How many younger recreational pilots are there?

Michael95

I would have wanted to start much younger as well, but the price was much too high for a college student with a minimum wage job. It seems to be pretty expensive in australia. At my school you can rent an old Cessna 172N for $99 an hour. The newer ones are closer to $150. The plane I got my sport license in cost $115 plus $40 per hour for the instructor. Of course I didn't take in all the extra costs like headsets, ground school, charts, and supplies. $1.o0 US = $.97 Australian. If anyone is interested here is what it costs to rent planes at my club http://www.aspenflyingclub.com/fleet.htm

It seems to be pretty expensive in australia. At my school you can rent an old Cessna 172N for $99 an hour. The newer ones are closer to $150.

Expensive is right. It costs me $230/hr (wet) to rent an old Cessna 172N at my club/school. If you are a student and need to pay for an instructor, add another $120/hr. Want to land as well, add $30. That's one reason I'm building my own. At least I'll be able to enjoy the illusion that I'm saving money.

rgmwa

• Agree 2

There are a few young guys at the school in Goulburn. They don't fly quite so regularly as they're paying for it themselves but they still turn up pretty regularly.

Regarding costs if you put it all down on paper the only cost saving for RA-Aus training should be the lesser fuel use. Where the RA-Aus plane might save a little in maintenance costs they more than make up for in depreciation. Don't forget to factor in paying an L2 to do all the maintenance. The good old Gazelle is the only RA-aus plane that makes a good business case however even that is a struggle to make enough out of to pay an instructor a decent wage. Businesses i've seen are lucky to clear $5/hour profit on the RA-Aus trainers. You'd only do that for love...

Hi Michael, probably not many.Most 17 years are too busy playing X box, chasing the opposite sex and/or playing with themselves. Welcome aboard.

Wait. that's supposed to change???

I'm 43, just over a year in, and likewise wish I had started when I was your age. Good onya and welcome aboard!!

• Haha 2

There are a few young ones out at Gawler (im not THAT old either! lol)

A young lass yesterday said she would be able to fly solo before she can drive a car on her own! How Awesome is that!!

As For Pricing :

J170 - $110 Wet

- $120 Wet W/ Instructor

Bargain!

Camo

But I do agree that cost. Is what puts young people off. That is until they see that with hard work it is available and worth the expense.

I was talking to my mate the other day, Got him a TIF for his Bday and he realised that one lesson is basically the cost of a good night out on the town, plus you don't feel as bad afterwards (most of the time. lol) So its not really that outrageous for younger people to fly!

Camo

• Like 1

I was talking to my mate the other day, Got him a TIF for his Bday and he realised that one lesson is basically the cost of a good night out on the town, plus you don't feel as bad afterwards (most of the time. lol) So its not really that outrageous for younger people to fly!

But is your friend going to sacrifice going out on the town to pay for the lessons? Unless he is independently wealthy he probably couldn't afford both. I am not an expert at how college is paid for in Australia or wages for young people in Australia so I can only really speak to the experience in the US. I did know some people who would go out and spend $200 for a good night out on the town, but it was the only thing they could to afford to spend money on. When I was in college for a lot of my friends spending $40 was a big night out. Plus all my friends were taking out loans for college, and only worked a low paying job during the summer to cover some of the costs of college. Most people I knew when I was younger might be able to pay for a flying lesson once every couple of months if ever, but they definitely were not spending that much 1-2 times a week as you would with flying lessons. I might agree that it could be feasible if you lived with your parents and worked full time. At least in the US its not very feasible for young people unless its subsidized by parents, school loans, or scholarships(for career pilots).

I guess my point wasn't really about the going out to town on the Turps side of things, it's more along the lines of priorities. People spend heaps of Moolah on things like Holidays, Smoking, Eating out, Cars, etc.. If flying is important to you,you will normally find a way to make it happen (within reason of course). With LSA being on the cheapest side of things here in AUS I believe the potential is huge!

Camo

If it's something you want to do, you'll get there if you work hard at it. I wanted to fly when I was around 14 but the massive cost of a PPL when I was that age was huge... $18k or something. But I was determined to not give up on the idea... I found out about RAA at 16 and jumped right in as I did have a couple of grand to get started. Did a lesson a week, worked hard and saved like no other. Making hand crafts in my spare time out of school and selling them at markets to help. (I was home schooled however so that helps you achieve more I reckon)

It blows my mind that only 5 yrs on, I have not only over 300hrs in both RA and GA, but I have a PPL as well, and own a plane.

If someone simple like myself can do it, anyone can!

• Like 1
  • Winner 7

Guest aussieaviatrix
I have a couple friends that are young pilots... aussieaviatrixs on this forum is a young chicken... 058_what_the.gif.7624c875a1b9fa78348ad40493faf23c.gif and I have a mate who is only a young pilot also.

Who are you calling a young chicken, Grandpa?? 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

But yeah, afraid there aren't a huge amount of us out there.....we have a few between the ages of around 14 to 20-odd at my flying school, but we are very much the minority. I started flying not long after I was 18 and am now nearly 20 -- I was in the Air Force Cadets for a few years and I know that a lot go through the Cadet flying school at Amberley. But unfortunately not many of them are interested in RA.

Like many people have said I think cost is partly the issue, but I'm afraid the mindset is still out there that RA pilots are uneducated, dangerous and don't fly "real" areoplanes.... 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

But good on you Michael, keep up the good work! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Hi guys, I'm 14 and have recently become very interested in becoming a recreational pilot! I'm in Tasmania and am always jealous when I see ultralights buzzing overhead :-) I'm especially interested in WSC Trikes.

Although my family doesn't have much money, our main concern is safety and mostly deadsticks. I've flown RC planes for years so I understand the basics of flight and really, that's what made me think about full-scale aviation! In near Hobart and my two closest flying clubs aren't currently offering recreational training although one promises to introduce this, within this year. The other option is to learn through Freedom Flight who are based in Northern Tassie. They say on their website that they can come to Hobart though, which is why I'm considering them.

Anyway, I've been desperate to post on these forums and hope to find out more about learning to participate in this wonderful hobby/sport!

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 4