Across Oz Katanning WA to Kingaroy Qld

Friarpuk

The Sportstar finally got registered this week so I am looking to book our flights to Perth for the 28th. Plan on doing a refresher flight with an instructor on the 29th and leave for home on the 30th. If we get any weather hold ups you might even catch us along the way.

• Agree 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Sportstar finally got registered this week so I am looking to book our flights to Perth for the 28th. Plan on doing a refresher flight with an instructor on the 29th and leave for home on the 30th. If we get any weather hold ups you might even catch us along the way.

We'll see what the weather's doing closer to the time! It will be probably the 2nd or 3rd by the time I say g'day to a few mates in Katanning and give the Skyranger a few good runs since I haven't flown her since the start of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I flew the Sportstar today out at Jandakot. Weather permitting I plan on getting out in the morning before the tower opens. Only planning a short run tomorrow to Kalgoorlie.

Hey Mick! I fly over on Qantas Friday night. By the look of the weather I probably won't leave Katanning till Tuesday. Will know closer to the day! My flight plan attached as a pdf document.

2013 June Kat to Kng Flight plan.pdf

• Like 1

Good luck with the tail wind...stay safe.Any details on the bladder would be welcome. Does he land or is it plumbed into his fuel system?

Kaz

Sorry for the delay in answering, plenty of mail to get through when I got home etc

He used the bladder as a jerry can, only had to use twice that I recall. I noticed that he carried a short step ladder to be able to manipulate the bladder.

Cheers

Phil

Weather was really ordinary this morning so went nowhere. Hard thing is I only have 20 minutes between first light and when the tower opens. With the weather a bit iffy it means I don't get much time with light to see what it is like and make a call to go.

If I make a call to go, then get up and don't like what I see there is very little time to get back on the ground before the tower opens.

Yeah and watch the wind over the escarpment to the east. I haven't ever flown there but I have a few GA mates who have been given a bit of shake up early in the morning. You could give the tower a ring and ask them what's the likelihood of flying out a bit later once the tower is open. They can only tell you to nick off! It's worth the ask I reckon!

Hey Mick! I fly over on Qantas Friday night. By the look of the weather I probably won't leave Katanning till Tuesday. Will know closer to the day! My flight plan attached as a pdf document.

Note your stops at Eucla and Nullabor.

Definitely phone ahead re strip conditions. Eucla was closed when I came across two weeks ago and One of Nullabors strips was only partly useable. We refuelled at Forest instead. Also phone re avgas. Cut across to the Bight from there if you cant land at Eucla and was I reckon the highlight. After Nullabor only ordinary.

Hope the weather holds for you

Cheers

Phil

Note your stops at Eucla and Nullabor.Definitely phone ahead re strip conditions. Eucla was closed when I came across two weeks ago and One of Nullabors strips was only partly useable. We refuelled at Forest instead. Also phone re avgas. Cut across to the Bight from there if you cant land at Eucla and was I reckon the highlight. After Nullabor only ordinary.

Hope the weather holds for you

Cheers

Phil

Eucla is only a waypoint. If all going well I plan to fly Caiguna to Nullarbor Roadhouse in one go, and will give them a bell before I leave the west.

Wow that is some flightplan friar pukhow many nautical miles is it? there are a lot there per sheet I am not sure your going to get them done each day that is a lot of flying per day

2142 nm to be precise. I thinking 4 6 hour days if all goes to plan. If it was summer I would fly longer down south as twilight sees a late last light. Stopping onite possibly Esperance, Ceduna?, temora, home or my CFI at Chinchilla.

Made it out of Jandakot this morning. Started to catch up to the front as we neared Kalgoorlie so we parked it. Had a bit of a look around this afternoon and will head off again in the morning. Plan for tomorrow is to Forest for fuel & a break, then down to Eucla and around the bight to Ceduna.

Made it out of Jandakot this morning. Started to catch up to the front as we neared Kalgoorlie so we parked it. Had a bit of a look around this afternoon and will head off again in the morning. Plan for tomorrow is to Forest for fuel & a break, then down to Eucla and around the bight to Ceduna.

I had to pay by cheque (or cash) at Forest over $3 lt they made a mean egg and bacon toasted sanger. We rang ahead with the order.

Nice couple.

Do as much of the Bight as you can from there.

Plenty of tiger from Kal, mainly scrub, so get over to the rail line ASAP. Where there are numerous ala's and the road.

Looks like you will be behind the front all the way.

Enjoy the trip and get the camera stoked up from Eucla to Nullabor

Phil

I had to pay by cheque (or cash) at Forest over $3 lt they made a mean egg and bacon toasted sanger. We rang ahead with the order.Nice couple.

