Long ez

rage83

Just wondering if there is anyone on here that knows if there are many long ez's in Aus?

Or if anyone on here has one???

Preferably in qld.

I'm wanting to go for a spin in one if it's possible.

Wouldn't mind trying to find one or getting plans. Been doing a bit of research and it appears as tho they have a few quirks I want to but out before I go any further with trying to find one or get plans,

Guest Maj Millard

Elbert Rutan ended the sale of plans many years ago. There are some nice ones around, but as they were mostly home built, there are some rough ones around also.

The one that got John Denver for instance, which looked great, had an IO 360 Lyc in it where Rutan only ever approved the 320 Lyc, so apart from using more fuel, it also was probabily toward the rear of the GC envelope. The cockpit fuel selector had also been relocated by the original builder, which also contributed to that accident.

There is a reasonable one in Ingham which is currently stored with I think a 320, I 'll make enquiries to see if it is available. It was flying until recently.

The one that crashed near Emerald airport was not an aircraft fault, but related to fuel exhaustion. When parked with the nose lowered (facing Mojave not Mecca!) the fuel drain is at the rear of the belly. I was told that the operator did a fuel water drain and inadvertently left the fuel drain open. After they entered the cockpit and the nose was raised to normal, the fuel all drained out, and they apparently left a trail of fuel all the way to the runway....very unfortunate as that

looked like a nice aircraft .....................Other than requiring a longish runway for takeoff, they are a very fast and efficient aircraft in the air, especially if you enjoy listening to John Denver music.............Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I have been doing a bit of research and plans are now distriubuted by Terf inc. in cd form allegedly the only person authorised distributer. Yeah the quirks i am concerned with are the rudder setup possibly an easy fix but only having the rudder deflecting that is toward direction of turn, ie left rudder only deflects left when depressing left pedal. Concerned about rudder authority and there was a few mentions of spins in odd cg configurations. A few other quirks were really hard to slow down and aircraft just wanting to keep flying, i guess thats why the later versions added the under belly speed brake.

And i would probably find something other than John Denver music to listen to.

Cheers for response Maj.

You would have looked up Super Long Eze on the internet to see all the mods that have been done to fix some of these issues. Also the amazing BERKUT 540. Now thats an aeroplane. I was at Caloundra about 2 or 3 months ago and there was a Long Eze going for a very quick lap and i think parked back in a hanger there. Maybe looking up SAAA register might help.

Hi Rage 83 - I was in a three man syndicate in the UK in the eighties and we built a Long Eze - rego G-MUSO - looking back I cannot imagine why. Building was fun, but flying was not. I can't offhand remember how many hours I flew in it, but I was happy to sell my share. It's cramped, uncomfortable, and very idiosyncratic to fly. The visibility is limited, there is no luggage space, it's really only practical off long sealed runways (?Edwards Air Force Base), and use in and out of grass strips is interesting to say the least (don't). We had the belly brake , but still needed an inordinate amount of nose up attitude on approach such that the forward visibility was seriously impaired - or alternatively cross the the hedge at a blistering pace. It's ONLY saving grace was high speed economical cruising. Maj is extolling the virtues of an aircraft I suspect he has never flown since he clearly knows little about it! G-MUSO was ultimately sold to a wing commander in the RAF- used to flying Tornadoes- and as of last week he still has it.

Be very very careful - good luck and keep us posted.

If you are a fan of Bert Rutan it helps. I've seen a few over the years. They may be quite efficient in the air but you need a long.( Maybe that is why they call then the"long" ez) sealed runway. My Canard days are over as the theoretical technical advantages seem to have a few idiosynchracys attached to them. I can put up with having to push the back of a plane DOWN to get the plane to eventually go UP . Also I never saw a DUCK flying backwards .Nev

• Haha 1

There are alot of people (mostly in the States) building Long's from the "Open Ez" plans here, http://forum.canardaviation.com/showthread.php?t=6129

The canard aviation forum there has a wealth of information about all types of canards, Cozy's (what im building), Longs, Variezes, Velocitys...etc

Guest Maj Millard
Awesome Facthunter! Exactly what does being a Bert Rutan fan help? Aerodynamics? I owned and flew one - they are crap

There are many fine long distance pilots who would definitely disagree with you there, including the likes of Dick Rutan and Jeanna Yeagar both of whom hold speed/ distance and round the world flight endurance and distance records in Vari and Long ezes. They both went on to pilot the first piston-engined aircraft to fly non-stop around the world, in yet another fine Bert Rutan design, the world-beating Voyager.........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Home > Cockburn Area > Jandakot > Miscellaneous Goods > Ad ID 3479353002012-02-29 UsedCondition

Long EZ experimental airplane

$30,000.00

just saw this ad on gumtree

I believe its the same Long that was spoken about here, http://www.recreationalflying.com.au/threads/rutan-long-ez.47667/

Its been on gumtree forever, I considered it myself but think it may have issues...

Guest Maj Millard
Sigh... This thread has sure dented my long-held fascination for Rutan aircraft, but I still think the VariViggen is one of the most exciting-looking planes.

