Ipad2

Compulsion

Has anyone found a successful method of mounting an ipad2 in the cockpit of a Jabiru 170c other than a knee pad.i have been told that can not mount a suction cup onto any of the windows. Don't know if this is true or not. I have a Ram mount for the iPad which I use on the car windscreen. Any tips would be good.

Has anyone found a successful method of mounting an ipad2 in the cockpit of a Jabiru 170c other than a knee pad.i have been told that can not mount a suction cup onto any of the windows. Don't know if this is true or not. I have a Ram mount for the iPad which I use on the car windscreen. Any tips would be good.

I found an C-shaped aluminium extrusion at Bunnings that can be made into a frame that fits nicely (after its opened slightly) around a naked iPad. I plan to use a length of piano hinge to mount it to the cockpit side, with an over-centre spring to allow me to flip it up out of the way.

I have used an ipad car headrest mount, removed the base and attached the remainder it to my panel. It allows the ipad to rotate, angle for better pilot view and is easy to remove.

Drop in and ill show you how I done it.

• Informative 1

I have used an ipad car headrest mount, removed the base and attached the remainder it to my panel. It allows the ipad to rotate, angle for better pilot view and is easy to remove.Drop in and ill show you how I done it.

Steve, do you have any photos? I'd love to see what you've done, but it's a bit far to drop in at the moment. :)

• Like 1

awww come on Gnome its not that far is it haha! I was referring to John, your still welcome anyway. I'll take some pics tomorrow, its not fully mounted yet as I need some small dzus fasteners, but you will get the idea.

• Helpful 1

Ram make good mounts, with longer arm I bolted base to underneath panel and holder has just enough travel to sit Ipad facing pilot. Does cut into pax legroom though. When not used it swings up underneath panel near firewall.

I have suction cup mount for phone on window and it isnt very successful. Really high quality ones might hold small things but doubt it would carry ipad. Most windows are curved. In the sun the suction cups release.

You are right Phil. I have mine on a RAM mount on my car windscreen. Overheats and shuts down. I have lost my GPS fix twice inflight now so I have purchased a Dual Bluetooth GPS to run with Ozrunways. Just need to mount the damn thing. I don't like knee pad mounts.

You are right Phil. I have mine on a RAM mount on my car windscreen. Overheats and shuts down. I have lost my GPS fix twice inflight now so I have purchased a Dual Bluetooth GPS to run with Ozrunways. Just need to mount the damn thing. I don't like knee pad mounts.

Yes mine overheated between startup and take off - not very helpful. Never happened in flight though and that was above 40 deg day.

Air over it cooled enough to restart shortly before take off.