MGL Avionics V10 Transceiver

I'm in the market for a new radio for my Jabiru. I have spend a kings ransom on the existing unit and don't wish to spend any more. The specs look good but nothing like someones past experience. Cheers

I am super happy with the Xcom...and I sell Icoms....I put the Xcom into mine after a lot of research also weight and size came into it otherwise I would have put the Ic-210 into the aircraft. It has built in intercom now and dual watch. So does the Xcom but it is much lighter and works the same also it is a little cheaper. I have a MGL Xtreme in my aircraft but didnt consider their radio at the time as they didnt really seem to have it sorted fully yet but seem to now. If you have a MGL EFIS it will work with the V10

Thanks for the responses. Always a conundrum. Current radio is an older BendixKing panel unit. Has a compatibility problem with my Bose X headsets and also the hash just bursts in after the first transmission is received and then disappears 10 minutes later, never to return that day. Spent too much on it so seeking a replacement. The Icom would be a good "fit" but now had three sources who warned me away. Mainly the problems created with the ribbon cable and its attachment to the unit. Weak link in a good radio. I prefer the panel type vs the smaller units but seems its not a viable option. The Xcom sounds like a good unit at a reasonable price. I'd like to find a supplier who will do a take back if I buy and I still have the current issues.

• Caution 1

The Icom ICA-200 was an excellent radio but I have heard that the ICA-210 require removal of the front panel to unlock the unit from it's mounting tray. If this is true, (as a retired avionics LAME) I consider it a real negative. Perhaps Kyle could enlighten me on this. I have bought an MGL V-10 for my Morgan Sierra project. A friend has had one in his RV-6 for several years and loves it! John.

I had the ICA-200 in the Starlet and it performed faultlessly and still is as far as I know. I bought this radio from a mate who was upgrading to an ICA-210 in his Jabbie. It worked well and had its own intercom built in therefore was better for the 2 seater. I believe it slid straight into the same cradle as the 200.

Laurie

I have installed an A-200, A-210 & SL40 in different airframes over the last few years and have had no complaints with any of them. As another person mentioned the A-210 does have a ribbon connector to connect the removable front panel which you need to treat with care, however this radio install has been working without any issues since 2009.

With any radio/intercom install don't skimp on wiring. Use shielded, aircraft approved wire where called to avoid interference. Take special note of correct grounding of the shields. Avoid 'spaghetti' wiring by planning the layout and taking care with wire lengths. Use good quality coax and fittings, taking note of the specs called for in the installation manual. Seek advice if you have not got radio experience (my tip as a long time mechanical LAME, who has ventured into radio work in the last few years). If it was not for some good advice from others during my 1st RAAus radio install (the A-210 in 2009) I'd have made a number of errors too.

From the few radio/avionic jobs that I have been involved in I can't stress enough the need to thoroughly understand all aspects of the installation manual, use correct spec materials and do a neat job. Having also been involved in some troubleshooting of installs it quickly becomes a case of being easier to just rip out poor installs and start again than try to identify and fix all the errors.

Hope these tips help.

The IC-210 is a nice radio and it does have the issue that you need to remove the front panel to actually lock the body into the cradel then you put the head back on. It has a small 10 way or so ZIF strip you have to remove and reinsert off the main body pcb. It is only a pain or a issue if your not used to it but now days radios are full of them and its a no brainer for a tech. Having said that I have supplied a lot of replacement cables as most do not know how to remove or replace them. I had one guy even break the zif connector off the head pcb that was a job repairing that one.

• Agree 1