Video: Flight into Great Keppel Island

Doug McCullough

Fabulous, what camera is that Doug?BTW figured out on a brief visit to Fraser Island some years ago eco-lodging is QLD speak for hot & being et by bugs. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

The Camera was just a standard Panasonic DMC-TZ7 Digital that is video capable being hand held by my wife.

Great Keppel Island update, apparently the State Govt has approved a $500m eco re-development that will see the airfield/Runway upgraded. Not sure when this is supposed to start.

Just another note for anybody travelling in that area. Old Station, just west of Gladstone has installed a 24,000 litre Av-Gas facility and are welcoming all to call in to refuel. Best to give Ron a call first.

Cheers

• Informative 1

I haven't been in there since 1987. We were flying down the coast and got caught by some weather flying a 182P. I couldn't get into Rocky and ATC asked me to divert to GKI. We (4 blokes) had to stay several days due weather. Try convincing your wife you are stranded on GKI. The place was buzzing back then. Anset (I think) were running twin Otters into the place. Sad to see it in decline. As I recall you need good brakes if you land on 30 it has quite a down slope. Thanks for the video Doug, brought back some memories.

Greg.

We have not been back to Great Keppel Island since the resort closed, I did not know there was still accommodation available. Great video, who do we contact about coming and staying?012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifAdrian

Details can been seen at http://www.gkiholidayvillage.com.au/

Geoff Mercer's mobile is not on the web site but I am sure he wouldn't mind me sharing it. 0438 247 595

Geoff can give you all the details of the runway. When I first flew in there he did suggest that even with a tailwind up to about 10kts it is best to use 12 as you can see from the video it does have quiet an up slope.

Fortunately, as you can also see we had a great day to fly into GKI.

If anybody is interested there is a 13 minute video that I posted on YouTube

. The landing at GKI was the first stop over in a 7 day trip around Qld. Other landings in the clip include, Old Station, Undarra, Mareeba, Chillago, Normanton, Quilpie and Caboolture. There were other stops in between that weren't filmed. This is the raw film, no music but has some captions to identify where we were.Cheers

Looks nice, I reckon the hills either side of the strip would make it exciting with a stiff crosswind,Met

Crosswind is not a problem usually. The wind funnels down the strip between the hills and provides extra headwind. Just don't land down hill on 30. Land up hill on 12 and even be prepared to accept up to 15kt tailwind. The slope is quite surprising after you land there the first time. Been in there many times during 1970's and 1980's in GA singles and twins when the resort was owned by TAA.

004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif