Posting images

Guest Howard Hughes

Guest Howard Hughes

Hi Ian and Happy New Year,

Have been trying to post piccys in the 'show us your picys' thread, but it won't let me use images from 'Aircraft pilots'! Are you trying to keep the riff raff from that dodgy site out? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Cheers,

Mark.

Yep, it does work but it is a killer for any user on a slow connection...best to download the image to your PC and then upload it as an attachment so you can insert it as a thumbnail...easier on those with slow internet connections and mobile devices

Guest Andys@coffs

I think thats an AN2???? In any event clearly you dont need to do oil changes on those beasts, they would seem to throw oil out at a rate that exceeds an overfull JAbby???? Must be a couple of litres of oil all over the underside and leading edges......

Oh yeah, have you heard an AN2 start? It sounds as though an electric motor runs up a substantial flywheel and then a clutch is engaged to connect the flywheel to act as a starter motor.....i was impressed...

I think thats an AN2???? In any event clearly you dont need to do oil changes on those beasts, they would seem to throw oil out at a rate that exceeds an overfull JAbby???? Must be a couple of litres of oil all over the underside and leading edges.........

Won't have any corrosion issues though........

I think thats an AN2???? In any event clearly you dont need to do oil changes on those beasts, they would seem to throw oil out at a rate that exceeds an overfull JAbby???? Must be a couple of litres of oil all over the underside and leading edges......Oh yeah, have you heard an AN2 start? It sounds as though an electric motor runs up a substantial flywheel and then a clutch is engaged to connect the flywheel to act as a starter motor.....i was impressed...

Hi Andy, it certainly looks like an AN2. . . ! The engine is a rip off from a design by Pratt & Whitney, and was originally rated at 1200 Hp. In this country, several of these beasts are used, usually on a foreign registration, HA, or LY, which means that they don't fall under the auspices of the CAA. You have to either fly them to the country of origin for servic e work, OR import a licenced engineer and do it that way, . . .which some owners do. The one I flew at White Waltham a while ago was on the HA reg, and the engine had been De-rated down to a mere 1,000 horses to extend engine life.

We flew with the owner in the right hand seat, he was an ex-concorde pilot with a penchant for weird old aircraft ! These things are amazing, in that they can fly at 30 mph . . .thats THIRTY MILES PER HOUR ( not Knots ) with the leading edge slats popped out ( automatic at low speeds ) and land in an incredibly short distance. During my flight of just over 45 min, the aircraft was loaded with 12 Club members for ballast in spring loaded seats which pop our from the inside fuselage, ( ! ) and this one still had the static line wires for hooking up troop parachutes.

I loved the starting handle, which is mounted on the wall at the entrance to the cockpit. After turning the prop thru about four revolutions, ( hard work, even with the valves lifted, as it's four blades and about fourteen feet in diameter ( 4.26 M ) to clear out any oil in the bottom few cylinders of the radial to preclude a hydraulic cylinder head blow - off, Then the oil drip tray underneath the engine is emptied into a few jugs and filtered back into the oil reservoir. ( ! )

Then the starting handle is inserted into a hole on the left side wall of the cockpit stairway and turned muscularly to wind up the interesting start mechanism. Once ready for movement, the next bit is to get used to the rather weird pneumatic brakes, which are activated by bicycle type levers on each side of the control yoke. These work in a Pre - Select manner.

The idea is that if you want to taxi to the left, you squeeze the left lever, and then dab the left rudder pedal. If you have squeezed a little too hard. . . the aeoplane spins around to about 90 degrees left rather violently !! This was hilarious and took a few minutes, lurching and swerving to get it right. On application of full power for a take off, the tail doesn't actually seem to come up,. . . ? Instead, the ground appears to gently fall away, as though you are flying a brick building. This was what the owner told me to expect, and he was dead right. It climbed rather like a half - loaded Dak, but needed a lot of rudder to counteract the enormous torque swing from that gorgeous big engine.

Landing was interesting to say the least, the problem is the aspect, you need to be aiming for a point somewhere around 100 metres before the strip, otherwise you'll land too long, and the actual flare bit, isn't really, it just sits on three wheels just like it was on the departure. I guess you could get used to this after a few hours playing with it, IF YOU COULD AFFORD THE GAS.

This one used approximately FIFTY GALLONS PER HOUR, although you could lean the mixture a bit at around 7 - 8 thousand feet and get 45. ( Millionaire's Boy's Toy )

Anyway Ian, sorry to go blathering on, I'm probably on the wrong forum section again.

Phil