Video: Not another ordinary ultralight flight.

flyerme

• 8 months later...

Flyerme this is an amazing video! My Dad flies drifter ultralights and is currently building an aerobatic aircraft, I mentioned this video to him and he wants to know some information about this plane if possible? If I can send you a private message with his details in it that would be amazing!

• Like 1

Wouldn't really matter how good it was. As long as it has numbes on the siude it is illegal. Register it VH experimental and go through the process and its legal. Two strokes make great aerobatic engines as you can see. Wayne Fishers VH experimental Drifter was two stroke powered.

Guest Maj Millard

I have quite a bit of time in the Eipper MXL, they are hoot to fly, and a blast to land, with ones posterior only inches off the deck. They have a nice side mounted (rh) control stick, and were very responsive. I did see one two seat tandem model that was custom built for the movie 'Howard the duck'. It was a George Lucas movie between his Star Wars epics. This 'special' movie aircraft was flown by Lyle Byrum in the back seat, with 'Howard' in the front. The very low time aircraft was ordered broken up after the movie use as they didn't want any liability. Everybody got a lot of near-new parts from it, and they disappeared pretty quickly !...

I wasn't 't aware they were aerobatic, and it didn't dawn on me to do aerobatics in the one I flew.

Lyle Byrum, the original Mr Eipper did break one at the Salinas International Airshow in California in the late 80s, whilst performing aerobatics. He had a ballistic chute fitted and used it, I believe it may have been a king-post failure, and one wing folded. Pretty spectacular at the time, and a good advert for the ballistic chute.. The MXL had a nice double- surface wing similar to the MXl2 and good ailerons . From memory power was the Rotax 337. Later models which came out were called the MX 'Sport' and it went back to a single surface wing, which didn't look anywhere near as pretty.........Maj......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I did the same thing in my Tyro several years ago; I managed to do four loops then fell off the top of the fourth and went into a violent inverted spin,

fortunately at around 300 feet my alarm clock went off and I woke up before hitting the ground !!!

I am very lucky to still be around and able to tell you this 'unbelieveable story'. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Like 2

You are a (nice) clown Alan ... LOL

Many years ago, about 1982, I tried to spin the Frank Bailey designed 95-10 Mustang (wire braced version of the Javelin in my Avatar). This was before the AUF really existed and I was flying Ultralights on my GA license.

It was just not possible ... trying to get it to stall conventionally was impossible, it would just go into a moderate sink rate. So I tried to get it to stall using the hammer head technique with full power and a vertical pull up. When it did stall, it dropped the nose and as soon as it had about 15 knots speed it just flew again, it was just NOT possible to get anymore than a large yaw as it started to fly, spin rotation at all. So Frank achived his objective, an unspinnable plane that you could teach yourself to fly.