Airport Closure

Airports are closed?

We are going backwards.

BMA the big miner have closed these airports.

Blackwater is closed to all aircraft on safety grounds but is safe to RFDS. I can not figure that one.

The other closure is Dysart. These poor people have a very pleasant aero club without an airstrip, they are sort of stuck.

Has any body have some truths about these issues.

Regards,

Keith page

Kaz

The Blackwater airport is west of the oxline, the oxline is where mining starts because the coal gets good there because the other side of the line is rubbish. The airport is on rubbish coal.

If that is the case why is it dangerous to take off and land.?

Can not answer for Dysart.

Regards,

Keith Page..

• 1 month later...

Any news on these airports?

I am working on the Blackwater issue and will need some help at a later date at the moment I am in talks with BMA,

my current task is to get a list of people who are interested in forming an aeroclub.

I think it would be a great airport for a fly in with great space and amenities, plusssssssss it is a quiet location with minimal traffic.

Only needs a group of people to drive the issue, keep you all posted.

Regards

Keith Page

Guest Maj Millard

Many of these small country airports were just that until the large multinational coal mining companies came along. They then developed them for their own use, and conned the small councils into letting them take them over (money talks !). Now private flyers can't use them, or need special permission via some office in Brisbane to do so, plus have to pay a huge ' operating fee' for the privilege..

CASA ...it's a safety issue !...as these airports are handy for safe cross-country flight, and refuelling if necessary, or when the WX goes bad as it can in these areas.

Which ones will be next ???......Collinsville, Nebo, Springsure ?????????.....................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Can't comment on these particular strips, but it sounds as if you guys know your way around Qld, can you recommend any strips between Warwick and Cairns where an asic isn't needed and fuel is available, and you might even get a kind smile 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Regarding Blackwater - It sits on Lot 22 HT600 which is approx 2,700 ha (6,700 ac) of Lands Lease (ie owned by the Qld State Govt and leased) - which tells you that this block was never a dedicated airstrip. I would have to ask people who have been around longer if it had been a strip before BMA leased it. The local Council does not control it, however I could follow the trail in the minutes, as they certainly discussed it. If you have a look at the ERSA entry for Blackwater, it notes a number of issues - blasting, towers, dragline boom, infringements, that impact on safety. It is also a Security Controlled Airport. BMA would be considering their liability.

Q-Link ceased services due to low numbers, Council supported that because they had spent $13million on upgrading Emerald. Blackwater airport is 11km out of town, so you have to drive there, Emerald, with far more flights & services and better terminal is only 71km. BMA have stated a number of times that they have no intention of mining the airstrip (but would not rule that out for the distant future). By my estimation from other local strips, it would have cost in excess of $2mill to establish and it is in constant use by their own charter flights and RFDS (over 100 flights per year). They have an airport reporting officer, all the manuals etc required for regular charter services. One issue they have - Fire & Rescue services - are not adequate for RPT. They were relying on Emerald to provide these services as Blackwater is a volunteer unit. Two minor RPTs have expressed an interest in resuming flights to Brisbane, but have not, as yet, succeeded. Skytrans was the last I heard of in 2012. The mining downturn has reduced population and probably passenger numbers.

Various groups have attempted to "save" Blackwater, or have RPTs returned. The local State & Federal Ministers have approached BMA & CHRCouncil. The local Blackwater Workers' Club (last year) were well advanced on an offer to take over the airstrip. One of the present CHRC councillors is a supporter of the "re-opening" of Blackwater. The ERSA entry only has a restriction to Night use (emergencies only). Try ringing and asking if they would allow a private plane to land - I have not heard what their response is - but have not heard anyone denied.

It is a private strip, on an active mine. BMA would be considering the issues of risk involved with allowing anyone to enter and undertake uncontrolled activities. I could give you a few names of community people already involved with the fight for the strip.

Springsure is not under threat, Rolleston is getting an upgrade.

