Shiny new license.. What next??

G'day all,

So in as little as 2 months ill be finished my CPL/MECIR and will be about with all the other wannabies trying to get that first job. I will have around the 250hr mark with no Cessna time and no useful twin endorsement and have decided to go the charter/ joy flight route. I have been looking into it a fair bit recently and wanted to get and advice that could be about. I'm from Cairns so i would love to get work there if I could but not sure if I'm wasting my time??

Apart from that I would be happy to go remote (NT/WA) and would like any advice from the guys that have done it. Also is there anywhere/way that I could be ale to get work before the end of the next wet if I'm going to be finishing in nov?

And is there anything that I can do to prepare myself better for employment? As I'm sure it's going to be quite different from a flying school.

Cheers Ben

• Like 3

My flying instructor's daughter finished her CPL about three years ago and got a job flying with Broome Aviation in WA. She wasn't IFR rated at the time, but flew Cessna's (and maybe other types) all over the place, often in marginal VFR. Got a lot of valuable flying experience. Shared a house with four others and earned just about enough to live on, but very little more. She is apparently a gifted pilot and after about a year or eighteen months, was offered a job with a regional airline back in Perth. They paid for her IFR endorsement, and she now flies King Airs for them. One of my instructor's other sons is a Qantas captain. Not sure if any of that is useful information, except that it shows it can be done, but you will probably need a bit of luck on your side to land a decent job. Anyway, maybe you could give Broome Aviation a call. It probably wouldn't hurt to get some Cessna experience too. They're a workhorse plane in the outback.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

G'day all,So in as little as 2 months ill be finished my CPL/MECIR and will be about with all the other wannabies trying to get that first job. I will have around the 250hr mark with no Cessna time and no useful twin endorsement and have decided to go the charter/ joy flight route. I have been looking into it a fair bit recently and wanted to get and advice that could be about. I'm from Cairns so i would love to get work there if I could but not sure if I'm wasting my time??

Apart from that I would be happy to go remote (NT/WA) and would like any advice from the guys that have done it. Also is there anywhere/way that I could be ale to get work before the end of the next wet if I'm going to be finishing in nov?

And is there anything that I can do to prepare myself better for employment? As I'm sure it's going to be quite different from a flying school.

Cheers Ben

Hi, I lived and worked in Kakadu for 15 years and a good friend to Bob McDonald of Kakadu Air. He often took on novice pilots with low hours but has all Cessnas (207, 210) also had a Nomad, Partinavias and a couple of other species but not sure what he has now, haven't been there for 10 years. Give him a ring at Kakadu Air Services in Jabiru. It's all tourist work, don't think he pays much and by all accounts a tough boss but, aren't they all?

Good Luck with it, keep at it, you'll get there.

Greg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

RMGWA, that does help, it's good to hear of people actually doing it and making it! Most people seem to want to tell you all the bad stories

I have lookedInto both the company's listed perviously and both are on the list to visit as well as many others

Greg, from what I make of it none of them pay all that well but roof over my head and a few beers on a weekend and I'm happy, tourist work would be fine, if not preferred. Whats it like living out there? I'm sure some of the scenery and flying would be spectacular.

The weather's DIFFERENT. Wet and Dry season rather than summer and winter in the North. . Darwin's temp. hardly varies, (33 degrees) but you get some good thunderstorms. When you get a bit inland the temps go up in the daytime. Too hot for me.

Broome. Some people really love Broome. Massive tide there. Lovely climate in winter but can be quite hot in summer. The desert starts just east of the town. All the northwest can be subject to cyclones. the whole area can also get a lot of smoke from the inevitable bushfires. Rough air below 8,000' (Inversion level) but it varies caused by high surface temps.

What twin did you do your rating on? Nev

Ben, you really need some Cessna 206 and C210 time. Having C182 time doesn't really give you what's needed for the 206, with its' more complex w&b, fuel injected engine. Similarly, retractable time on a C172RG, or C182RG doesn't really match up to the strutless C210 handling. Time in a GA-8 Airvan would be good too - learning to hot start that IO-540 Lycoming will help lots in later handling of fuel injected Lycomings in twins. As others have pointed out - the Kimberlys is a good start location - but you really need to be on the spot and become a known face at various charter outfits. They get 100's of resume's by email - but these rarely get you the job. Unfortunately, it's now the end of the dry season, and pilots are leaving the region as work winds down. Still, if you were to get in your ute, drive over and use the coming wet to meet all the important CP's - you might just get lucky.

happy days, and good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!RMGWA, that does help, it's good to hear of people actually doing it and making it! Most people seem to want to tell you all the bad stories

I have lookedInto both the company's listed perviously and both are on the list to visit as well as many others

Greg, from what I make of it none of them pay all that well but roof over my head and a few beers on a weekend and I'm happy, tourist work would be fine, if not preferred. Whats it like living out there? I'm sure some of the scenery and flying would be spectacular.

