New 3300

deadstick

Heres a few pics of the latest 3300 that I'm installing in my 230 ATM.

The pics show an old 12 point nut up against the larger new ones, the pushrod tubes, the sump and intake plenum are cast as one unit, and the cast starter motor housings.

IMG_2991.JPG.1e74e2fee1885e7bcb50b8c97a73e37a.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG.0938bbe964734b7cc120c44cdf0d5030.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG.0950cb3d5d0defe932ae98655406008e.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG.65176dac273d2ea9af7ca8c8716b530b.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG.0149e123f03eef39b0417d2863f391cb.JPG

• Like 2

Intake is interesting, appears to be old design but cast into sump

There was a newer design which was long and narrow but still was separate part - updated already?

Hopefully they have improved the intake fuel distribution ... it will be interesting to see if this engine mod will have a better EGT spread?

If it this has improved distribution, it may go a long way to stopping the thru bolt issue owing to lean mixtures and detonation, albeit this is mostly a 4 cylinder issue.

Cheers

Vev

• Agree 1

funny that you would make the intake chamber (which needs to be very cool to make max power ) part of the sump,( which is hot)? Or maybe they want to cool the oil with incoming gas??? I wouldn't....But it shows some one is thinking...

• Like 1

funny that you would make the intake chamber (which needs to be very cool to make max power ) part of the sump,( which is hot)? Or maybe they want to cool the oil with incoming gas??? I wouldn't....But it shows some one is thinking...

That's what I would like to know more about. Heating the intake downstream of the carb isn't going to help with carb icing.

Old 2-stroke projectiles like the Kawasaki Mach III were partially cooled by the vaporising of incoming fuel; even if nursed they could barely return 24mpg.

The Jab has so little oil, maybe oil cooling is the reason- unless they are trying to keep the fuel vaporised during its long trip down a cold tube to the cylinder.

Lycomings do it. It wouldn't do much for carb icing but long intakes seem to be a problem that way and it might aid vaporisation of the fuel. It cools the oil, but the sumps look a little sludgy which is consistent with being cooled. The best place for a carburetter is under the motor( for safety and closeness to where the manifold has to go and more even length of intake run, air filter location etc) The sump is in the way so the pipes go through it it's all cast in one piece. It's a pretty solid thing to bolt to also. but the bottom of the engine would be better to be like the top and have a dry sump to keep it stronger. It's all a compromise.. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

ahh, that must be the reason then. Automobile related.Not power related..........The motorcycle engines that I know of don't ever do that. Not ever. If the intake is cooled to achieve better density, then it follows that the density achieved is lost when you heat the mixture so why cool it in the first place. On my 0-200/TBI I made a cool air (chin) intake and went to a lot of trouble to keep the mixture as cool as possible until it entered the cylinder ( Colder air = denser air= higher inertia= better cylinder filling) Goes like the clappers and runs very well in a very lean state...I hope it help the Jab 6....

The new vs old wouldnt change heat transfer to much? Old type was machined alloy bolted hard to sump, this one is the one piece, difference wouldnt be very much id have thought

I wonder whats in the intake side as far as splitter or vane? Some claim a piece of round rod helps better than standard vane. Interested in what Jabiru have fitted into new version.

• Agree 1

You get higher volumetric efficiency with cold air all the way through. That fact is accepted all round. Modern fuels don't vaporise easily so some improvement might help things. You only run your engine flat out for a short while. so heating the charge at lower power settings can be compensated for, but you shouldn't overdo it.

Note the updraft intake on the 0-200's probably distributes fuel quite evenly as it is X shaped. the design of the engine lower section permits this. Streamlined intake manifolding it hard to get the mixture distribution even over the whole range (or at any point actually) Nev

There's enough room for under engine (updraft) carburation if only they would dry sump the motor. The other cure, fuel injection has been ruled out ........but I suppose that a whole different story. On the other hand a certain Mordialloc based machining company makes Heads, Carb, Ignition and Alternator for the flat six. Why not the whole hog? Copy the good bits of Jabiru, discard the bits that don't work...What a ripper that might be.............

The updraught suite the 0-200 being four cylinder. i don't know the firing order of the six and whether a single updraught carb would work. I don't know what carb would be available either except the floatless pressure one that you know who makes. Nev

• Haha 1