U.S. Running out of pilots

fatmal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203937004578079391643223634.html

Seems that even with 3 years notice, the US Airlines have only just realised that they're about to run out of pilots.

New rules require a minimum of 1,500 hours to get into the right seat - regional airlines in the US pay US$20k as a base, and only for cabin door close to cabin door open. By the time you've got 1,500 hours you're probably $50k in debt - and they wonder why nobody seems interested!

Well Australia is certainly capable of doing its part in training airline pilots.

A friend of mine went on a charter from Essendon through the Flinders Ranges, and the pilot, aged 26 said, he had flown more hours than most commercial pilots in their life.

When my friend asked how that could be possible, he said he had spent 4 years training Chinese Pilots at their dedicated airport in Merriden, 250 Km east of Perth which operates three shifts a day 24/7..

They apparently train four times the number of commercial pilots at their two privately owned Chinese airports in Western Australia than the rest of Australian commercial pilots.

Well Australia is certainly capable of doing its part in training airline pilots.A friend of mine went on a charter from Essendon through the Flinders Ranges, and the pilot, aged 26 said, he had flown more hours than most commercial pilots in their life.

When my friend asked how that could be possible, he said he had spent 4 years training Chinese Pilots at their dedicated airport in Merriden, 250 Km east of Perth which operates three shifts a day 24/7..

They apparently train four times the number of commercial pilots at their two privately owned Chinese airports in Western Australia than the rest of Australian commercial pilots.

Seems unlikely that a 26 yo, with an absolute maximum of 7 years flying possible on a CPL, could amass 15,000 hrs?? Even with a dispensation against CAO flight & duty times - China Southern instructors do not fly more than 1000 h/pa. Most young instructors fly the absolute minimum years with China Southern because Merredin is not exactly a balmy holiday resort, and their chances of moving into the Citation Jet instructing is none and Buckleys....(CS employ ex RPT C&T people). CS doesn't train Australians - they only train Chinese nationals for their own operation so cannot possibly influence overall training output in Australia. [my source is their former CFI]

As far as I know - there is no shortage of CPL's in Australia. The shortages have been in experienced ATPL's for the FIFO market. But, as mining levels out - this demand will cease. The skeptic in me says that this 'worry' about a shortfall in pilots for the airline, or ag, or instructing, or whatever industry is more about the training industry pushing for more students......whether in the US, Europe or Australia.

happy days,