Old Koreelah, Don't let one unsuccessfully experience ruin it for you. these home builds are only as good as the builder ultimately , and there are many fine flying examples throughout the world. Most owners fly and love these aircraft with a passion, and Burt Rutan certainly doesn't have to answer to anyone, with his long and mostly very successfull range of innovative, and interesting aircraft , which still continues to this day with the Spaceship 2 sub- orbital craft soon to be operated by Virgin Galatica.......................Maj...

Maj- you have no idea at all that " most owners own and fly these aircraft with a passion" this is pure confabulation- how many owners do you know? They are a niche product with very limited appeal which is why they are comparatively rare. Your mesmeric meanderings regarding the round -the-world voyager, the Virgin Galactica, Jeanna Yeager and Dick Rutan have rather strayed from Rage83 's original request for INFORMED comment regarding this aircraft . I won't repeat all my earlier negative comments- but if Rage83 can live with all those and find a continuing supply of AVGAS he'll race through the skies very economically. That are probably almost unsaleable too, so one should be available for a song.

I remember looking over the varieze at wings over warwick a few years ago, the same one that killed Rob Behrend a few months later. They have a very small cockpit, I reckon you would get cooked in it and good luck getting that tiny front wheel to work on grass runway. kind of limits its appeal as you can't change the front wheel.

I have a little experience of Long EZ's which may be useful in this discussion:

I built one, and have about 700 hours in it. I have flown briefly in the backseat of two others and so have a basis for comparison. I have also spent considerable time in other aircraft such as Archers, Citabrias, Gazelles etc.

The perception of Long EZ's as c--p seems to be a personal opinion.

More factually perhaps, the most defining feature of Long EZs is that they are slippery and efficient. This means that you have to manage speed and descents somewhat more than in more usual GA aircraft. So much so that I find that I need to slow up to 75 kts well before entering the circuit, and having done that, I find the rest of the landing process follows relatively easily. Having gotten used to slipperiness, in general handling, the aircraft is positively stable in pitch and yaw and neutrally stable in roll. Stick forces are nicely balanced and a little on the firm side and produce immediate response with pressure. No rudder input is required in flight.

Accommodation is snug but comfortable in the front seat and snug but uncomfortable for tall people in the back seat. Lots of luggage can be stowed but it must be packed in soft bags to fit the odd nooks and crannies. There is storage in the wing roots, main-spar, behind the seats and alongside the rear seat. If fitted, baggage pods capable of adding 20 kgs storage per side can also be used.

Being a pusher with a rather firm gear, means that Long Ezs are not that happy on rough strips and that damage from things kicked up by the nose-wheel into the prop on gravel strips is something to watch for.

With all of the above in mind, I really like flying mine. Of course, if any of the characteristics that i mentioned don't appeal to you, you may not.

• Informative 4

Yes Ross, I have been following Rutan's pioneering work. His achievements have made NASA look like a bloated, lethargic bureaucracy.

Thanks for the information, EZ Pilot. They are an impressive design. I had a look at the one hanging up under the B-52 in the museum at Darwin. Later I had a yarn with its builder, who got good service out of it, but was snookered by the Mobil AvGas fuel contamination. He was concerned that the dodgy fuel or sloshing sealants may have compromised the wing structure which the tanks are integral with, so he removed the O-200 and donated the airframe to the museum.

Thanks New Member for a useful and reasoned appraisal of your Long Ez - an opposing opinion to mine but much more helpful for Rage83 who is trying to garner opinion of the aircraft. And yes - my 'crap' comment stemmed from irritation with the thread rather than reasoned commentary! Continue to enjoy your Long Ez!

I believe that aircraft, more than most vehicles, are a collection of compromises. The Long Ez is not perfect in all roles, but as a long distance, efficient cruiser that is pleasant to fly, I think that it is very good compromise. Doing low and slow type missions is not one of its strong suits, and neither is being a 'bush aircraft'. I guess it all depends on what sort of mission an individual wants an aeroplane for and how much compromise they are prepared to accept.

• Like 1

Thanks New Member for a useful and reasoned appraisal of your Long Ez - an opposing opinion to mine but much more helpful for Rage83 who is trying to garner opinion of the aircraft. And yes - my 'crap' comment stemmed from irritation with the thread rather than reasoned commentary! Continue to enjoy your Long Ez!

Sounds like yours had an irritating whining noise too...

• Haha 2
  • Caution 1

Thanks for all the replies. Great to see a bit of passion. I have always considered them a niche aircraft and yes something that is probably going to have draw backs. That is the main reason I started this thread was to get ideas on them. Everyone has there own opinion. The long take off and landing roll and ground handling on grass may role them out for me unfortunately because of some of the places i want to go. For the relatively simple build however is something I may still consider. Just means I have to have a bigger hanger and more money to have more toys to suit the down low and dirty flying that can be so much fun.

To EZ pilot or docjell what are they like with cross winds one of my biggest concerns is the rudder authority mainly whilst flying relatively slow on approach. The whole only one rudder operating ie left rudder for left pedal input has me a bit concerned, I know there are heaps of mods that you can make like the baggage pods which look sweet and different canopy setups which I am already dreaming of ideas about if I do go ahead and have a crack at it.