If you live in Cairns then the climate in Jabas will be ok, lot hotter and dryer but the flying will be over the most scenic in Australia, I kid u not, if you haven't flown over Jim Jim, Twin, Double and Magela Falls in the wet or tree tops the full length of the East Alligator river, wet or dry, then ya haven't flown over anything worth seeing. The Arnhem Land escarpment is awesome (1500' at it high point, straight up all the way) and you fly along that for 40 min to get to JJ and Twin. I spent 15 years flying over all that country from Kununura to Arafura Swamp in Western Arnhem Land (biggest swamp in the Southern hemisphere) mostly in choppers and my li'l Colt 108. Don't get me started!! Bob normally used to have a couple of houses in town (12 k's from the airport) shove five of his pilots in there at 100 bucks a head/week and he only paid a fraction of that, you know the deal?

Greg

Hey Greg where are you flying out of? I'm doing my training at YPPF

Hi, I don't fly anything at the moment, did fly out of Murray Bridge to do my BFR and get back into LSA but too far to travel. I am into Gyros at the moment so I can get in and out of my own property at Montacute, hopefully.

Greg.

Thanks once again boys,

Nev, 33c+ is where I do my best work! Just done winter in SA, can't wait! As for the rough air maybe not so much

Poteroo, I've had this in mind and if I end up waiting it out somewhere till next year I'm hoping to get a few hours on type to keep current. Finding one to hire could be the trick tho. I'm hoping that I could find one to do a NVFR rating so that my $$ are going to something as well. That's if I have any.

Greg, the flying sound awesome! I got into aviation for flying and series like that rather then the $$ or the "big shiny" AC.Can you tell me if there is any point getting up there before next year? Like said previously if I need to wait it out ill probably go bak to Cairns, pour a few beers or swing a hammer for a bit, but, I would like to get flying sooner rather then later. Long story short if there is any chance I may go on a drive over Dec and try my luck. What would you recommend.

Mick, gave away the real job last year and yea that has made the CX progress a ill slow but once in settled again I will be straight back into it, just this time with a much smaller wage and way more "must haves". Will definitely take you up on the inspiration before I head off again, I think we are going to try and do some gliding up there before I head so I will get in contact. BTW, how Is yours going,? How many hours have you got up now?

Also Greg, I've a QLD HR licence and forklift licence as well as a QLD builders lic, everyone down here is telling me that this would help getting a start, this make much difference over Joe B?

• Informative 1

For something a little different I've known some guys who have gone to Botswana, namibia and Tanzania and spent a couple of years in the bush building hours, ferrying tourists to the various bush camps and doing scenic flights (c206, c208, c210) for me that would be a awesome experience. the kind of flying that would appeal to me. Not for everyone though. E.g. http://www.wilderness-air.com/employment.html

There is also a massive thread on Maun(Botswana) on the rotten plumb forum somewhere for more info.

Also Greg I've a QLD HR licence and forklift licence as well as a QLD builders lic

Yes hammer swingers are actually hard to find here (despite the moaning from the building industry). Definitely something to put on the CV, all helps get a foot in the door. Virtually none of the overseas students have this sort of ability from what I've seen.

Thanks once again boys,Nev, 33c+ is where I do my best work! Just done winter in SA, can't wait! As for the rough air maybe not so much

Poteroo, I've had this in mind and if I end up waiting it out somewhere till next year I'm hoping to get a few hours on type to keep current. Finding one to hire could be the trick tho. I'm hoping that I could find one to do a NVFR rating so that my $$ are going to something as well. That's if I have any.

Greg, the flying sound awesome! I got into aviation for flying and series like that rather then the $$ or the "big shiny" AC.Can you tell me if there is any point getting up there before next year? Like said previously if I need to wait it out ill probably go bak to Cairns, pour a few beers or swing a hammer for a bit, but, I would like to get flying sooner rather then later. Long story short if there is any chance I may go on a drive over Dec and try my luck. What would you recommend.

Mick, gave away the real job last year and yea that has made the CX progress a ill slow but once in settled again I will be straight back into it, just this time with a much smaller wage and way more "must haves". Will definitely take you up on the inspiration before I head off again, I think we are going to try and do some gliding up there before I head so I will get in contact. BTW, how Is yours going,? How many hours have you got up now?

