CASA Deed of Agreement

FlyingVizsla

Guest Maj Millard

He possibly means the San Francisco 777 accident a couple of days ago. Latest info suggest incompetence by the pilot, who spent most of the final approach at idle, and only tried to arrest the descent 1.5 seconds prior to impact !.........seems we are not the only ones with a 'preventable accidents" problem. In fact worldwide, the greater number of aviation fatalities are at the hands of commercially rated pilots..............Maj...031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

There have been three major accidents at San Francisco International. It is not a particularly bad airport to land at, however at times the cloud/fog base can be low, and it's not uncommon for the runways to be wet.

First was a Japan Airlines DC-8 that descended too low, and ended up in the water, on final approach.

Second, a China Airlines MD-11 landed so hard 'at SF that it burst most of the tires, and caused severe structural damage to the almost new aircraft. FAA said park it, and it probabily never flew again.

And now Asiana with the B777, which so far has a great safety record, except for the one that dead-sticked into Heathrow after a high altitude fuel line freezing problem.

TTerry's, Did I at any stage suggest it be an annual requirement ?????....go back and read it again please. I was suggesting when the aircraft comes up for re-registration after being out of the system for some time, (de-registered) and when the aircraft changes hands, and the rego is transferred to a new owner. You have to get a UACR done at that time anyway ...it would be an appropriate time to do an airworthiness check. If the machine is in good shape and airworthy, then no drama...if it's not or requires serious and safety related work, then it needs to be done before somebody gets hurt................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Every time an aircraft is re-registered or changes owners a UACR is required to be completed by an L2. This really is a tick the box episode, and carries no guarantee of airworthiness, although many mistakenly think it does.

Sorry Maj I read the above and misinterpreted what you were saying. When I read re-registered I thought you meant yearly registration but I see you meant re-registered after a long lapse. If most accidents are pilot error how would this change be of any value at all. If it could be shown that there is a large number of raa aircraft flying with faults or there are deaths as a result of faulty aircraft then ok. The problem I have is I like things the way they are where the responsibility sits with the owner and pilot. I as a pilot don't rely on an l2 to tell me my plane is ok to fly I decide myself if it's ok to fly. I do the maintenance, I want the responsibility. For people who are unable to maintain their aircraft or don't have the hands on skills then by all means get it done by some one else but don't inflict this on every body else with a new set of costs and everything else that goes along with it.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I can see where your coming from, and I agree you should be able to do your own maintenance, and be happy with that. There are a percentage of accidents caused by faulty aircraft or faulty maintenance, just trying to curb a bit of that. I was primarily trying to cover the situation where a person sells an aircraft with known faults, or unapproved mods or repairs, or rooted wing -skins etc..to somebody new to the scene, who doesn't know his arxx from his breakfast , and ends up with a dangerous aircraft. You'd be surprised how often I see this as an L2.

I also enjoy my right to maintain my own aircraft, and I certainly wouldn't want to infringe on those freedoms at all. The only ones who may try to do that would be CASA, as they don 't like the idea of people maintaining their own aircraft. Remember they are basically about control, and they don't lik things they don't have control off.......your input on this is very good, it lets me know what people want.........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif