Site Update - Google Earth Airstrips

Admin

Hi All

Well, FINALLY we have an updated Google Earth Airstrips Section of the site.

NOTE: ONLY AVAILABLE TO REGISTERED SITE USERS

Since we moved over to the forum software that we currently use, we have had to still use the old software to enable the Recreational Flying Google Earth Airstrips. This has meant that we didn't have proper integration with the forums, users and other pertinent information. NOW, we have a fully integrated Google Earth Airstrips section for you to use when trying to see what an Airstrip looks like from the air, or obtain more information about an airstrip when you need to.

You can:

• Add your own airstrips whether they are Major, Licensed, Unlicensed or even Private

• Edit existing airstrips with more up to date information

• Add all kinds of information to any airstrip like places to stay, places to visit, contact information for fuel etc etc etc...you can add anything to tell others about the airstrip

• You can add a link in an airstrip to a forum thread where you may be discussing all kinds of helpful information, even information on aspects of safety regarding the airstrip

• You can add a link in the airstrip to say for example the ERSA page, or a website for the airstrip etc

• You can add an image to the airstrip...perhaps what the club rooms look like etc

The Recreational Flying Google Earth Airstrip Section is an extremely powerful tool for you to use, keep updated, add more information...even "Hey forumites, if you land here give me a ring on x and we can catch up".

4.jpg.c8a259b620b94467eff145798b751965.jpg

To access the Airstrips Section, simply go to the "Resources" section on the main menu and select "Airstrips" from there.

PLEASE NOTE: I urgently welcome any feedback that you can give...any areas where you think it can be improved etc...as that is the only way that I can make it even more powerful and specific for you to use...plus I have to give the "OK" that it has been tested and working properly as soon as possible

Enjoy...

1.jpg.a0bf2202c5d028ec40d6dc866d09f87c.jpg

2.jpg.b9325a424c70598cd874f476799a20f6.jpg

3.jpg.086aa77aea799589261d7be7dfe1516e.jpg

Chris, the Thread URL is a link to a thread in the forums. If you have started a thread in the forums discussing the airfield, then copy the URL of it and insert it in the "Thread URL" field of the Airstrip

However, there are 2 fields that you can insert a link in:

Website

Thread URL

You could insert a link to anything in these fields. A link to the ERSA page on the Air Services web site, a link to a Social Group here on Recreational Flying etc.

Do you think I should rename the field titles to simply "Link 1" and "Link 2"?

Chris, the Thread URL is a link to a thread in the forums. If you have started a thread in the forums discussing the airfield, then copy the URL of it and insert it in the "Thread URL" field of the AirstripHowever, there are 2 fields that you can insert a link in:

Website

Thread URL

You could insert a link to anything in these fields. A link to the ERSA page on the Air Services web site, a link to a Social Group here on Recreational Flying etc.

Do you think I should rename the field titles to simply "Link 1" and "Link 2"?

Hi Ian,

I have modified the Cleve YCEE entry with a couple of notes and inserted the local councils URL for their aerodrome ops and contact details in the "Website" field as they are the owner and operator of the field. I think a seperate and fixed link to the relevant ERSA FAC entry might be useful but would take a fair bit of work I would imagine.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, I have just added a link to the Cleve (YCEE) ERSA page in the description of the Airstrip so users can click details and they will be able to see a link to the ERSA for it in the description field:

Details:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/hotspots/ycee.154/

Map:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/hotspots/ycee.154/map

Also to everyone, the Recreational Flying Google Earth Airstrips are ONLY available to registered site users so any details of your self like "Give me a ring on x if you land here and we can get together" are only seen by other registered site users and NOT the public so your privacy is protected to some extent.

It would be great if we could build the community up in this area as well...it is always good to be able to have a "friend" at an airstrip that we may drop in to

Ian, is the base kml/kmz file available for offline use ?

No its not, wouldn't know how to get it, does it have one? It simply uses the Google Maps API v3 but perhaps this is something that others may be able to say more on and mark it for future enhancement potential if working in with a flight planner or something else

Sorry, I was referring to the airfields database, is that available as a kml or even just a textfile ?

Well, it is records in two tables in the site database...one table with a row for each Airstrip Category and one table with a row for each Airstrip. Why do you ask?...It isn't public data if that is what you are asking.

I only ask as I am looking for a reliable source of a geographical database of Australian airports, aerodromes & airstrips.

I would like to have it for offline route planning and conversion to GPS format.

However, if the data's proprietory, I understand.

I have a lot of work to do to clean up many of the entries and add more info to them so yes, it is propriety however, as we have discussed other things down the track, let's put that as an agenda item mate!

Why are co-ordinates decimal degrees instead of degrees and decimal minutes like the ERSA?Creating a hotspot was easy enough, first try, a good interface.

That's how Google works...unfortunately

Why are co-ordinates decimal degrees instead of degrees and decimal minutes like the ERSA?

Because decimal minutes are sooooooooo 20th century !

That's how Google works...unfortunately

As do most GIS programmes

When using google maps outside this interface there are three selectable co-ordinate formats in a menu , from memory, I remember changing it when I tried to organise the savannah muster, pilots wanted the degrees, decimal minutes format, which is also the format that their GPS uses too.

A bug was found...thanks to a new entry that had an incorrect format of the coordinates - (Skyfox Airstrip) added s (for South) and e (for East) after the coordinates which caused the whole main map to shut down. The developer is creating a validation process so the coordinates are checked for their correct input format first.

Hi Ian was that me l wonder what happened l couldn't fix it because it vanished from screen .cheers Geoff.

I didn't want to dob you in mate but YES, it was you, you brought the entire world, or Australia at least, down into oblivion 078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Currently getting fixed but thanks for exposing the bug 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I didn't want to dob you in mate but YES, it was you, you brought the entire world, or Australia at least, down into oblivion 078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifCurrently getting fixed but thanks for exposing the bug 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thats alright l though that was my job exposing you all .094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif

The Recreational Flying Google Earth Airstrips is all fixed now with a popup warning being displayed if the Lat/Long Coordinates are not entered correctly.

If you find any more bugs please let me know urgently...thanks...for what its worth, I think it has come up working and looking fantastic, a great tool for all of us. Some extras that I will look into getting coded with it are:

- A Search function for specific strips

- A 3rd tab that contains discussions on any of the Airstrips

- A default Country View that is linked to the Country you have selected in your settings however you can also select a different Country from a drop down list to view the Airstrips in that Country.