say that there appears to be shall we say 'non supportive' activity coming from RAAus towards Garry and his Morgan Aeroworks business.

We are all aware of the incident last year at Old Bar that focused on some unfortunate defects in the Morgan aircraft. I find it interesting that certain RA Aus deficiencies in the administration of aircraft types and registrations were also highlighted as a result of the incident. Neither the non compliant items or the alleged incorrect registration had any direct or indirect causal factor in the incident, yet significant focus has been placed on the Morgan operation.

What I find particularly abhorrent is the possibility (I say possibility) that Garry and Morgan Aeroworks have become a sacrificial 'scapegoat' to the political foray that unraveled as a result of the highly publicised incident. What amazes me is that all the focus appears to be on Morgan, what about the irresponsible placement of the Ferris Wheel within the ALA splays? If the Ferris wheel had not been in the splays (splays are there to provide a safety margin when things go wrong) there would have been no incident other than a Morgan aircraft low and slow departing the runway within the splays.

I would have thought that in the spirit in which RAAus was formed and under its Charter, RAAus should be lending all support necessary for Garry to get Morgan Aeroworks across the line and keep what essentially is an Australian aircraft business operating and in so doing sort out ther own registration / certification issues. I am sure if Garry had the right support he could turn things around, put the necessary systems in place and regain appropriate certification. Some times I wonder why we victimise Australian Businesses and allow imports into the country as a preference. Do we scrutinise foreign manufacturing facilities to same extent we do to Australian facilities? I don't know. But something smells to high heaven over this issue. I am under no disillusionment that Garry probably needs to do a fair bit of investment to meet certain criteria, so why isn't he being given support to do that by the very organisation whose responsibility is to foster this sector of aviation?

• Like 2

Back on topic:

There are many GA aircraft that can be flown out of balance as the fuel burns off, this not unique to Morgan which is why a through knowledge of the w&b data are essential to any aircraft operator. I would imagine the heavier 0-320 would help w&b in any case.

• Like 1