Corvair Engines

barney181269

I am bringing a number of Corvair engine cores into the country and am interested to know if other enthusiasts would be interested in engine cores. I'm not sure of final pricing yet but would be as reasonable as possible for quality cores. Am also looking at bring WW / Weseman items into country as well. Cheers

I am bringing a number of Corvair engine cores into the country and am interested to know if other enthusiasts would be interested in engine cores. ...

Interested but you are about 2 years too early for me. If I had the funds right now i would be interested. The CFC still exists (Thats Chris Financial Crisis).

Keep us updated on how you go with cores and prices.

there was an Australian who represented WW for a while but all went quiet.

Barney,

I'd be interested in one, they're an ideal match for the pietenpol air camper i am building, but I still have a few years to go, so I am In no rush. Having said that i would jump early for the engine if the opportunity presented itself.

Phil

Just a suggestion. I have a core sitting in Roys Garage in the USA. I am planning on having the crank modified and nitrided, a new OT10 cam fitted and the two case halves joined, a fifth bearing fitted and then sent over. You can get it done here but the Corvair being as rare as hens teeth in Australia, I dont want to trust it to just anyone. I will then assemble the rest of the engine. I dont need mine for probably 18 months either. It would be cost effective to do a bulk buy and have them all shipped together. I have most of the WW parts here already. Freight is the killer and with a core engine, there are a lot of parts that you wont reuse and will toss when it gets here. Your paying to bring parts over that are not used.

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Just a suggestion. I have a core sitting in Roys Garage in the USA. I am planning on having the crank modified and nitrided, a new OT10 cam fitted and the two case halves joined, a fifth bearing fitted and then sent over. You can get it done here but the Corvair being as rare as hens teeth in Australia, I dont want to trust it to just anyone. I will then assemble the rest of the engine. I dont need mine for probably 18 months either. It would be cost effective to do a bulk buy and have them all shipped together. I have most of the WW parts here already. Freight is the killer and with a core engine, there are a lot of parts that you wont reuse and will toss when it gets here. Your paying to bring parts over that are not used.Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Roys would be a great alternate for supply of the reco'd 'short' engine, what is he charging for that? Changes with specifics I guess. Time frame? Given that WW is apparently a 'prickly' person to deal with I am very conscious of getting started on the right foot with him, 'cause I don't think you get a second chance to start over. I'm very interested in Dans 3.4 stroker crank when he gets back on track with that little project and so am waiting as long as I can before committing myself to a final configuration. How did you go getting WW to supply the remaining items for your assembly or did you use a third party? ( though you should have been in the good books by building a Pietenpol ). Then we'd just need a pair of Falcon heads.

Roys would be a great alternate for supply of the reco'd 'short' engine, what is he charging for that? Changes with specifics I guess. Time frame? Given that WW is apparently a 'prickly' person to deal with I am very conscious of getting started on the right foot with him, 'cause I don't think you get a second chance to start over. I'm very interested in Dans 3.4 stroker crank when he gets back on track with that little project and so am waiting as long as I can before committing myself to a final configuration. How did you go getting WW to supply the remaining items for your assembly or did you use a third party? ( though you should have been in the good books by building a Pietenpol ). Then we'd just need a pair of Falcon heads.

Hi Barney...I was lucky enough to find a guy here in Australia who had bought all the WW parts for his project then couldnt finish it. He listed them all on Ebay and I bought the lot. In saying that I have ordered other parts from WW and had no problems. WW just doesnt tolerate idiots and I am the same so we get on fine. Treat him with a bit of respect and he will bend over backwards for you. He has responded to my emails in the past. I own a business and was answering every call as they came in and found I wasnt getting any work done. I now let them all go to message bank and spend a half hour each night responding which I think is what WW does.

To be honest I am finding Roy hard to get a hold of. All these guys dont like using email which is a pain for us due to the time zone difference. I initially chose Roys bearing as he line bores and fits it to your case. I believe you get a better fit that way. In saying that, the Dan second generation bearing has this too from what I have seen.

Have you seen the articles WW wrote recently about the different short engine options? Have a look through his archives at http://flycorvair.net/

It was January and February 2013.

Looking at a standard Corvair short block assembled with a fifth bearing is between $3000 - $4000. Then freight to get it here. I reckon if WW was approached with an order for some of these he could freight them all together saving a chunk of money for us.

Have you seen the articles WW wrote recently about the different short engine options? Have a look through his archives at http://flycorvair.net/

Looking at a standard Corvair short block assembled with a fifth bearing is between $3000 - $4000. Then freight to get it here. I reckon if WW was approached with an order for some of these he could freight them all together saving a chunk of money for us.

I have read the WW articles on different engine short block assemblies, thinking mine will be an Eddie Easy. I read WW site everyday, a great source of building and philosophical ideals. As for consolidating freight, I'm all for it. As I mentioned earlier, I'm very keen on Dan Wesemans 3.4 stroker crank, so I'm hoping he'll progress that item soon, since his Panther is now flying ( though he does have a kit and 2 seater to organise ).

Cheers,

Russell aka barney

Sorry for the delay. i could not find it in my information. Darren Barnfield was mentioned as Williams Down under guy at http://www.flycorvair.com/hangar0208.html. there is an email address there but 2008 was a long time ago.

Unfortunately, Darrens Email address is not current. Address not found, undeliverable. Will keep trying alternate avenues...

Any chance he could contact me at rashton at pacific turbine dot com dot au

I've ordered my flycorvair conversion manual and dvd's, have a guy looking into cores for me, hopefully a few spares to in anyone else is interested...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, will chase this today, and it's local

Barney...$1000 is too much for a core. Also check it has the right serial numbers to be able to be used for an aero conversion. 1965 to 1969 are the best. You can use a 1964 but with restrictions from memory. You need to get the serial numbers off it. Its probably only worth $300 as it is IF the numbers are right. You cant take the guys word that "it was running when it was removed".

A lot of these engines have been sitting out in the weather at Wreckers Yards. I've seen blogs of them being "restored' and some look a bit sick at the beginning. Some would not be in the condition appropriate for use in a plane. Nev

Barney...$1000 is too much for a core. Also check it has the right serial numbers to be able to be used for an aero conversion. 1965 to 1969 are the best. You can use a 1964 but with restrictions from memory. You need to get the serial numbers off it. Its probably only worth $300 as it is IF the numbers are right. You cant take the guys word that "it was running when it was removed".Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I agree, the asking price is high, but it is local and available now to make a start on a new project. I'm open minded enough to investigate this engine core and ascertain its codes and condition before negotiating an appropriate selling price. The 'suppliers' (wrecking yards, etc ) in the States have proven to be 'difficult' to coax across the line, it always starts out well then tapers off with no end result. Craigslist seems to have a hiccup with international Emailing, though I had found some promising cores there.

I have been following WW, Dan Weseman, Mark Langford and others for a few years now, learning the specific requirements to successfully convert one of these engines for reliable aircraft duty.

All this, just to get in the starting blocks...

Russell

A lot of these engines have been sitting out in the weather at Wreckers Yards. I've seen blogs of them being "restored' and some look a bit sick at the beginning. Some would not be in the condition appropriate for use in a plane. Nev

As an engine core, it is only intended to be a starting point to then heap time, knowledge and materials on in order to eventually produce a worthy, reliable, flight engine. Sometimes a real Cinderella story. It helps that I have spent 30+ years in the aircraft engine game ( turbine repair, overhaul and test ) and been an auto / skiboat builder along the way, having built a fair few VW's and Chev's. It's not going to be a quick build, but will be very slow, thorough blueprinting, but I enjoy that stuff.

Russell