Across Oz Katanning WA to Kingaroy Qld

Friarpuk

Today flew from Ceduna to Port Augusta in beautifully smooth air, after a short break & some fuel it was off to Broken Hill. Managed to pull off an awesome landing, rolled about 60-70 metres with the nose wheel still off the ground and then popped the left tyre! Managed to keep it straight for a bit but then veered to the side of the runway. Had to jump out and quickly drag it outside the gable markers as there was a PC-12 on downwind to land after us.This was just after 5pm so will have to see the local LAME to get some help/tools to fix it in the morning.

New tyres & tubes were fitted only a couple of weeks ago and we have only operated from bitumen since then so I suspect they might have pinched the tube when putting the wheel back together.

I am interested to find out the cause of your puncture. I used to have flat tyres mainly on bitumen strips. The tubes were usually worn from friction. Since changing to 10 ply, touch wood, no further hassles. I also keep the pressure up.

Some of our members used talc powder between the tyre and tube to reduce the friction.

Just a thought

Let's know the outcome

Phil

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am interested to find out the cause of your puncture. I used to have flat tyres mainly on bitumen strips. The tubes were usually worn from friction. Since changing to 10 ply, touch wood, no further hassles. I also keep the pressure up.Some of our members used talc powder between the tyre and tube to reduce the friction.

Just a thought

Let's know the outcome

Phil

I just put two new tyres and tubes on the Auster...well, my LAME did...and he used a lot of talc to ease the tube onside the casing and over the rim. New tyres and new bungees can be really thhrrriiiiillllling.

Kaz

I am interested to find out the cause of your puncture. I used to have flat tyres mainly on bitumen strips. The tubes were usually worn from friction. Since changing to 10 ply, touch wood, no further hassles. I also keep the pressure up.Some of our members used talc powder between the tyre and tube to reduce the friction.

Just a thought

Let's know the outcome

Phil

I am curious myself to see what the problem is. The tyres & tubes were fitted before I picked the aircraft up so I am not sure whether powder was used or not. When I do it I use plenty of talc. As mentioned I would not be surprised to find the tube was pinched between the wheel halves.

I did not have time this afternoon to even pull the spat off and see the tyre, but all will be revealed tomorrow.

The Sportstar tyres are a decent tyre, I racked up over 800 landings in 230 hours on the original tyres on my first Sportstar with no problems by the time I sold it. My Skylark has the same tyres and it also has given no problems and is still on it's original tyres after 430 hours and about 1000 landings. Both these aircraft have been operated both from bitumen as well as some pretty ordinary country strips.

As at 1200hrs, Wednesday 5th June, Puk is tracking to SA border then to Nullabor, ETA 1330hrs. Puk has already converted over to QLD time. I suspect he'll be watching the State of Origin tonight. Actually in SA he might have to catch the score on the internet.

Cheers, Mathew

Got the wheel off the Sportstar this morning and was pretty pi$$ed at what I found. Under the new tyre fitted only recently was not a new tube as I was told. Instead there was an old tube with patches over previous punctures. It was one of these patches that let go.

Managed to get new tube and thankfully the tyre was still usable so got it sorted.

Due to the late departure after the repair only made it to Bourke today.

• Informative 1

I have had good tail winds across the bight. av 100 kts gs. Saw whales at the head of the bight, one with a nearly all white calf. Off to Temora today or alternate, but the winds are still looking favourable!

As at 1200hrs, Wednesday 5th June, Puk is tracking to SA border then to Nullabor, ETA 1330hrs. Puk has already converted over to QLD time. I suspect he'll be watching the State of Origin tonight. Actually in SA he might have to catch the score on the internet.Cheers, Mathew

Actually I think I mislead my Sarwatchers, the 1330 eta was for Eucla. It was only meant to be a waypoint but my bladder had other ideas. Nullarbor was 1450 eta actual 1500

An early start today saw us leave Bourke to Roma via St George. A quick stop at Roma to top up fluids in the Sportstar and offload fluids from me, then we set off for home via Taroom and Thangool.

Total for the trip was 24.6 hours over 6 flying days. Apart from the tyre incident the Sportstar performed flawlessly. Overall a great trip that I would love to do again at some stage when I have more time to deviate from the most direct route and have a good look around.

An early start today saw us leave Bourke to Roma via St George. A quick stop at Roma to top up fluids in the Sportstar and offload fluids from me, then we set off for home via Taroom and Thangool.Total for the trip was 24.6 hours over 6 flying days. Apart from the tyre incident the Sportstar performed flawlessly. Overall a great trip that I would love to do again at some stage when I have more time to deviate from the most direct route and have a good look around.

Good on you Mick. I've been watching your progress with envy 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Cheers to you both Davo & Lizzy

Good on you Mick. I've been watching your progress with envy 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifCheers to you both Davo & Lizzy

Cheers Dave, look forward to catching up & showing you the new toy!

Puk is safely back on the ground after his epic journey. I enjoyed the best part of an hour flying with the Friar Friday afternoon around the north of Temora. Puk and I both started flying around the same time and whilst kids in uni and high school have curtailed my flying hours, I live vicariously through Puk's video's and the great stories he tells.

Well done on a great achievement.

Cheers, Mathew

Hi folks the trip is over! Back on terra firma after 2250 nm in 23.8 hours. Day one Tue Katanning to Esperance; Day 2 Wed Esperance to Ceduna; Day 3 Thurs Ceduna to Temora; and after a rest day on Friday, Day 4 Sat Temora to Kingaroy. Average speed was 105-110 kts gs across the south of the continent thanks to the Westerlies behind the cloud band that has been over the continent in recent days; But Temora to Kingaroy best was about 95 kts gs, but most of the time I was hard pressed to get over 85 kts gs. More another day, time to sleep!

• Like 1

What is the gps location and direction of the runways Steve? I want to log them in my devices....of course you will be getting some visits while you are building it should only be just under a 2 hr flight from here

What is the gps location and direction of the runways Steve? I want to log them in my devices....of course you will be getting some visits while you are building it should only be just under a 2 hr flight from here

Heath called in for lunch, mogas and a leg stretch, I should have taken the skyranger for three or four circuits while he ate his sandwich to shake the water down,.... but I didn't, I was keen to hear about his Nullabor crossing. I am keen to do the reverse trip unless someone talks me into going across the top instead. Tony and Heath both used the co-ordinates off the second page of the Savnnah muster thread and found me.