Bringing the CT4 home...

Matt

Possibly one of the shortest delivery flights ever completed, today we picked up our new (well new for us) CT-4A, Air Force serial number A19-046 / GA VH-MCT. The trip to her new home was about 10nm from Hall ACT to Canberra Airport, although we did spend a fair bit of time up at Goulburn doing famil flights most of the day - good day for it too with 30kt winds all day! This is when it's nice to have a bit of extra weight and a high wing loading, the CT4 handles the strong wind and turblence without much drama, in fact I was surprised at how easy it was to fly in the circuit and cruising in todays conditions. Cruise at 23"/2600 (manifold pressure/RPM) was 130KIAS burning about 42L/hour...not quite ultralight numbers for the fuel but it does weight 1110kg fully loaded. Max groundspeed today was 165kts heading from Hall to Goulburn, nice bit of tailwind there.

Also tested the 20kt crosswind component quite a few times, it's very solid in a crosswind this strong without any real vices...in fact made me look pretty good for my first few landings, can't be a bad thing.

We clocked up about 3 hours and 15 landings today as well as a bit of airwork with stalls etc. Off to Temora tomorrow (Sunday) to spend some time with her ex-Air Force family...oh, and one current one...big brother F111!

Here's some pics from today...no GPS tracks today, haven't quite got all the toys sorted yet.

Some cockpit familiarisation at Goulburn, there was also a very nice Yak52 out and about up there today.

New home, on the grass at Canberra

The best wife in the world! :big_grin:

Who's a happy boy then?! :big_grin:

Some 'artistic' shooting from Kaz

Skippy's always with us :)

Guest David C

Thanks for inviting us on the delivery flight . You must be very proud . Unfortunately I can't be at Temora , but have a great day and enjoy the experience . BTW are you going to keep the flying kangaroo ,are is a new colour scheme on the cards ? .

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear

Awesome stuff Matt and Kaz! Congrats from both of us :) Hope to see her next weekend. We will be there when you arrive. Keep us posted. More pics too when you can. ;)

We'll be keeping the flying kangaroo, the 'new' paint scheme will be the original RAAF scheme - Orange, White and Black with the ARDU flashes...and yes, we're very proud of our new baby.

Cheers,

Matt & Kaz

PS: Here's some more pics as requested

CT-4A and baby brother the AirTourer

Temora today, in company with some other warbirds

My brother at Temora today

Pilot's view

@ Goulburn yesterday

Guest Fred Bear

Excellent stuff Matt. Thanks for the extra pics! Glad you had a safe flight there and back. What is that behind you? Lucky I can read some Cyrillic. Aero something Moscow? She would have felt right at home there mate ;) Good stuff too keeping the paint scheme.

PS It's ok I think it's Aeroclub Moscow or something similar.

Guest Fred Bear

Lovely lovely. Nice machine too. Would love to see one of those you-know-where ;) I was close I guess. The lessons I had from relos while over there must have paid off. Little rusty now I think. 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

So wadjareakon of the Airshow at Temora? Bloody briwyant, where else would you see a Saab doing a beat up? That would have to be the closest an F111 has done a ripup like that to a crowd, you could feel the heat from the dump and burn.

Yep, If you want to see up close and personal, go to Temora.

I was over there for the FA18s a couple of months ago. Comments from well travelled airshow devotees was that they had never been so close to the action. The F111 was good, but the FA18s won hands down for quality and duration of display.

It's a credit to the township and the owner(?) of the facility.