carbon fibre landing gear

Hi , I'm thinking of rebuilding the landing gear in my Kitfox type with carbon fibre, I've got a bit of experience with fibre glass but was after info on what products to use, the process ,thickness's for given strengths, mounting arrangements, I'd be looking at the tailwheel spring first and if it works out I'll do the main gear as well

Met

*scratches head* wonders out loud, what's wrong with the factory design?

Well,,,on one hand we have a whole flock of whiners lamenting how its all about GA or there's no innovators, everyone wants one off the shelf,,,well buddy perhaps I'm not an off the shelf kinda guy, I also rarely waste time on ,,,,,wits so from me pal this is your answer ,back under yonder rock with ya,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't use carbon in your application - run some numbers and see for yourself.

I'll have to look in to it , I'm doing a new panel ,cowls and some components using carbon fibre for the Lobo, I want to get it below the 300kg . The eurofox and the Jabs use GRP gear but I'm not sure what fibre it is , I'm ordering some Berhinger wheels and brakes for it , lighter, sexier and the brakes will actually do something( oh and they come with 26 inch tyres)

Why wouldn't laminates of carbon fibre and other materials make a good undercarriage leg?

As far as bouncing any UNDAMPED spring will store energy and give it back later. Those leaf spring undercarriage legs are heavy and quite a few have broken in service. Nev

Carbon fibre has been around for a while, you assume that its been tried before...

I think the inability to determine fatigue could be an issue. The Tornado uses 1.5" desiccated fibreglass struts which give a lot of spring compared to the alloy and titanium legs that are also fitted. The fibreglass starts to split once its getting old.

My understanding of it's faults? is that it is not suitable for compressive loads . hence the laminate. It's been around for ages in pushbike and motorcycle and race car applications. Quite proven but used to be costly and a bit lethal as to human contact with solvents used. Nev

I was under the impression that carbon fibre is strong, but also stiff. A bit like cast iron, whereas there are better types of glass fibre to use. Somewhere I have an approved drawing for a glass tailspring for the Corby, and it is not carbon fibre. Will have to find it and post it here.

• Agree 1

If you want to see how much it flexes watch the dreamliner lift off. I would imagine all high performance gliders use it for stress carrying parts like wing spars etc. If you make a deep box section it will be stiff. It's tougher than old boots. Nev

I'm at the thinking about it stage, I started from the carbon fibre idea as I've seen it used in masts for yachts ,spars, chassis' for race cars and propellers ,,,but it'll also have to be "soft" enough to soak up roughing ground. There's a little bit on the net about it and from what I've seen on one sight

http://curedcomposites.com/gear.html

They are using woven rovings ,and epoxy resin ,I've got the time so I'll gather as much as I can before going shopping, as I wrote the motivation is weight loss so if it going to be heavier than 4130 chro-mo then I'll build them that way, the berhinger wheels/axles have very different attachments so I'll have to redo the gear either way .another option is Kevlar ,it has different properties to glass or carbon, and is still pretty light.

I'm at the thinking about it stage, I started from the carbon fibre idea as I've seen it used in masts for yachts ,spars, chassis' for race cars and propellers ,,,but it'll also have to be "soft" enough to soak up roughing ground.

Carbon is great stuff if you have the gear and skills to achieve a high quality job. Heat and pressure are needed to exclude bubbles and get a good cure. That probably means an autoclave.

Yes, it's used on bike frames, yacht masts etc, but these are applications where a trade-off is made between weight and reliability. Yacht racers will risk the odd broken mast for the sake of a win.

One pothole could total your aircraft.

Good point about the trade off between reliability and lightness, does anyone know what cloth is used in the jab gear?

Yonks ago when I imported a roll of S-glass, the supplier said that Jabs are built with E-glass; cheaper than structural grade glass, but quite adequate to the task, as all their testing has proven.

I never cease to be amazed by the armchair experts so willing to jump in and offer totally uninformed opinions some of you guys really should think before you put your fingers into gear.

Try checking out the Carden Aircraft website Carbon fibre landing gear good enough for some of the top aerobatic aircraft good enough for me. Cheap Enough too.

RickH

I never cease to be amazed by the armchair experts so willing to jump in and offer totally uninformed opinions some of you guys really should think before you put your fingers into gear.Try checking out the Carden Aircraft website Carbon fibre landing gear good enough for some of the top aerobatic aircraft good enough for me.

RickH

Rick you may find most aerobatic aircraft are operated from pretty smooth airfields, so don''t need to be over engineered to cope with the rough paddocks likely to be used by the rest of us.

The Carden site was used purely as an example do some web surfing there are others and regardless of operational arena there are certain design rules to which all aircraft designers adhere undercarriage stress (impact, fatigue and otherwise) being one of them.

RickH