Carrying an empty fuel can on a 582 Drifter

Lior

Dear folks,

In order to extend my Drifter's range without resorting to thermals, I am trying to study the feasibility of carrying an empty fuel can with just 2% volume of oil in it so as not to affect weight + CG while taking a passenger (i.e. rear seat with a human occupant - no room for fuel can).

Would the Alaskan Bushwheel Liquid Containment Bag be stowable anywhere on a Drifter without severe weathering? It measures 21.5*24" Currently my baggage arrangements are confined to a Maxpedition Operator bag suspended behind the front seat, without any ventral bins or anything like that. This bag gives me sufficient clearance from the rear control stick.

So how would you blokes (am not sure if the term cobbers is used) recommend carrying an empty 20l can for filling up at opportune fuel stations on this cute little aircraft?

Dear folks,In order to extend my Drifter's range without resorting to thermals, I am trying to study the feasibility of carrying an empty fuel can with just 2% volume of oil in it so as not to affect weight + CG while taking a passenger (i.e. rear seat with a human occupant - no room for fuel can).

Would the Alaskan Bushwheel Liquid Containment Bag be stowable anywhere on a Drifter without severe weathering? It measures 21.5*24" Currently my baggage arrangements are confined to a Maxpedition Operator bag suspended behind the front seat, without any ventral bins or anything like that. This bag gives me sufficient clearance from the rear control stick.

So how would you blokes (am not sure if the term cobbers is used) recommend carrying an empty 20l can for filling up at opportune fuel stations on this cute little aircraft?

G 'day Lior, If you get the RA-AUS sport pilot magazine, on the front page of the latest edition SkyShop have collapsible fuel jerry cans, a 7 and a 20 litre.

SAJ

(Firstly: I am no expert on these things I will just say what I have heard and seen.

Things can be stowed in the wings by undoing the velcro. I also believe there was a Fatality due to this because the stowed item slipped out the back, into the prop which chopped off the tail/ structural failure of some sort.

If you have a large nose pod, a collapsable fuel bag should fit in there.

a collapsable bag could also fit behind the piliots seat. I Know wayne fishers training drifter had a cargo pod moulded into the back of the front seat.

I have seen pilots flying dual carrying a 10l jerry behind the pilots head attached to the A frame.

There is also room to attach a collapsable bag behind the pax seat between that and the framework before the fuel tank that slopes back like this /

http://www.drifteraircraft.com/DesktopModules/SimpleGallery/SlideShowPopup.aspx?PortalID=1&ItemID=57

would be interesting to hear what other knowledge drifter drivers can shed

• Like 1

Saw a Drifter a few years ago with two 20 L jerry cans in holders attached directly above the wheel struts, we wont go into the hand pump attached to them for the passenger to transfer fuel to the main tank. pilot reckoned that balance was ok due to the weight over the c of g. would be a good place to store empty containers. my old plane used to carry a bicycle in the same position.

The liquid containment bag (empty) could be stowed anywhere you could fit it. If you had a 20l 'jerry' can as we call them... I would look at rigging something up to carry it under the pan like the belly tanks you see on many Drifters.