GoPro Camera

Compulsion

i have 3 gopro cameras, and yes, the suction mount is strong enough to stick the airframe externally. but i have stuck a few of the flat mount brackets on the aircraft in a few locations so i no longer need the suction cups. just need to make sure the suction cup itself, and the surface are free of any dust dirt bugs etc. even use a little water to be sure.. also, you can also tether it, but make sure that the tether line and camera itself wont hit the airframe of any control surfaces.

i have never had the suction cup come off anything yet, including cars, motorbikes, kayak and the savannah. also, dont plan on being near the 8000 ft or higher mark as the lower air pressure will mean less suction power holding it on.

I have read that the suction cup mount works on a wing and will not come off.

Compulsion,

We have the GP 2 aswell, but don't just trust the suction cup mounts on their own. There would be nothing worse than flying at 100+ knts and the GP falls off at whatever altitude you are going to film at.

We are still working on a design to mount ours to the strut, and finding something a bit more suitable to secure it to the mount.

-Linda

We mount our camera on the lower surface of the wing right where the strut joins the wing. The I use zip ties to secure it to the strut just in case. You can also use some duct tape around the suction cup to the aircraft skin for more security.

I might also put a mount on the roof between the pilot and passenger.

We have that aswell.

We made a bracket out of 2" aluminium flat and bent it to make a flat surface to put one of the sticky mounts onto it and then attached it to the frame behind our heads with some wide velcro tape and it sits with little or no movement.

-Linda

Worth reading the new draft CAAP for electronic flight bags for the section on approvals at http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/newrules/ops/nprm/nprm1211os_annexd.pdf

eg para 7.9 would apply if you mounted your iPhone on a frame:

All EFBs that are mounted to the aircraft structure will require airworthiness approval (Subpart 21.M of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998) for the mounting device.

Different technical considerations, especially for external mounts, but you will find that the same rule applies to cameras.

Worth reading the new draft CAAP for electronic flight bags for the section on approvals at http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/newrules/ops/nprm/nprm1211os_annexd.pdfeg para 7.9 would apply if you mounted your iPhone on a frame:

Different technical considerations, especially for external mounts, but you will find that the same rule applies to cameras.

Would that include having a pepper spray gaffer taped to the strut?

Take a look at regs , 21.405, 21.093 and 21.095 plus the CAAP at http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/airworth/35_7.pdf

A person may apply to CASA or an authorised person, in writing, for a modification/repair design approval for the design of a modification of, or a repair to. ..... A minor change is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of an aircraft, aircraft engine or propeller. All other changes are major changes.

So, if your camera or pepper spray has no appreciable effect ... then it is a minor change requiring approval. If it does have an appreciable effect then it is a major change requiring approval. No provision in CASA regs for, say, a very minor change which does not require approval.
  • Like 1

So if you have an aircraft registered with the RAAus (hopefully) you still have to apply to CASA? I thought that was the reason for having the RAAus so we would not have to pester them.

I have just ordered a GoPro camera for my J170. I have read that the suction cup mount works on a wing and will not come off. Can anyone give me advice on mounting a camera external to the cockpit. I have ordered the GoPro2

I have a Contour camera and made a bracket from aluminium. Used cable ties to strap that to the wing strut and a bit of mouse pad to prevent the thing scratching the plane. Next time you see me, I'll show you the video (if I remember).

Take a look at regs , 21.405, 21.093 and 21.095 plus the CAAP at http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/airworth/35_7.pdfSo, if your camera or pepper spray has no appreciable effect ... then it is a minor change requiring approval. If it does have an appreciable effect then it is a major change requiring approval. No provision in CASA regs for, say, a very minor change which does not require approval.

Ah, okay. I guess in the case of going flying in bear country it's better to not tell them at all, then. I can't think of how a gaffer taped piece of "equipment" (pepper spray) would ever be approved, even if it's gaffer taped on the strut near the fuselage or something, and it would be quite dangerous to keep the pepper spray inside the cockpit/cabin in case it popped.

On a related note, I can't believe I'm thinking on how to avoid the rules, but it seems this is an exception of sorts, should I ever be flying in bear country (which I hope I will, one day).

In the past I have done engineering approvals of stuff mounted in basic ways, including tape - typically for flight testing. I have done a lot of flying in bear country too but not in VH registered airplanes.

If in the USA, minor mods there are dealt with much easier AM397 so you will be OK. Even major mods typically get an easier process.

It just gets harder and harder here with each new rule. Incidentally, I observe many small cameras fitted without approvals - I wonder if any have suffered a CASA ramp check.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

In the past I have done engineering approvals of stuff mounted in basic ways, including tape - typically for flight testing. I have done a lot of flying in bear country too but not in VH registered airplanes.If in the USA, minor mods there are dealt with much easier AM397 so you will be OK. Even major mods typically get an easier process.

It just gets harder and harder here with each new rule. Incidentally, I observe many small cameras fitted without approvals - I wonder if any have suffered a CASA ramp check.

Thanks, djpacro! That eases my mind a bit :)

I see that the rules have changed http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/alaska - no longer required to carry a gun but advice there and here http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF12/1245.html confirms my view that it is better to carry a shotgun than pepper spray.

Reminds me of the guys shooting coyotes from an aeroplane a while back - got the wing strut and it ended badly for them.

Okay so I now have my GoPro 2. What is the best editing software to use? Add music and edit the footage. Hope to post myfirstvideo after this weekend.

Compulsion.

Go Pro has this as their editing software. It is very good, and you can add music and wording to it aswell.

http://gopro.com/software-app

-Linda