Sue

• Agree 2

Hi dlegg,

As I do not know which track you are taking hence I will have just throw some names out there the non asic makes it harder --- planning is your bother.

Couple I can think of "Old Station" they have av-gas I would give them a call and check it out.

The other is "Dingo" they have a strip out the back of the servo. Mogas there.

"Nebo":- mogas a bit of walk into town, if you are fit not a bother. Pub has good meals.

"Clermont":- I think you can get fuel (avgas) there do not know about the asic part though.

Maj will have some clues for up the northern end.

Happy flighing....

That is all my help.

Regards

Keith Page

Hi Sue

Thank you for information regarding the "Land Lease" will be very useful and makes the issue interesting.

The safety bit --- keep west of the road to the washplant and all will be sweat that is not hard to achieve.

The part regarding security control that is not updated all locks have gone and the gates a flapping in the breeze.

A phone call asking for permission to land is a bit like calling the KBG.

Just for a bit of fun email for permission.

Regards

Keith Page

Council offered to take it over in 2010, but the consultant report said it would need upgrading etc and it failed at a Council meeting in 2010. Try asking the Mines Inspectorate if the airstrip would be included under the mine (it is on their mine lease) and subject to having a BMA induction. Can't remember where the security gate is - at the office or on the entrance. Have not been out there for a while. Do you need to go through security to get to the airstrip?

I'll see what reports I can find regarding Blackwater from CHRC minutes & agendas.

Sue

I can vaguely remember something regarding the Council back in 2010, useful information.

I had a snoop about there last week, just a look about to see if things are different, noted there is a remote weather station standing in pride of place, stand on the apron look to the west at the holding point look to your right there it is.

Security gate:- at the apron, directly beside the ameneties block be careful there if one must dash they are bound up with red and white tape, can not be used,

One must go through the security gate to get to the strip, gate is not a bother as it is flopping in the breeze.

Regards

Keith Page

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard
Can't comment on these particular strips, but it sounds as if you guys know your way around Qld, can you recommend any strips between Warwick and Cairns where an asic isn't needed and fuel is available, and you might even get a kind smile 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

G'day Dlegg, North of Warick you've got Chinchilla with avgas. Handled by the Aero club I think, and they may need to come out from town, but no drama. They may have installed a cardswipe last time I was there. As Keith said Old Station now has an avgas facility, contact them prior to landing by phone. Dingo roadhouse has mogas, good strip, excellent facilities. Further North and it gets a little harder. Shute Harbor and Proserpine have avgas. Swipe bowser at Shute, need to contact Whitsunday aero club at Proserpine. Bowen is a walk to servo, for mogas. Ayr maybe avgas if someone is around. Ingham has avgas on bowser, no ASIC. Next stop Tully and Innisfail for avgas on bowser at both. gee that's about it unfortunately. Most of those mentioned except Dingo Roadhouse would have contact numbers in ERSA....................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Check ERSA for Proserpine

7. Use of airport by ultralight and non-VH registered ACFT requires the submission of a

completed Conditional Agreement Form AVBL from:

http://www.whitsundayrc.qld.gov.au/web/guest/aerodromes.

3. This AD is a Security Controlled Airport.

Charters Towers has avgas, not security controlled.

Good Morning All

Maj! With you about who needs maps, that was a good lesson on geography and fuel stops.

Frank! You are full of useful snippets, too.

When I am home again I think it is a trip to Heathrow (brace yourself Maj) keep you posted, at the moment I am busy packing for the annual pilgrimage for parts, ideas, etc. etc. shopping.

The Blackwater airport issue will have to be on hold for a few days, you know what -- it will still be there as large as life when I return fresh and full of red cordial.

