Davis DA2A

Scotty

Does anyone out know much about these little V-tail machines? Has anyone owned one or flown one?I have seen there is one for sale in w.a. and thought I might check it out if they are a good thing.

Scotty, can't be registered RAAus as stall speed is well over 50kts. The DA-2A does not have flaps. Empty weight of these aircraft is around 350kgs and design MTOW is 1200lbs / 544kgs. With a fuel capacity of 90 ltrs then can't carry two 80kgs people and full fuel.

Cheers

I get bogged down with the continual changes. Some a/c are 600kg and ultralights, I think, but don't know if it applies to that a/c. Stall speeeds can be fudged. If one gets through, it's a piece of cake for the rest. See if any were ultralights. Don't know if you worked on Contiental 0-200. Has new and older cyl. heads shown by shape of fins. Three oversizes for pistons which means 4 lives. Want to buy on the first life. Price wise depends a lot on demand. If you are the only one interested then theoretically you can name the price. Once looked at an a/c at a salvage yard and asking about 7 grand. The engine was thrown into one room. Bits of the tail were in another room and the rest dumped on a farm. He said if he didn't sell it he would bury it into a hole in the ground. A lot of a/c sit stored away for a lifetime because they are too much work for the owner to fix up-especially req. fabric recover. Should give it away on the hope someone will fix it up.

• Like 2

Scotty, can't be registered RAAus as stall speed is well over 50kts. The DA-2A does not have flaps. Empty weight of these aircraft is around 350kgs and design MTOW is 1200lbs / 544kgs. With a fuel capacity of 90 ltrs then can't carry two 80kgs people and full fuel.Cheers

Cheers for the info, Im not too worried about the RAAus rego as Vh rego maint is no problem for me where I am. Sounds like it has a similar problem as the C150. 2 average size people on board equals not much weight left for fuel.

I get bogged down with the continual changes. Some a/c are 600kg and ultralights, I think, but don't know if it applies to that a/c. Stall speeeds can be fudged. If one gets through, it's a piece of cake for the rest. See if any were ultralights. Don't know if you worked on Contiental 0-200. Has new and older cyl. heads shown by shape of fins. Three oversizes for pistons which means 4 lives. Want to buy on the first life. Price wise depends a lot on demand. If you are the only one interested then theoretically you can name the price. Once looked at an a/c at a salvage yard and asking about 7 grand. The engine was thrown into one room. Bits of the tail were in another room and the rest dumped on a farm. He said if he didn't sell it he would bury it into a hole in the ground. A lot of a/c sit stored away for a lifetime because they are too much work for the owner to fix up-especially req. fabric recover. Should give it away on the hope someone will fix it up.

I had a look at a Long EZ last week that fell into the that category of sitting around for years because the owner cant afford the cost or time to fix it up. It would be a great project if you got it very cheap or had it given to you. Unfortunately he id too attached to it and wants way too much for it which makes it not a worthwhile project.

The most critical part of that a/c is the cunnard and possible flutter. It has had extensive windtunnel testing and redesign. It has to be the right weight, size, balance, shape, profile and angle of incidence. Your life depends on some cowboy getting it right in his home workshop maybe after a late night out.

The most critical part of that a/c is the cunnard and possible flutter. It has had extensive windtunnel testing and redesign. It has to be the right weight, size, balance, shape, profile and angle of incidence. Your life depends on some cowboy getting it right in his home workshop maybe after a late night out.

Yep, he had made a few changes to it that arent on the plans and this was the big no no sign for me. He still wanted 35 000 for it when there is a flying and tested example for sale for 50 000. A bit of a dreamer i thnk.

• 7 months later...
Does anyone out know much about these little V-tail machines? Has anyone owned one or flown one? I have seen there is one for sale in w.a. and thought I might check it out if they are a good thing.

They are a good thing. I bought the one in WA. It is a gem to fly but I am having trouble adjusting to the higher landing speeds. It climbs well and the cruise speed of 110 kts is conservative.

If I remember correctly they were designed for time to climb competition, so they should go up like rockets. Visibility not the best from what I have seen.

• Like 1

They are a good thing. I bought the one in WA. It is a gem to fly but I am having trouble adjusting to the higher landing speeds. It climbs well and the cruise speed of 110 kts is conservative.

Congrats on the purchase! Sound like it was a good buy. Where abouts are you keeping it? I would still love to check it out.

If Steve Whitman... and Jim Bede designed a plane together Im sure it would of looked like this in the 70s.. I like it.

Ha, I was just about to write; "So someone made a sports version of a BD4..."!

• 5 months later...
Congrats on the purchase! Sound like it was a good buy. Where abouts are you keeping it? I would still love to check it out.

Hi, Sorry about the delay in replying. The Davis is in South Australia at Brooklands Airpark near Wellington. It is everything you could want in flying but limited in range with two adults up. Cheap to run. 110 knots TAS and as long as you stick to the numbers easy to fly. It is very sensitive so you have to be wary of overcontrolling.