Fibre Glass Fuel Tank

I'm considering trying my hand at making my own fuel tank for my Tyro with fibre glass.

So the question is , is there a locally available epoxy/resin that is ok to use with ethanol now found in most pump petrol.

I think the thoughts of using a resin or epoxy that is ok with straight petrol is not practical these days because in my opinion ethanol will be turning up more and more then eventually in all pump petrol.

Anyone have experience with this...?

cheers

JimG

Hi Jim, Don't know too much about ethanol but one thing I can tell you is only use vinylester resin when making anything fibreglass that will come into contact with fuel. Now, if anyone can add anything about ethanol, we'll both be happy! John.

Try to actively avoid ethanol in fuel as it is hygroscopic (affinity to attach to water) and it can lead to collections of water in your fuel tanks, carburetor and jets, leading to engine failure. Ethanol is capable of carrying water past fuel filters. This water is mixed (dissolved) by the alcohol and is not evident on the usual fuel drain preflight check, much the same way as you mix scotch and water without the water separating. This deposition of water is more evident at altitude where the fuel vaporises at a lower temperature as it leaves the jets of the carburetor leaving the water behind.

Some forms of rubber hose are also degraded by ethanol. Given these hoses usually are after the fuel filter, rubber debris can also get into the carburetor causing an engine failure.

Plan NOT to use ethanol fuel, even if it means going up a grade to achieve it.

Vinyl Ester is resistant to most chemicals and the only resin to use if you are making a fuel tank. Use a good sloshing compound to ensure perfect sealing as fuel will often find its way along any exposed fibres. Never use ethanol for reasons mentioned above even if it means having to stay somewhere longer than you planned.

... Never use ethanol for reasons mentioned above even if it means having to stay somewhere longer than you planned.

"A bed above ground is preferable to a bed below ground..."

Thanks for all these replies and I totally agree with the desire not to use petrol with an ethanol blend , however my fear and belief is that ethanol will be slowly other the coming years be in most if not all pump petrol.

So , my intention will be, as i do now for my Terrier, is to only use straight petrol. I just want to build this tank to be able to tolerate ethanol if it accidentally or otherwise has some in it.

Maybe the go would be to build it with VinylEster and then slosh it with the product mentioned in the thread O K referenced to , it is advertised to be OK with ethanol.

Cheers

JimG

Vinylester resin is the only resin, but don't slosh it, it will come back to bit you , I saw another crash not long ago where the sloshing compound came off and went into the fuel lines.

When you have made up the tank, mix some more resin add a little filler to thicken it a little and brush another coat inside the tank to seal any small holes, make a wet coat.

• 2 weeks later...

Vinylester resin is the only resin, but don't slosh it, it will come back to bit you , I saw another crash not long ago where the sloshing compound came off and went into the fuel lines.

Where was this crash you refer to?