Regards

Keith Page

BMA Blackwater got approval at the June Council meeting to establish a 1,152 room accommodation village on the mine site, guessing some may want to try flying their private planes in. The reason I was enquiring about Security Gates, was that at some other mines with airstrips, you have to pass through the company's security gate - sign in, pick the coloured marble out of the bag (wrong colour and you are drug & alcohol tested), do the induction video, sign the "I am not fatigued" declaration, be issued with PPE (unless you have your own approved), pin on the Visitor tag or swipe the card. Then go through the paperwork for "I came through the gate but I am flying out and therefore have to be struck off the list of people on the mine site (for blasting, emergencies etc) when departure is notified."

The consultant's report is no longer available on-line - it would have been in the Agenda which is now not available. For Council to take Blackwater over they would be looking at employing staff as Airport Reporting Officers, cleaners, slashers, building & pavement maintenance etc. The consultant also noted that the width of the airstrip no longer complied with the RPT standard and it would require widening, several things that infringed the surface area to be relocated ... their costings based on the number of passengers was an extra $120 per RPT passenger on top of the usual landing fees. This would kill off most custom. Emerald (71km - 45mins) has up to 12 flights a day with two airlines, spacious modern terminal, cafe, fuel, light aircraft hangars & tie down area, pilot room, cross strip, flying school, LAME, charter operators, car hire; just too attractive to make Blackwater viable. There were also issues with the airstrip sitting on a large plot of land, the Qld Govt can only have one leaseholder per parcel and it was going to get complicated.

Council is considering the sale of the Emerald Airport. It has been a black hole for money, but should be running at a profit. I have seen a summary of the recommendations but not the full report. It now falls to the Council to decide if it is in the ratepayer's interest to sell a fully functioning airport with all the bells & whistles. They are presently building a charter only terminal to save the miners going through security screening at the RPT terminal.

Sue

Emerald security is out of control - they will not even give you the gate security code (wearing ASIC card) without going to the office to sign some security document. Otherwise you have to ring security each time to gain entry - still only need ASIC when they arrive. One could be forgiven for thinking it is some sort of job creation method. 2 officials to open gate on my last visit.

Thanks very much for all the local info crew, will be making my way north soon so will be dropping in on the friendlies..... 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Miles/ Condabri looks very close to opening again. We drove pass the runway yesterday on our way to work. The Runway and hardstand area appears to have all the bitumen down. Just needs to be painted.

Guest Maj Millard

The ramp and parking areas at Ingham airport are currently undergoing major redo, as a result of draining deficiencies highlighted by Cyclone Yasi a couple of years ago............Maj...

Emerald security is out of control - they will not even give you the gate security code (wearing ASIC card) without going to the office to sign some security document. Otherwise you have to ring security each time to gain entry - still only need ASIC when they arrive. One could be forgiven for thinking it is some sort of job creation method. 2 officials to open gate on my last visit.

Try Gladstone, they don't even have a security code. Only way through the gate is an ARO letting you in after sighting an ASIC & this includes locals that pay a parking fee annually to keep an aircraft tied down on the apron.

Many of these small country airports were just that until the large multinational coal mining companies came along. They then developed them for their own use, and conned the small councils into letting them take them over (money talks !). Now private flyers can't use them, or need special permission via some office in Brisbane to do so, plus have to pay a huge ' operating fee' for the privilege..CASA ...it's a safety issue !...as these airports are handy for safe cross-country flight, and refuelling if necessary, or when the WX goes bad as it can in these areas.

Which ones will be next ???......Collinsville, Nebo, Springsure ?????????.....................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Maj it is not only mining companies doing this, Gladstone Regional Council spent $65 million making the runway & terminal to suit jets, now they want to charge Raa & light GA landing fees to help pay for it.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Miles/ Condabri looks very close to opening again. We drove pass the runway yesterday on our way to work. The Runway and hardstand area appears to have all the bitumen down. Just needs to be painted.

Just a up date, The airport is finished. BUT is was knocked back by CASA (fair enough too), some bright spark placed hi tension powers lines at one end. They will have to be lowered (by a lot) or that section place under ground. The opposite end to the road that runs from Miles to Condamine.

• 4 months later...

Kingaroy airport has swipe bowser for avgas, no ASIC needed, no landing fees.