Do as much of the Bight as you can from there.

Plenty of tiger from Kal, mainly scrub, so get over to the rail line ASAP. Where there are numerous ala's and the road.

Looks like you will be behind the front all the way.

Enjoy the trip and get the camera stoked up from Eucla to Nullabor

Phil

Thanks for the heads up, I was just wondering if we could get a feed at Forrest.

Plan on flying the rail / road as I am not expecting too many other land marks between here & Forrest.

This morning dawned with a solid overcast at 1100 feet and a calculated ground speed of only 70 knots. So I have another day to look around Kalgoorlie.

I thought it always blows from the west out here? My talent for finding head winds strikes again!!!

Weather wise it seems at this point I will fly to Esperance on Tue 4th, then on the 5th somewhere into SA (possibly Ceduna or thereabouts), Thursday the 6th to Temora (sorry Mat going to miss the State of Origin), then Friday to Qld to Chinchilla (at least).

All this is still somewhat rubbery as one needs to see and fly the local conditions each day.I have plenty of time so there is no "get there itis" demons pushing me.

If the plane goes accordingly I should (pray) have tail winds most of the way. But we will see!

Took 7407 for a fly today. She has not forgotten me, started first go, and I went on a local circuit over past congregational members' properties for nearly 2 hour. Gave her a good run and she is raring to go.

And also good news, no mice have got into my sleeping bag or camping gear in the hangar while I have been away. This has been my greatest worry to date, and so I won't have to sleep with the smell of little critters! Nice!

This morning dawned with a solid overcast at 1100 feet and a calculated ground speed of only 70 knots. So I have another day to look around Kalgoorlie.I thought it always blows from the west out here? My talent for finding head winds strikes again!!!

The tail winds will only start to kick in on Tuesday once we are on the back side of the high pressure system and the next front is approaching. But Wed is the day, should be good tail winds right across the south of the continent! I'm sitting in Katanning till Tue and then off

Made it out of Kalgoorlie today and flew the Iron Compass to Forrest. Pushed 10-15knots of headwind component most of the way. Overcast was at about 2500-3000 feet so flew at 1000 feet agl. At least it was not rough with no thermal activity.

The hospitality here at Forrest is great, would recommend an overnite stay to anyone passing this way.

Tomorrow will be down to the coast at Eucla and around the bite to Cedunda.

Got out of Forrest this morning again under a cloud base of about 2500 feet. Traked south-east over more of the Nullabor to Eucla on the coast, then around the bight to Ceduna for tonight. The flight along the bight was spectacular, flew most of it at 1000 feet and about 300 metres off the coast for a great view of the cliffs.

• Like 1

Friapuck, I know you are trying to use ULP as much as possible. But just in case you may be planning to use Avgas at Goondiwindi (as we were). The ERSA tells us it is a card fuel pump. It was, but it is not now!!! And I don't think he is in any hurry to get it fixed as he charges $100 call out fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were told by other pilots there it hasn't been working as a card machine for about 12 months!!!

• Caution 1

Friapuck, I know you are trying to use ULP as much as possible. But just in case you may be planning to use Avgas at Goondiwindi (as we were). The ERSA tells us it is a card fuel pump. It was, but it is not now!!! And I don't think he is in any hurry to get it fixed as he charges $100 call out fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were told by other pilots there it hasn't been working as a card machine for about 12 months!!!

Hey thanks for the heads up I'll keep this under consideration!

Awoke to first light not a cloud in the sky at Katanning, Esperance AWIS cloud at 3500. Wind in area for is 280/20 at 3000. So today the flight home begins! If my calculations and the forecast is sound I should get to Esperance in about 123 mins (215 nm) with a ground speed of 105 kts:plane:

Got about 15 kts tail wind for half the distance. Then a northerly blew up and ground speed matched the IAS. Esperance to Ceduna tomorrow

Today flew from Ceduna to Port Augusta in beautifully smooth air, after a short break & some fuel it was off to Broken Hill. Managed to pull off an awesome landing, rolled about 60-70 metres with the nose wheel still off the ground and then popped the left tyre! Managed to keep it straight for a bit but then veered to the side of the runway. Had to jump out and quickly drag it outside the gable markers as there was a PC-12 on downwind to land after us.

This was just after 5pm so will have to see the local LAME to get some help/tools to fix it in the morning.

New tyres & tubes were fitted only a couple of weeks ago and we have only operated from bitumen since then so I suspect they might have pinched the tube when putting the wheel back together.