Don't stay away from the flying too long, you'll drop skills and mindset. My nephew did that and never got back into it again, the catch up was daunting as things change pretty quick if ya not watching. Keep flying if you can. I suggest you ring Bob McDonald, put on ya best voice and sus him out as to what he expects. I know he looks for pilots who are very personable and with experience handling people and can deliver the touristy garb. That's as important (in many ways) as flying the buses. I have seen some of his guys roll up without having all the experience with differing aircraft and they get checked out on the job with his Chief Pilot. He will be best to advise. You'll get to the big shiny AC in time. The Wet season is slower than the Dry but the best flying, smooth as a babies whatzit, fantastic scenery. Pilots are not so common either, prob pick up a bit too. Also try Air North in Darwin (if their still going) they do a lot of stuff out to the Tiwi Islands, Bathurst Island etc. There are a good deal of charter operators out of Darwin, might be worth getting on the web and or having a trip up there but, don't set your expectations too high, also try the Aviation Fellowship (can't remember the proper title and ya don't have to preach the Good word or anything, just fly the truck), they fly to all the Aboriginal Outstations in Arnhem Land carting supplies in 206's mostly (stuff gear in until the front wheel comes off the ground then take something out ??!!). They also ferry pax from the outstations to Darwin and other locations, always good to keep the vents open on days like that??!! Greg ps. tons of work in Darwin (well paid too) in the building industry, they can't get people up there. I have a daughter and grand kids there, can't get work done on their house for months on end, no one to do it ya know??

• Informative 2

Hi, I lived and worked in Kakadu for 15 years and a good friend to Bob McDonald of Kakadu Air. He often took on novice pilots with low hours but has all Cessnas (207, 210) also had a Nomad, Partinavias and a couple of other species but not sure what he has now, haven't been there for 10 years. Give him a ring at Kakadu Air Services in Jabiru. It's all tourist work, don't think he pays much and by all accounts a tough boss but, aren't they all?Good Luck with it, keep at it, you'll get there.

Greg

Bob has Airvans now. I am sure minimum hours are 400-450 due insurance requirements.

I got told a good way to be remembered around the traps. Put your face and details on a coffee mug and send them to your operators of choice. None of our clients crops got sprayed unless a coffee or two had been consumed, and like most ops rooms, coffee was always consumed wether you were flying or not. Just a thought. But best of luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck Ben.

It may be a competetive and busy road out there, but stick at it, and sooner or later you'll reach another stepping stone in the right direction.

When the time is right, someones got to fill the vacancy.

A young mate of my son's, who used to serve me at the local servo, while earning a bit of extra money to pay for his commercial licence, spent a couple of years instructing, before flying Metro's on the bank run's. The last I heard was that he was now flying regionals and is looking towards his next step.

Certainly get your name out there far and wide, and do what is ever necessary for people to remember you in a good light.

Progress, is normally achieved by a progression of smaller steps, but try not to leave too long between the steps, or, they might say you are too old?

Kind Regards

Planey

PS rocket 1172's idea is not silly, it's just a matter of getting oneself known, and selling yourself to them, whatever job you are after.

Guest Howard Hughes

When I worked for Kakadu Bob, it paid to have my HR (Bus) licence, occasionally drove the tour buses to earn a little bit of extra cash.

PS: What did you do at Kak Air Greg? I was there in 1999-2000

Cheers planey,

Definitely committed enough to getting there so now "just have to do what it takes".As for age I'm 26 so not old but not much time to waste either, can't afford to get paid peanuts for too long. Had quite good weather here recently so looking good to finish next month and speaking of steps I had my first IMC flight 2 days ago!

Cheers planey,Definitely committed enough to getting there so now "just have to do what it takes".As for age I'm 26 so not old but not much time to waste either, can't afford to get paid peanuts for too long. Had quite good weather here recently so looking good to finish next month and speaking of steps I had my first IMC flight 2 days ago!

Well done Ben, keep us posted.

When you get out into the wide world of commercial flying Ben, this is one of the more interesting flying jobs you might score. It's in a GA-8, VH-FGH, on a DEC animal survey contract west of Meekatharra in October 2012. Note the DEC operator has his own GPS for measuring distance x time so they 'count' the same size areas to each side. Meanwhile, pilot uses the inpanel King GPS for checking conflicts with mine strips etc, and the top-of-panel Garmin 296 is being used for track keeping. The Bendix radar altitude is just right of the analog altimeter, and you'll see it's steady on 250 ft agl - the target height for these counts. The ranges west of Meeka are why we're at nearly 2000 amsl. Target speed is 100 IAS. It requires a ton of concentration to be looking ahead to anticipate climbs and descents to follow terrain. We use 2400 RPM and whatever MP is needed to hold the flight parameters - but you're not 'looking' at that very often, if at all! The requirements for this contract are quite high as you'd imagine.

happy days,

781381294_LowlevelanimalsurveynrMeekatharraWA250aglbyRADALTinGA-8FGH.jpg.04e9ca064184f05cb0a91647ba545fd1.jpg

• Like 1