Getting back into it

Jaycee

Hi all,

I went through my initial raa training around 8 years ago, getting as far as my pilot's certificate with passenger endorsement, but short of my navs, at which point life and a mortgage got in the way of my flying and i had to give it up. I've since let my raa membership lapse and haven't really thought about flying much until recently. The bug has rebitten with a vengeance!

Can anyone give me some idea of what would be involved in getting recertified and getting back up to speed?

I originally learned on a Flysynthesis Texan out of Sunbury (vic), but now live on the Mornington Peninsula so would most likely fly out of Tyabb as it is 10 minutes down the road. I'm not sure if they have anything similar to the Texan (fiberglass low wing tricycle gear with a rotax engine) at Tyab?

Cheers,

John

I would say you need to become a member of Raaus again, then go see your instructor, he will assess your skills and get you back up to standard, I guess it will be similar to a BFR but you will likely do it over a few sessions, then get stuck into your Navs :)

Thanks. Obviously I will need to speak to an instructor. I'm not sure whether membership of RAAus is something I can do before I get the chance to speak to an instructor (I know I won't be able to fly until I've retrained, nor would I want to, but it would be nice to start receiving the magazines again and have everything ready to go when I do start lessons again).

Thanks again.

John

Hi John,

I know they have 3 or 4 Gazelles for training at Tyabb. Having also learnt to fly in a Texan (also at Sunbury) and now flying a Gazelle I can vouch for it being pretty easy to move from one to the other. Anyway - good luck with whatever you decide to do - glad to see you getting back into flying 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Cheers

Neil

Hi John,I know they have 3 or 4 Gazelles for training at Tyabb. Having also learnt to fly in a Texan (also at Sunbury) and now flying a Gazelle I can vouch for it being pretty easy to move from one to the other. Anyway - good luck with whatever you decide to do - glad to see you getting back into flying 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil. What a small world! Did you train with Terry?

I'll definitely go and speak with an instructor at Tyabb. Is there anyone there who is particularly good?

Cheers,

John

Just a thought, If you last flew 8 years ago you would probably have to do the Human Factors exam as that was only made mandatory 4 or 5 years ago I think..

I've seen the term Human Factors mentioned on this forum, but don't know what it is. Is it difficult? Complicated? Expensive?

Do i also need an ASIC card for Tyabb?

Cheers,

John

Thanks Neil. What a small world! Did you train with Terry?I'll definitely go and speak with an instructor at Tyabb. Is there anyone there who is particularly good?

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

I certainly did train with Terry! He is such a good instructor.

I hope you get to do your training at Tyabb, I am not familiar with any of the instructors there, but it looks like a good place to fly from (and puts on a great Airshow).

You don't need an ASIC card.

Best of luck! Keep us informed about how you get on.

BTW the Human Factors course is not that difficult - mostly common sense. Some parts even quite interesting 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Cheers

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

I fly out of Tyabb. Got back into flying this year after a 10 year break. 2 good instructour are Barry Tate and Dave Bell( the RAA CFI). I hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks very much Neil and Joe. I'll definitely visit the airfield at Tyabb and chat to them about getting started again. It probably won't be until the new year now though.

Joe - how difficult did you find it after a 10 year break? Was it like starting again, or did you get your skills back relatively quickly?

Cheers,

John

Hi John,I certainly did train with Terry! He is such a good instructor.

Cheers

Neil

I found him to be excellent too - exactly the sort of teacher i need for such an important subject. I'd love to go back to him, but penfield is too far or me now. Hopefully i find an instructor at Tyabb that I click with.

Cheers,

John

John,

i think it all depends on what your level of experience was before you gave it away. I picked things up reasonably quickly. I had a reasonable level of experience before I stopped flying. When i restarted this year, i got my pilot certificate after doing 7 hours, including the test and the 1 hour solo required to convert from GA to RA. It does feel great. to be flying again!

Cheers,

Joe

Question . . . What is an ASIC CArd ? and is it possible to get the Rauus magazine in the UK, ( obviously joining would be a good idea ( DUH ) I've hit that into google but it doesn't tell me nowt. ( I left OZ in 1983, and have not yet ( sob) been able, family and work commitments ) to get back there

Phil

Question . . . What is an ASIC CArd ? and is it possible to get the Rauus magazine in the UK, ( obviously joining would be a good idea ( DUH ) I've hit that into google but it doesn't tell me nowt. ( I left OZ in 1983, and have not yet ( sob) been able, family and work commitments ) to get back therePhil

Phil,

Aviation Security Identity Card,

It allows you to be on airfields that are serviced by RPT airlines, all started not long after 9/11.

Poor you moving to Britain, I can't thank my ancestors enough for being criminals and getting sent here, damn now days people pay to come here and others just turn up on our shores in rickety boats and we treat them better than the pensioners that built this country.

As for the RAA mag send them an email and see what can be done. http://www.raa.asn.au/ that will get you onto the website.

Cheers

Alf

others just turn up on our shores in rickety boats and we treat them better than the pensioners that built this country.

No, we don't. We lock up people who have committed no crime for years on end. It's a national disgrace.

• Like 4

John,i think it all depends on what your level of experience was before you gave it away. I picked things up reasonably quickly. I had a reasonable level of experience before I stopped flying. When i restarted this year, i got my pilot certificate after doing 7 hours, including the test and the 1 hour solo required to convert from GA to RA. It does feel great. to be flying again!

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Joe. I'm sure I'll take much longer than you, as i only had about 30 hours experience when I gave it away. It will be great to get back in the air eventually. I hope you're enjoying it.

