Dr. Carol Richards' Meritorious Service Award

As most of you will have read in the last Sport Pilot magazine, Carol is to be recognized (deliberately spelled with a z) at the AGM for her outstanding service to RA Aus. Unfortunately, due to prior commitments, I won't be there to give her an atta-girl hug. But if someone there could give her one for me, I sure would appreciate it.

• Like 1

As most of you will have read in the last Sport Pilot magazine, Carol is to be recognized (deliberately spelled with a z) at the AGM for her outstanding service to RA Aus. Unfortunately, due to prior commitments, I won't be there to give her an atta-girl hug. But if someone there could give her one for me, I sure would appreciate it.

Can't be there to do any hugging on your behalf Wayne T, but I totally agree that Carol's contribution to fun flying has put wider horizons into interpretation of the adjective 'meritorious'. A very apt & deserving recipient (and most huggable too)!! 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

He's an idea...someone at the AGM put a motion forward that this web site be awarded with a Meritorious Service Award for everything that it has done for recreational aviation...I wonder how that would go down 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif

Seriously though...the only other person to be awarded with such a distinction has been Tony Hayes who did so much for the Thruster Aircraft Owners so Carol is in great company and it is a thrill to hear it going to such a worthy person...good on'ya Cazza!

• Like 1

Yair, well, on the subject of "THAT WOMAN"... I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I am aware that Carol and the two Steves have had their differences in the past and some of their encounters have not been pleasant. But...

When I first contacted Steve Runciman to see about having Carol recognized, I wanted her to have life membership. Steve R. advised me to apply for a Meritorious Service Award for Carol instead, and went on to tell me why and how to do that. When I heard that if Carol got life membership, she'd never be able to hold office in RA Aus again, I thought, "Buggah that, there's way too many miles left in this lady to be putting her permanently out to pasture." So I did what Steve R. suggested, and he then took the ball and ran with it, supporting the application until it was approved by the board.

For that, and what he did to find out where and when the award could be presented to Carol, the man deserves credit, and I will give him an atta-boy for what he did.

CFI

Oh, that. Well yair, thank you. Jill Bailey inspected my FTF and took me for a flight test last Monday which I managed to pass, despite having two bloody sore arms I got from an encounter with a wind-gust driven runaway hangar door a week before. Net result? I am now very proud to be a CFI, as well as an L3, in RA Aus... It was funny at one point. Ken Flower has been my CFI for over a year, and when I told him I didn't think I'd be able to do the flight test because I couldn't start the J3, Ken said, "Why don't you do what normal people do, and use an aircraft with an electric starter? I'll bring the Sierra down and you can use that." Which is what happened. Thank you Ken...

The aviation fraternity needs more people like Carol Richards.. Even with her 'MSA', she was still not too proud to be sitting on a quad-bike for hours doing duty at AusFly - whilst most of the rest of us just sit back and enjoy the event/s.

• Like 3

Thanks Nev. I consider myself lucky to have had the chance to train with a couple of excellent CFIs in Kev Walters and then Ken Flower. In the interests of delivering standardized training in NW NSW, Ken and I will be continueing to work closely together so that we're delivering the same product. So I don't envisage too much of my doing things "my way" any time soon, because we've pretty well got it set up the way we want it. Now all we need is to get more people interested in learning to fly. Do you know anyone interested in learning to fly a J3?

the J-3 would be an easier T/W to fly than a lot of T/W U/L's. I would recomment someone to use them as an experience or if they want to fly DH 82's. Austers , Pacer's etc. What's the engine? A C65? . They use very little fuel Nev

• Like 1

Thanks Nev. I consider myself lucky to have had the chance to train with a couple of excellent CFIs in Kev Walters and then Ken Flower. In the interests of delivering standardized training in NW NSW, Ken and I will be continueing to work closely together so that we're delivering the same product. So I don't envisage too much of my doing things "my way" any time soon, because we've pretty well got it set up the way we want it. Now all we need is to get more people interested in learning to fly. Do you know anyone interested in learning to fly a J3?

I do Wayne! I just need to wash the dishes at the pub for the next year to pay for it! When my Piet is closer to completion you will be the man to get me back up to scratch!

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

the J-3 would be an easier T/W to fly than a lot of T/W U/L's. I would recomment someone to use them as an experience or if they want to fly DH 82's. Austers , Pacer's etc. What's the engine? A C65? . They use very little fuel Nev

Mine was built in '46 with a C65 and metal spars. Dad bought it in the mid '70s when it had a C75, and then in '88, he put the C85 in it I have now. I flight plan for 60kts burning 20ltrs per hr because they're easy numbers to use, and I know I'll have a pleasant surprise at the other end, which is the way I like it.

I do Wayne! I just need to wash the dishes at the pub for the next year to pay for it! When my Piet is closer to completion you will be the man to get me back up to scratch!Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Not a problem Scotty. Just let me know and I'll do whatever I can to help you.

• Like 1