Unbelievable natural flight

This shows just how good mother nature is with designing birds. The last one is so good where the Osprey can not gain height after grabbing a huge fish so it eventually gets it streamlined under its body then can fly away...its a big lesson in the "drag component"...just awesome nature video the film makers must have extreme levels of patience

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded

• Like 3

Absolutely stunning video.

Where I live the birds will often fly right at my veranda and then climb at the last minute over the roof. Sometimes they go the other way from over the roof and then descend. Either way, they are right at eye level and it is quite fascinating to watch their flight. We also have a local pair of magpies that we hand feed sometimes. When I call them, they will launch out of the trees across the street, drop like bricks to get airspeed and then glide up to the railing and land right in front of me. It's really neat, but a little unnerving to have two of these black and white bullets coming straight at you at high speed head on.

I blame magpies for getting me interested in flight. At dusk each day they would assemble up the long sloping paddock from our dairy and take turns flying up a few metres, then dropping and skimming the ground for a hundred metres or more. They'd land, strut about with a satisfied expression then fly back up for another go.

This shows just how good mother nature is with designing birds. The last one is so good where the Osprey can not gain height after grabbing a huge fish so it eventually gets it streamlined under its body then can fly away...its a big lesson in the "drag component"...

I thought that it looked a lot like a helicopter getting translational lift as airspeed increased.

Guest Maj Millard

Lovely stuff, love the way one does the in-flight shake/dry, loses a bit of height doing it but then picks it up again after shedding the weight..Nature at it's best !...............Maj....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif