Tyres

Guest Andys@coffs

10 ply... SA.......3corner jacks (calthrop) = not optional on the 10ply IMHO. In fact I if you will ever travel to the west of the great divide they arent optional....trying to fix a puncture in a jab when on a navex away from base truely suxs.

Andy

P.S search on this site for 10ply and you'll get a few pointers to suppliers....whether $40 or $80 I can assure that at the time of remote repair the $40 premium will seem insignificant. You may well have to adjust your spats, the 10 ply are fatter

Guest Andys@coffs

Yeah, I should have thought of that......good thing Im 19 registered then......

So, all that said then what:-

Green slime didnt work for me, the wheel was so unbalanced the vibrations were huge and I wondered if I was doing long term damage to the undercarriage.....

I would suggest you need a pump and at leaset one spare tube and a puncture kit. You will also need a light but workable tool kit that can be used to:-

1) Lift the UC off the ground and get spats off if they are still fitted.... and after you've played that game a couple of times I suspect they wont be refitted unless a long distance flight is on the cards... 5kts extra just isnt worth the agrevation! its why when someone has a dummy spit it can sometimes be called having a spat!!!

2) Get the wheel off the axle (so include all the tools necessary to remove the caliper, and possibly teh cable ties needed to support the breakline if one gives up as you are doing all the manipulation

3) The tools necessary to break apart the 2 cast halves of the hub (and that can be a challenge, the bolts arent all that long..... ) Id suggest a spare couple of bolts and captive nuts in case you loose one in the log grass at nuriwoopwoop when you are forced to fix one alone an miles from anywhere (been there done that). Again for emphasis...dont be trying to break apart the 2 cast Al halves when your away from the field, they can get a bit of water ingress and then corrode and getting them apart can be a real bastard! and thats in the hangar where you have everything and not out in the sticks where your wielding the 15th rock that just might.......nope try for Number 16.....

4) Prove the kits is functional and works and doesnt need anything elses before you are caught out....

5) time how long it takes and add a bit for a stress induced F&ckup so you know absolutely that this isnt a 30minute job for those of us who dont do it X times a day!!!

6) when you get caught out (and you will with 6ply unless you stay on the bitumen 100% of your ground time) remember as a result of 5) to ensure that you dont blow the whole thing up in terms of last light, dont push it, make sure you can fix it, get in the air and make it home well before last light.

or:-

1) being 19 registered fit 10 ply and try and recall how you did it when it comes time....maybe in your lifetime....to fit a second set of 10 plys.......

Andy

Hi Andy,

Owning a 24 rego aircraft has its draw backs in my humble opinion and this is one. I can only assume that if I fitted 10 ply tyres despite Jabiru I would risk not being insured. I can only hope that I don't get a puncture in the middle of no where.

Hi Andy,Owning a 24 rego aircraft has its draw backs in my humble opinion and this is one. I can only assume that if I fitted 10 ply tyres despite Jabiru I would risk not being insured. I can only hope that I don't get a puncture in the middle of no where.

FWIW - 6 ply tires work good IF the tread rubber thickness is substantial enough. The factory supplied 6 ply tyres in our plane wore out early however changing to Flight Custom III (6 ply) has resulted in only 1 other replacement in 1950 hrs & no punctures despite going to places like Pinnaroo with all the 3 cornered jacks there. Someone can correct me here but I think the 'plies' are only referenced to sidewalls (you don't normally get punctures there) & tread depth & rubber quality has much more effect at preventing them.

My guess is 10 ply is way overkill & probably makes the touchdown much harder than necessary on the airframe.

Guest Andys@coffs

Jake thanks for that info......The new set of J supplied 6ply's lasted almost no time at all on mine and it was for that reasons that I went, as per forum advice here, to the 10 plys. If you can do the same by using a better compound then that is good to know.

The 10 ply's do weigh more than the 6's so there may well be some impact on the airframe as the tyres go from 0 to 55kts at touchdown, but if so as yet I havent seen anything.......

Andy

Jake thanks for that info......The new set of J supplied 6ply's lasted almost no time at all on mine and it was for that reasons that I went, as per forum advice here, to the 10 plys. If you can do the same by using a better compound then that is good to know.The 10 ply's do weigh more than the 6's so there may well be some impact on the airframe as the tyres go from 0 to 55kts at touchdown, but if so as yet I havent seen anything.......

Andy

Andy, look at it another way - tires are shock absorbers too, the 10 ply have buggar all 'give'. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
I just changed my originals at 470hrs? But I don't touch down at 55kts either.

Yeah....I guess I dont either....that is a bit fast considering the Landing config stall speed....sorry, BTW when I said mine lasted no time at all Im talking well under 150hrs. perhqaps, if your all lasted much longer than that then I have a scrubbing issue with alignment.....Not something Ive checked...I guess I should.....but then teh 10ply's have now been on much longer than that and look relatively new in terms of tread wear.....

Andy