From fear to love

Stoney

Hi all,

I am very new to all this plane business. After spending 30 years being terrified of flying commercially, I took 6 weeks of flying lessons to overcome my fear. who would have thought that after a month I would end up loving it. Now all I ever want to do is just fly. I got my PPL a few months ago, 11 months after my TIF. Now I have discovered a whole new world of RA and have bought a half share in a Jabiru J230. All I need now is to finish my RA conversion so I can fly it.

I look forward each night to learning something else about aviation. If I can't fly, I might as well be reading about it. I think I am making up for lost time.

Gary

• Like 5
  • Winner 4

Welcome, Gary. What a great story! Despite my lifelong love of planes, my wife's flying phobia prevented us from travelling for thirty years. She put a big effort into overcoming her fears. The Fearless Flyers course at Mascot transformed her from a terrified to a slightly nervous traveller, so we have finally been able to do a bit of touring. I would recommend the course to anyone.

• Like 1

Hi all,I am very new to all this plane business. After spending 30 years being terrified of flying commercially, I took 6 weeks of flying lessons to overcome my fear. who would have thought that after a month I would end up loving it. Now all I ever want to do is just fly. I got my PPL a few months ago, 11 months after my TIF. Now I have discovered a whole new world of RA and have bought a half share in a Jabiru J230. All I need now is to finish my RA conversion so I can fly it.

I look forward each night to learning something else about aviation. If I can't fly, I might as well be reading about it. I think I am making up for lost time.

Gary

Good on you Gary! I know exactly where you are coming from.

I had a childhood dream of flying but developed a fear as an adult. I don't know why!

I would avoid flying commercially at all costs, choosing to drive long distances which of course, is obviously more risky.

Later in life, while working in remote places, I really had no choice but to fly in small aircraft.

The first time I saw Uluru and Kata Tjuta from the air I was hooked .... forever.

In my early 50's I started training at Tooradin in J160s but due to time, money and distance, I had to defer.

I'm still passionate about chasing this dream but for the moment, I am concentrating on fulfilling another life-long dream - to live in South America. Brazil, to be specific. I have succeeded! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

It's almost time for me to consider training again now I have a good grasp on the Portuguese language.

Anybody here know of a good (GA) school in Minas Gerais? 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 2

All I wanted was to be a pilot --- almost got into the defence force academy - but I was 15...

Ended up doing civil engineering instead

Just started flying 18 months ago --- but I was very apprehensive and a little scared

I'm enjoying it - but take it very seriously that I don't have time to smile - yet

You got your PPL pretty quick !!!

Enjoy

Good to read your story, Bikky. Tell us about flying in Brazil. We hear they build commuter aircraft. What is the small plane scene like?

Hi Old Koreelah,

The small plane scene here in Belo Horizonte (translates to "beautiful horizon" - very true!) seems rather limited unfortunately. Plenty of helicopters though.

The aviation industry is thriving. Embraer build some nice aircraft. http://www.embraer.com.br/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx

Way out of my league!

I haven't had much time to loiter around the smaller airports to check out the RA scene because I have been too busy teaching English. Flying conditions here are "interesting", as Belo Horizonte is 1000 metres ASL and hot much of the time.

When time allows, I will book a trial flight and report back on the experience.

Cheers!026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

BTW - the beer here is GREAT!

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

Frank, it requires 5 hours minimum conversion to RA including 1 hr solo. I am glad to report that I received my conversion this morning from the CFI and spent another 2 1/2 hours being as free as a bird. That was about 10 hours ago and I can't stop smiling. Please tell me that this feeling doesn't get old.

Old Koreelah, your wife must really love you to do that course for you. It was hard enough doing it for myself. I'm not sure if I would have been so willing to do it for someone else.

Bikky, great news that you have achieved a dream of living in Brazil. Flying for me was also only ever an option if it was more than 12 hours drive away. Go and make time to fulfill another dream. TENTE!

Mark11, every flight, take 30 seconds to think about how fantastic what you are doing is. A civil engineer strapped to a kite with a fan, now that's funny. Seriously, if you are not having fun you may as well be flying GA. (Just joking really, but I must admit that all of the RA people I have met have really been warm, friendly and helpful - I'm very glad I joined this club)

Gary

Stoney

As you have done it then it doesn't matter now.

The point I was referring to was if you have a GA licence and only want to fly your 230 i.e. HP lic, then the 5 hrs doesn't apply - you only have to satisfy a RAA CFI you are up to standard. With a current PPL then then that should be a given (with a check ride).

The 5 hr min is required though if you want to include LP (and obviously in a LP aircraft).

Yes needs a RAA cert. if RAA registered but all I was pointing out in case he didn't know was that for a HP RAA cert. with a PPL then it is a check with a RAA CFI only (too see that the subject is still up to speed, I presume) This was the way I got my RAA cert. on the day I took delivery of my aircraft @ Bundaberg. (Like a BFR )

As he has done his "conversion" , whatever was involved it is a mute point now anyway.