Fuel Guages

I have two isolation valves. One for each wing tank. Makes fuel management possible and prevents transfer between tanks. Can't say I would like any other set up.

My gauges are a guide but have calibration cards, so are semi accurate.

Ultimately the good old dip stick and a calculation using 20LPH for the rotax is the best.

IMG148.jpg.4bf33fcb4eab270b23e693464b479fec.jpg

IMG146.jpg.ddfb70be8acf9045e337ade8463b1598.jpg

I have two isolation valves. One for each wing tank. Makes fuel management possible and prevents transfer between tanks. Can't say I would like any other set up.[ATTACH]23274[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23275[/ATTACH]

I have same set up . Both cocks normally open , and on pre-start check list .

Bob

• Like 1

The thin wing section and longish tanks make it difficult to tell what is going on. I like the idea of individual selectors but that is one more thing to muck up. With sight gauges the fuel can be observed when you rock the wings. I prefer a gascolator that holds about 3/4 hour's fuel. I like to be sure there is no possibility of air getting into the system. Nev

The thin wing section and longish tanks make it difficult to tell what is going on. I like the idea of individual selectors but that is one more thing to muck up. With sight gauges the fuel can be observed when you rock the wings. I prefer a gascolator that holds about 3/4 hour's fuel. I like to be sure there is no possibility of air getting into the system. Nev

Can't have it both ways?......... Valves that prevent fuel transfer between tanks(and need to be "managed") or worry that fuel is being transferred and venting with an open system......

Nev

On all the later models (don't know about the earlier ones) the two tanks are gravity feed to a header tank so short of a blockage with fuel in one tank there is continual supply. I have read of the ones with a tap on each tank but I gather they were kit built. The incident I read about was a test flight on someone's aircraft by a pilot who had only flown the factory set up had fuel problems after the header tank ran out. He was not aware of the head high on/off taps.

Biggles

".I think the move to the float driven LEDs was designed to overcome the problem ."

On mine at least, the dash mounted LEDs read the same as the wing root mounted ones - just easier to read on an instrument scan.

I agree. I always favour being able to decide where the fuel is coming from and going. We are not driving cars but something a little more critical, but why do pilots run out of fuel so often?.

Thanks frank . The collector helps but can you see what is in it? Nev

There used to be an option on the jabs to have a low fuel light on the dash and a float in the header tank , but it had to be installed at the right height or it could come on prematurely ,

I had one installed on one jab I had but it was set to high in the tank and used to come on sometimes , ( scaries the passenger )

It's a good idea , if set right would give 20 ish mins of fuel remaining .

I don't know if their still available .

Cheers Mike