Long ez

rage83

Rage 83, You might try downloading the Long EZ POH. I believe a copy is available at ez.org. For reference, mine, built to plans, closely duplicates the POH quoted performance throughout. (Mr Rutan didn't fudge figures)

Needing long runways is not necessarily the norm, though the heavier the aircraft the slower the acceleration / deceleration. With proper technique, mine gets away in about 600m and can if handled correctly, land shorter than that. (see POH) Likewise my Long EZ is good for at least 20 kts of crosswind (see POH) so the rudders are fine and in fact are strong enough to overpower the ailerons (see John Denver's mishap).

• Like 1

Funny you should say that fly-tornado - the Long Ez I helped build in the UK is now owned by an ex RAF tornado pilot- he obviously feels at home!

Rage83 I recall the LongEz was very easy to handle in a crosswind because it's so fast and slippery. Flying the approach "relatively slowly" is something of a misnomer, but I can't now remember the numbers - only that to approach at a speed I felt comfortable at required a very significant nose up pitch which compromised visibility. However EZ is much better qualified than I am to comment, and is flying a Long Ez currently so I'd like to hear his comments . Maybe now with many more hours under my belt and access to a 1500m sealed strip I'd feel a bit more positive about the aircraft!

• Informative 2

• 1 year later...

Hello Aviators

This is my first post...

I am the current owner of Long Ez G-MUSO and was fascinated to stumble across this thread. I'm not the tornado pilot, he was a previous owner. I only have about 400hrs on various types of aircraft.

I fly out of Seething Airfield EGSJ with a 800m runway and airborne at the 550 mark. It lands much shorter if the speed is right. Sitting high in the seat with my head about an inch from the canopy as recommended I find the visibility fine on final, even with a high angle of attack. My first few flights in MUSO were scary/exciting as I didn't really have any instruction, just a little bit in of back seat time in another LE and the POH. But over all I think its fairly EZ to fly and I agree with everything EZPilot said. Its was just a little intimidating at first.

I should have my display authority on it completed soon and will display it initially at the Seething Charity Air Day this summer. http://seething-airfield.com/airday.php

I love flying this Rutan designed plane and it ticks all the boxes for me, and I would really like to chat with docjell sometime about the build of this great aircraft.

Thanks

Dan G

• Like 4

Hello AviatorsThis is my first post...

I am the current owner of Long Ez G-MUSO and was fascinated to stumble across this thread. I'm not the tornado pilot, he was a previous owner. I only have about 400hrs on various types of aircraft.

I fly out of Seething Airfield EGSJ with a 800m runway and airborne at the 550 mark. It lands much shorter if the speed is right. Sitting high in the seat with my head about an inch from the canopy as recommended I find the visibility fine on final, even with a high angle of attack. My first few flights in MUSO were scary/exciting as I didn't really have any instruction, just a little bit in of back seat time in another LE and the POH. But over all I think its fairly EZ to fly and I agree with everything EZPilot said. Its was just a little intimidating at first.

I should have my display authority on it completed soon and will display it initially at the Seething Charity Air Day this summer. http://seething-airfield.com/airday.php

I love flying this Rutan designed plane and it ticks all the boxes for me, and I would really like to chat with docjell sometime about the build of this great aircraft.

Thanks

Dan G

Awesome first post.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I believe there is one in Gladstone, Qld. Owned by Hughie Bridge, look him up in the white pages, I am not going to give out his email here. It was flown in to Bundy a few years ago to one of their fly ins. I had an interesting time landing the Corby on bitumen with about 18knots of crosswind. Fred in the Long Ezy was contemplating a change of underwear. They have one very small rudder on each fin and it only works outwards, so there is little rudder authority. Hughie was at one stage contemplating a rudder modification, but I havn't seen him for a couple of years so don't know if anything happened. They sure do look fast as they lope overhead.

• Agree 1

Dansmusic! How great to hear from you and to hear how G-MUSO is going. Your posting was completely unexpected and livened up an otherwise uneventful Sunday evening hear in Far North Queensland. Still getting 30 degrees at midday (end of our "summer") . from your name I assume your connection with Music - MUSO was built by myself(a GP) , a professional Horn Player, amd Mike Moran, a professional musician and writer.

I woulld really like to get in contact - MUSO's history is interesting and involved with one or two very interesting charatcters. I wouldn't necessarily want to share part of my past on this forum so please email me asap on [email protected]

I'd love to catch up.

Fanatastic how this site has potentially bought together two completely unconnected aviators from the other side of the world.

Bring it on!

• Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard
Hello AviatorsThis is my first post...

Thanks

Dan G

Dansmusic, Welcome to the discussion...sounds like you have had a lot more luck or skill in operating the Longeze then our docjell did. During my twelve years of residing in California I made the acquaintance of many Long Eze owners and builders operating as an A&P mechanic. Their love of the aircraft becomes infectous to say the least. I also had the pleasure of meeting both Dick and Elbert Rutan on a couple of occasions, and Berts' design philosophies are simple yet endlessly inspiring, hence his success with his many unique designs over the years, and I am happy to see, which still continues today.

Guest Maj Millard

And additionally as you probabily know Dansmusic, the composite layup over shaped structural solid-core foam makes for a very rigid, and long- lasting structure when done well. The final finish ( with lots of sanding!) can end up with a sailplane- like finish.

This method of construction was pioneered and promoted by Bert and Scaled Composits at Mojave as early as the mid sixties, and used on many other home-built types including the KR2 range of aircraft, and Lancairs to name but a few.

Hi doc

I’m really glad to have found this thread, its funny and exciting how things like this happen. At the moment I am in Florida visiting family and looking forward to going to the Sun n Fun expo. Hopefully seeing a few other EZ flyers there as well. I was born in England but grew up in Chicago, I moved back to the UK 17 years ago and your right I am a professional musician and own a music shop. The G-MUSO reg was a real bonus. I also travel around the world as a music examiner for www.Rockschool.co.uk and was in New Zealand working for a month last year, only just passing through Australia. I had heard that the famous Mike Moran was one of the builders of MUSO but didn’t have any more info than that. Wing Commander Willis owned MUSO for around 12 years before me and someone else for a short period before I bought it. Willis was one of the BBMF pilots flying the Spitfire and other awesome aircraft. He only sold MUSO because he was apprently moving abroad. I totally agree with how fantastic it is for a site like this to connect pilots from all around the world. I will email you soon. My email is [email protected] and some MUSO pics are on my Facebook page if you do the social media thing. https://www.facebook.com/dan.gay.125 Take care and talk soon.

Hi Maj

Thanks for the warm welcome and how great for you to have met the Rutan’s. As you probably know its the 40th anniversary of the VEz this year, and Burt is releasing his latest and last aircraft design at Oshkosh. I’m hoping he will make an appearance at Sun n Fun as well. I agree there is something really special about his designs and can’t wait to see this new one. Thanks again.