Wasp - Rag & Tube

Guest DWB

Does anyone know anything about these. A fellow haymaker whom I've known pretty well all my life dropped in this morning for a chat. Farm talk turned to aviation, as it does. I knew that Trevor flew gliders in the 80/90's although had ceased when I started in 2002. He tells me today that he has around 400 hours up in gliding.

I showed him the Thruster Glasshouse, which he knew of from back in the 80's, then he tells me he has a Wasp in his shed that he bought in the very early 80's. He tried to evidently fly it & it didn't go too well, I think he said he broke the tail wheel off or something landing from a couple of feet in the air on the first flight, so he thought he should probably get someone to show him how to do it, but decided to stick with gliding & the Wasp has sat in the shed ever since (along with the HK Holden Monaro 186S that I remember Trevor buying new).

Think I'm going to have to go have a peek at this AC........... I still can't believe that after all the discussions I've had with him about all manner of things over the years that I only find out this today. It is true you really don't know what is lying around out there in some farm sheds........

I hope I heard the name (Wasp) right btw

CAB Wasp? I remember the subject came up once before and Ozzie had some background, if I remember correctly he said that some of them had a V tail. Saw this one at Watts Bridge a year or two back;

[ATTACH=full]819[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]820[/ATTACH]

ragtube.jpg.83e94a6390b15ccdbe632e7d10b2e304.jpg

Guest Michael Coates

I had a wasp with a victa 160 engine (or it may have been a McCulluk (spelling)... i cant remember) on it but only ever got it a few feet off the ground, think it was 1982, it would turn best if you leant into the turn at the same time !

I felt the "need for speed" and "upgraded" to a grasshoper, sold the wasp to a guy from New Caledonia who had won the lottery and came to Australia to buy toys.... Found out later he crashed and drowned in it on the first real flight he made which he did without lessons.

Wow, I'm sorry, call me what you will, but I wouldn't be caught dead in something like that. Well...I may as well be dead if my wife caught me trying to fly a Wasp ;)

The Monaro on the other hand........

Thanks for the comments guys & the pics Spin. I'll have to go & verify this is what it is now.

Certainly is what you'd call rag & tube! I think I'd draw the line on that one too Pow.

Ha ha Pete, they are pretty hard to get off the ground so at best you might get some grass rash . LOL. Put a reasonable motor up front and a dead calm day and it could be fun. Any wind and turbulence and good luck controlling it.

Yes Cab Wasp made in Gunnedah by Cab Industries. Similar in looks to the Scout. Scout has King post and is wire braced , Wasp is strut braced. All the ones that i had seen were V tail.

If you had one and it did not fly to well then you where possibly to overweight for it. I had no problem being<50kg back then. Rigging is important tighten that centre section has hard as it can go. replace the victa with a robyn 250 and it will fly. Gee i wish i had a big shed and some space for all these fun toys.

[ATTACH]823[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]822[/ATTACH]

A couple of images that i have of the Wasp.[ATTACH]824[/ATTACH] Included a Scout for you to compare.

Ozzie

Scout-Mk-iii-lg.JPG.4e52fcf73a2804d2025bb3ab3f813df4.JPG