OOPS...

River

image.jpg.929b97ba082b87a0c9821f4e02bfe740.jpg

The pilot of a Cessna climbs out of his small plane uninjured after a giant Russian Antonov jet, in background, flipped it over with the force of its engines while both aircraft were taxiing toward the main runway Thursday at Calgary International Aiport. 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

• Like 1

Idle speed is enough usually for taxiing purposes. The problem is when the plane has stopped and has to get moving again. If the pilot uses a handful you would not want to be anywhere near the jet efflux area This should have been posed a while ago. Finger trouble. Thanks to the sophisticated nature of Ian's site I picked it up. nev

Happened to a guy I instructed, way back when. Not by another aircraft but by a willy willy. He had gone flying in his Sky Dart,from the Mareeba aerodrome. He had landed and was taxiing back to the hangar when all of a sudden he found himsel

upside-down. He wasn`t badly hurt but the aircraft was damaged. He swore he didn`t see any sign of the willy.

A Cessna coming in to land almost got into trouble but managed to go around then land safely.

Frank.

In my day job, we're always at pains to be aware if there are any light aircraft nearby. The thrust required to "unstick" a stationary jet and get it moving at the heavier weights can be up around 40% N1, which is a fair bit of wind to blow the way of a Cessna! As facthunter said, you rarely need more than idle thrust to keep the plane moving, except perhaps at very heavy weight on a hot day. And if you're doing your job properly you shouldn't normally need more than idle thrust going around a corner either. But even idle thrust can be a lot if your plane is tiny and the jetblast hits you sideways.