takeoff and landing distance?

Hi there,

Hoping someone can jog my memory as to where to get started figuring this out. I have tried googling it, but so far have only come up with some very complicated articles using maths symbols I have never seen, or links to apps to do it for me - I seem to remember having learned this at some point, something to do with calculating pressure and density altitude, but having trouble remembering the connective tissue that ties it into the takeoff and landing distance.

POH just shows the distances at ICAO std atmosphere, but say I want to know what it is at 30* and 2500' AMSL?

thanks, all help gratefully received :)

Think you will have trouble deriving figures. Larger planes like a Beaver would probably have a very adequate Graph/chart which will give you a trend but beware of engines that are supercharged that can compensate for power loss due to altitude.

You can run into a length limit due to low power and the need to accelerate to a higher actual speed, and a performance (climb) limit due to density altitude. Pretty difficult job I reckon. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

Koch chart looks like the way to go. I would be adding at least a 20% buffer to any figure extrapolated from the Koch chart and exercise extreme caution when taking off in hot/high conditions.

Do you have the instructions on how to use the chart?

You could also employ the 80/50 rule. That is if you have not achieved 80% of your flight speed in 50% of your available take off distance, then abort!

PS: Did some searching and found a number of different Jab 17o POH's, with different figures in the performance section!!ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

I know that the Mooney has comprehensive data and you are not getting to the "high" altitude limit situation. You might study the chart for that aircraft and ovserve the magnititude of the effect of density altitude on THAT aircraft. This will give you some idea of what "order " of effect you might be dealing with. I would try to compare yours with an aircraft that has a ssimilar service ceiling and power/weight ratio. You are only going to get an evaluation of what might be the effect but at least it is something. Any time I am doing a limiting take -off with a high altitude and temperature I evaluate the take-off performance and have a point on the runway where I abort the take-off if the plane is not performing . Nev

wow thanks for that Mike, I wish all aviation docs were this clearly written. So in absence of a computer or chart, i could probably start with the following from this document:

An increase in density altitude, therefore,

has a two-fold effect on the takeoff:

• An increased takeoff speed (TAS) is

required.

• Engine power and propeller efficiency

are reduced.

• The approximate effect of these two

components on takeoff and landing

performance are:

• The takeoff distance is increased by one

percent for every 100 feet of aerodrome

pressure altitude above sea level, and