Just Landed

8.8 Hrs, Soon the instructor will ask for a full stop landing get out and not get back in. I just want a little more practace on gliding (dead stick) landings. Instructor is happy but I want to be better at it. You never know It could be that first solo that the Jab Engine decides to stop.

Your doing well mate.8.8 hours and nearly solo in a Jab is very good. ( I have only flown a LSA 55 and did my certificate test in one, so I don't really how the other ones handle, but all the same your doing really well I think )

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll say that's good - took me 25 hours to get to that point! Of course I went for a long spell of switching instructors and only being able to fly once a month or less due to weather, wish I had known about them down at YWOL starting off :) Great stuff Ivan, don't forget to post all about that magic moment when it happens!

Had a good day today, Firstly I have to correct my total Hours from my previous post I had 9.3 not 8.8. Then today another 0.7 hours of emergency procedures. Then the best bit. The instuctor asked for a full stop landing got out and sent me on my FIRST SOLO 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Two Touch n Go's and a full stop. Great day for it, mild SE wind 4-6kts, Overcast high cloud and only a couple of other aircraft in the area. I was at 1,000 before turning downwind. I usually get to 1,000 about half way down wind in the Jab 160. First landing was a little long with the reduced weight, Corrected for my next two landings. The Instuctors where both waiting for me when I taxied to parking. Can't thank them enough for their training. I am looking forward to the rest of my training and improving my piloting skills. And thank you for the encouraging and friendly comments on this forum 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif.

PS. I have sore cheeks from smiling all afternoon.

• Like 3
  • Winner 3

Oh how do you like that little Alpha? How does it compare to the Jab, pretty easy to swap between? Thinking I will go get checked out on that once I get my ticket so I will have some other choices.

The Alpha is very nice. Bit harder to get into as I'm a bit (a lot) over weight but once in its comfortable. Controlls are lighter and more responsive than the jab. If you drop the nose just a little the speed increses much quicker than the Jab (Very Slick). Also any lift eg thermals on final and you will find your touch down point a lot further down the runway than planned. I only did 2 landings in it, first one assisted by Instructor, second one he just made sure I didn't drop the nose to early. It hangs up there much longer than the Jab. Over all you just need to be a bit lighter and more accurate with the controlls but by the end of the hour I was getting used to it. As you know I only have around 13 hours Totoal Flying time. So I think I would need a good hour or two (maybe more) of curcuits before I would be comfortable flying Solo in it. Vision to the sides is better but the front you cant see as low (If that makes sense) and it does have a little window in the roof so in steep turns when the wing blocks your view you can get a quick look to that side. The rudder is smoother (Much better) both for taxiing and in flight,

I would recomend you have a go of the Alpha when you can.

If you are going to do your cross country cert or just for taking friends and family for a fly this would be better than the Jab. As its, Newer, Has the more reliable Rotax Motor, Quieter, Better Side view for your passegers and faster for X country

I also want to finish my training in the Jabs. Although I think The Instructor would rather me convert to the Alpha as i think he wants to retire the 170. But I can still fly the 160.

• Informative 1

Cool, good to know Ivan. I have my flight test and all my navs prebooked, so weather and $ permitting, should be done with this phase before July! The way you are going, you might do it even quicker!

i also plan to go out to the Oaks and do my tailwheel endo there, but that will need to wait for now, I'm focused!

ayavner

I wont be doing my nav's as soon as I'm finished Area Cert as I will be on Holidays in August Sept but I do hope to have my Cert for local flying by end of June. You will have your Nav's completed before I do and I look forward to reading about it and your tail wheel experiance.

Another Hour today, A Couple of firsts, The Instructor told me to check the plane and go for a fly and if I got bored I could leave the curcuit. So after a couple of touch n go's of I went for my first Solo out of the curcuit 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif . I only fley 6-7 Miles away but I was finally Solo and out of the curcuit. And first Solo without taking the Instructor for a curcuit or two before dropping him off at the Hanger.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif.

What a great day from removing all the covers, taking the engine cowl off, checking the engine.Checking for COWS in the fuel (I love that, COWS in the fuel it always puts a smile on my face)(Colour Odor Water Sediment) Visual fuel level check with the stick. Then all the usual air frame checks (to many to list) Then jump in and do all the run ups, radio checks ect. then fly away for an hour then come back and park the plane, All on my own and without incident or stress.

• Like 1

0.9 Today with instructor. Revision on steep turns, Stalls and Emergency procedures. Can keep the steep turn inside the 100+- feet but not every time so I will need to practice that a bit more.

Stall recovery no problem, but I am at 3,000 agl. Gliding back to a runway from different locations in the curcuit and keeping the plane at the correct speed is not a problem but I am still a little to high on my approach. I need to trust the glide just a little more. Still better to be to high than to low.

ayavner

I have 12.5 Dual 3.6 Solo = 16.1. Still need to learn more and get those steep turns correct every time. I'm hopping I can get it all together in the next 4 Hrs.

• Like 2

1.1 Hrs with Instructor in the Alpha. As per a previous post, This plane is very different to fly than the jabs but after 2.1 Hrs he said next time he will send me Solo.

I think I will still do my flight test in the jab.

Doing my flight test in the Jab on Saturday (different one tho), but I think I'll go down and get some time in the Alpha for my PAX rating so I'll have a couple of choices. Great progress Ivan keep it up mate!

ayavner

Thx m8. I am looking forward to reading about your flight test. I only need min 1 hr solo and 2 hours total. Then hope the instructor thinks I'm ready for the test but he may delay as its his reputation on the line as well.

0.3 Solo. Overcast with no rain all day just before 4:00pm. Dragged the plan out of the hanger removed all the covers done the walk around jumped in completed runups and checks taxied to the runway. Still looking good no rain, no shower visable in any direction. Rolled down the runway took off got to about 200ft and drops start to apear on the screen. Slow 80kt curcuit, land and back to the hanger. Oh well at least I got to fly. A short flight is better than none.