Observed a Forced Landing while sitting on beach today

Hi,

We were sitting on Werri Beach in Gerringong this morning just enjoying the fresh air when my son and I talked about a Cessna flying south and how nice it would be to go and fly today.

A few short minutes later we observed the same airplane (I think it was a Cessna 172) tracking north very slowly coming straight for the beach. When it came over us I wondered what was going on as their flaps were out and they where flying really slowly and descending. I didn't hear any engine sound and saw them make a base turn for what I was now assuming to be a forced landing on the marshland just behind the Werri Beach built up area.

Then I saw something that looked like them trying to prevent / recover from a stall and the next moment after that I saw a sharp turn and it looked like a left wing stall. Then they disappeared behind the trees.

We went looking for them and I drove up and down the streets onto high ground etc to see if I could see them but didn't. At this stage they still could have flown away low without me noticing and I didn't want to call 000.

After a while I kept on feeling I have to look around as I didn't have a radio or could find out what happened and went home to fetch my phone (usually don't go to beach with phone) and called a local Fire brigade volunteer asking if they had any report of a forced landing and he said no.

I called 000 and the Rural Fire Service went out to investigate. Turns out both pilots walked away safely and 'are from a local flying school' but nobody phoned 000 apart from me which was a fair while after the incident. I have no idea if they made a mayday call or not.

All is well that ends well and I must say I have learnt a LOT from what I observed from the ground. I am assuming they changed their minds at the last moment to a different paddock (I am only guessing) and that caused the last (what seemed) aggressive maneuvers.

I would love to talk to the pilot to collaborate what I saw so if anybody knows them, please ask them to contact me.

Cheerio

• Like 1

You gotta call '000' no mucking about.

I have seen this before... a small fire... people milling around not wanting to bother '000'... turns into a large fire awfully quick.

Sure... we do hear a lot of talk of not bothering Emergency Services but at the end of the day, this sort of thing is just what they are there for.

Happy to hear the end result was OK for those involved in the end. Those blokes could still be hanging upside down in their seats.

I agree Windsor.

As I said, I couldn't confirm the FL as I just couldn't find the aircraft. It was just behind a hill at an angle that I just didn't see until I drove out further a little while later.

Then only did I have it confirmed.

The other issue is that I then phoned 000 to ask if they are aware and they said no. (This is after discussing it with my fire brigade friend who confirmed they where not called out for any incident that morning). I realise now that I must have called 000 much earlier and just trusted my 'gut'.

Shouldn't a pilot at least phone 000 if they landed safely? I would, just to give them an FYI call at least.

I did call ATSB this evening to give them my details just in case and they said that as nobody was hurt the emergency services were not called out / notified.

I am just wondering if they shouldn't at least put an FYI down for the emergency services.

That said, after my call I had several phone calls from the Fire, Ambulance, Police and Search & Rescue in Canberra trying to confirm the details as they were not aware of anything.

I have recorded the flight in my minds eye with as much detail as I can remember and am analysing it over and over. Feels like I was in it.

• Like 1

Then I saw something that looked like them trying to prevent / recover from a stall and the next moment after that I saw a sharp turn and it looked like a left wing stall. Then they disappeared behind the trees.

i shudder when i hear this...

Too bad if they were trying to keep a fuel miscalculation or similar on the low down. in this case i probably would have done the same as you but it just goes to show there are always people around with mobile phones these days ( they nearly all have video cameras in them too).

The aircraft in question was VH-WFQ, a Cessna 152 based at YWOL. It made a successful forced-landing and sustained nil damage, the two occupants were uninjured. The aircraft was removed from the forced-landing site and returned to YWOL by road transport where it was re-assembled by a LAME in a hangar approved for maintenance of aircraft.

These are the facts. I will refrain from speculation as to the cause of the forced-landing because this is hearsay until such time as an investigation is conducted and findings released.

Sorry, Rocketing, I don't know the pilot or pax and have no contact details. The aircraft is nearly back together and has had some minor corrosion issues addressed which came to light during re-assembly. Should be back on-line in a day or two.

• Like 2

I was given to understand the aircraft had ingested water into the tanks, possibly through fuel-tank-caps after overnight rain and it didn't show up in the fuel-test before the flight. At a certain angle of bank it manifested its presence in no uncertain manner. Basically the engine was trying to burn di-hydrogen monoxide instead of 2-2-4 trimethylpentane.