Cheers,

John

Phil,Aviation Security Identity Card,

It allows you to be on airfields that are serviced by RPT airlines, all started not long after 9/11.

Poor you moving to Britain, I can't thank my ancestors enough for being criminals and getting sent here, damn now days people pay to come here and others just turn up on our shores in rickety boats and we treat them better than the pensioners that built this country.

As for the RAA mag send them an email and see what can be done. http://www.raa.asn.au/ that will get you onto the website.

Cheers

Alf

Hey, thank you ALF, I don't expect any sympathy, I left OZ to follow the missus, who buggered off with my four month old Daughter, and then refused to return to our chosen land, I'll tell you what, she has regretted that quite a lot of times since as the UK is a garbage can for the world, and the Government treat all the indiginous population like idiots, and charrge us all a foirtune for the "Privilege"

Thanks for the info cobber, I'll look into it.

Oh, and whilst I'm on a thread discussing geting back ito it, I thought I'd add my voluminous experiences to that. . . . I had'nt flown night for ages, so I went to Moorabbin and admitted this to a certain school and they said, hey Phil, no problem mate, let's go and do some night circuits,

So we did.

After five circuits to a full stop landing, instructor ( who shall remain nameless, [as I've forgotten who it was...] ) saying, well, you certainly have not forgotten much. . . . . ( yeah, right ) well, if you were one of the worthies in the airfield bar as I taxied the Grumman AA5A gingerly back to it's parking space, and in the process totally destroyed one of those triangular asbestos ground markers by taxying into it in the dark, right in front of the bar with the roof to ground glass frontage. . . . and shot bits of it all over the apron. . . . I fervently hope that you all had a good giggle.

Never mind I thought . . . one day. . . . . .

?

• Like 2

I thought it is a crime to enter a country illegaly

To my knowledge it is not a crime to seek asylum.

And even if it were, to get locked up for years when you're just trying to escape persecution/torture/death seems a tad unfair... perhaps even un-Australian... 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

I know a bit off topic,

For all those out there getting bitter and twisted at my comment I will elaborate on it a bit.

1. I don't have a problem with a genuine asylum seeker, they have to be put in detention until processed or what do we do just open the doors and let everyone have a free reign walking the streets, you come here seeking asylum you get what your given and take whatever comes until processed.

2. I do have a problem that that our pensiors who built this country are far worse off than a asylum seeker, alteast the people in detention get food every day, clothed and don't have to turn off the electricity in winter to save money to survive.

3. I wonder how we would go rocking up on the shores of these peoples countries seeking asylum, my bet is we would be fish food, they ought to be grateful we are not like that.

Blame the government for how long it takes to process that's out of my control

If this opens a can of worms to some of you so be it, I have a right to speak what I feel as you all do.

Alf

• Like 4

We need a general "GRIPES" thread Alf. . . . I have a few about the UK too. . . . .some of 'em amusing, and others. . . well. . . .

Maybe someone can start one ?? I'm just a newbie here so I'll leave it to you veterans to do it, . . . . will save going off - topic I guess. . . . .?

Phil.

It's definitely not a crime to seek asylum in a foreign country. Look here for some basic information - http://humanrights.gov.au/human_rights/immigration/asylum_seekers.html

As the son of immigrants who came to Australia looking for and finding a better life than they had available to them in their home country at the time, and who went on to work hard and contribute greatly to this, their new country, and helped to make it what it is today, I have immense compassion and empathy for people who continue to look to us to help them survive poverty, torture and prosecution in their home countries.

Obviously we can't open our doors to everyone, but treating people with respect and dignity while their claims are being evaluated is not optional! Detaining people for years while bureaucrats shuffle paper is not acceptable! Splitting up families while they are in detention is not acceptable! It's only the selfish and illinformed (and sometimes rascist) views of the Australian public that allows our Government to treat our fellow humans in this way.

As for our pensioners - I agree they should be treated better and their minimum payments increased, but claiming that refugees in asylum centres have a better deal is ignorant. How much do you value freedom?

I'm not sure how my original question turned into this discussion. Perhaps someone should start a new thread.

• Like 1

It's definitely not a crime to seek asylum in a foreign country. Look here for some basic information - http://humanrights.gov.au/human_rights/immigration/asylum_seekers.htmlAs the son of immigrants who came to Australia looking for and finding a better life than they had available to them in their home country at the time, and who went on to work hard and contribute greatly to this, their new country, and helped to make it what it is today, I have immense compassion and empathy for people who continue to look to us to help them survive poverty, torture and prosecution in their home countries.

Obviously we can't open our doors to everyone, but treating people with respect and dignity while their claims are being evaluated is not optional! Detaining people for years while bureaucrats shuffle paper is not acceptable! Splitting up families while they are in detention is not acceptable! It's only the selfish and illinformed (and sometimes rascist) views of the Australian public that allows our Government to treat our fellow humans in this way.

As for our pensioners - I agree they should be treated better and their minimum payments increased, but claiming that refugees in asylum centres have a better deal is ignorant. How much do you value freedom?

I'm not sure how my original question turned into this discussion. Perhaps someone should start a new thread.

Jaycee,

You call me ignorant, funnily enough a damn lot of them pay 10's of thousands of dollars to get on a rickety boat, to me that is not a genuine asylum seeker.

I was born here my friend and I pay taxes to help keep these asylum seekers here while they get processed and I have no issues with that.

They are treated with respect they are fed and clothed and housed, a damn site better than if we turned up on the shores they escaped from.

Look in the mirror if you want to see ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!.

Alf