The cost of freight is depressing

http://www.kikoauctions.com/?nav=auctions&details=3358

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4767

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4760

Just checking out the classifieds on a Kitfox forum, there is some good deals to be had I reckon, damn shame the freight is a killer,

It is often more than the profit on the article. I have also found it to be more than the value of the article. I have also had the article rendered valueless because of damage to it in transit. I have had stuff stolen .Not happy Alice (particularly UPS). the other week I went to and from Sydney (from Melb) because I couldn't bare to have the articles damaged. Nev

I haven't had any bad experiences ,,,yet,,,but heard lot of stories. A mate had an RV7 quick build arrive with a couple of forklift tyne holes in the side of the box ,the fuselage was a write off. If I had the dosh it would be a good pastime to pack a container with a few of these projects ,wouldn't get rich of it but would be an interesting side line.

I haven't had any bad experiences ,,,yet,,,but heard lot of stories. A mate had an RV7 quick build arrive with a couple of forklift tyne holes in the side of the box ,the fuselage was a write off. If I had the dosh it would be a good pastime to pack a container with a few of these projects ,wouldn't get rich of it but would be an interesting side line.

MM: You missed the boat. Now that the $AU is falling, I doubt it you'd make any money out of it and would likely actually lose. When the $ was $1.07 US there was money to be made, but not anymore. But then, the easy money was buying $US cash and waiting for the $AU to drop.

Forget the freight cost, I reckon the array of port and customs cost, along with taxes totally wreck everything. I don't think half of the oth countries would get raped at the docks like we do!

• Agree 1

I originally allowed 20% on the cost of the kit for freight, insurance, GST, port & customs charges, exchange rate etc. Over the last 3 years, that has worked out about right. In the end the overall exhange rate I got was about 98 cents (varied between 82 cents and $1.05). Luckily I got the most pricey parts when the dollar was high, but those days seem to be behind us now. To make matters worse, in the current market the plane would be lucky to sell for 75% of what it has cost to build. Early on I thought I might more or less break even if I sold it one day, but Idon't think that's going to happen any time soon. Guess I'll just have to keep flying it. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

rgmwa