Oz Runways

techie49

As the proud owner of a new IPad, bought by my lovely wife for my birthday. ( Can you let go of my arm now dear), can anyone using the Oz Runways package give me an unbiased opinion as to whether it's any good.

The website makes it look very good but a user's view is a little better. What is good? What if anything is not so good?

Paul Toone

I think it's very good value for money. IMHO has a way to go to catch up with the likes of Garmin or Avmap or even RunwayHD (another iPad app much more expensive) but assuming you own an iPad, money well spent. I don't know I would recommend buying an iPad just to use Oz runways.

I think it is an awesome program, too. As I learn to use more of the functions it becomes even awsomer.

I now use my iPad to do most of the things I previously did on my laptop...email, Internet, flight planning and reminders. The gps is accurate and the portability is great. If you also use an iPhone you get a second platform for the app as well.

Kaz

My opinion

Great for planning but in flight I find it too hard to use. (the iPad not the programme)

I find too much time spent looking at the device and not enough time outside

I have seen here where people have them mounted on the dash and I would suspect that would be good if that is an option but in my case I do not have room for this option.

I have other dash mounted equipment which I fly with but for planning and submitting flight plans - hard to beat in my experience.

It may be that I have been flying off the dash and not my knee for too long so it comes down to what an individual is more comfortable with but the

programme I find is great.

FrankM

Fantastic program... In the words of Molly Melrum........Do Youself A Favour! Looks like it may soon be CASA approved for flight planning and navigation.... I went to the Oz Runways training forum at Natfly... I think that 80% of the pilots at the airfield attended and most were holding an IPad with Oz Runways installed. Also great to have a local product with local support made here in good old OZ....

Mardy

by saying american efbs (electronic flight bag) i was referring to WingX Pro and the like...having played with them, albeit on the ground, i think OZrunways is just as good if not better, backed up by the fact teh bas and neil are grassroots pilots like us (well, most of us anyways :D)

I have used it serveral times for flights. The whole concept is very good and provides a comprehensive system for flight planning. However i do not rely on it as my sole means of navigation. I use it at a backup and cross reference prefering to use the old pencil, map and calculated flight plan sheet. Go and load the 30 day free trial and test it out - thats the only way you will know if you like it.