Natfly 2012

metalman

Guest avi8tr

That is pretty average MC and quite targeted it would seem. Disappointing to say the least. I had heard some feedback about a lack of love in the ramp check, but that is a different story completely.

Windsor - Did Tizz do something you didn't agree with?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to get the bowels moving eh;)? I wasn't there but these issues normally depend on how they are approached and that goes for both sides - get in a pilot's face and demand all manner of docs and info, and you're going to get him offside. By the same token, CASA are entitled to ramp check and giving some bloke, who truth be known would rather be sitting in the shade drinking beer, a mouthful is a surefire way to earn a little extra attention and aggravation. Let's not forget that all and sundry are engaging in self flagellation over the trike incident and calling for CASA, RAAus and anyone else they can think of to make us even more of a nanny state than we already are. You'll never satisfy everyone and although Michael's suggestion has merit, aren't our former employees tasked with sport aviation specifically ie events and aircraft like Natfly? Remember CASA has jurisdiction over all flying activities and RAA merely administer in terms of an exception to the regulations. Trying to make it into a them and us scenario doesn't help and I think Blackrod summed up the RA Aus position pretty well. Like it or not we have to rub along with them.

• Like 1

Guest Michael Coates

I dont know if the guy gave as much or more than he got... He 'might' have brought the extra attention on himself, who knows, i wasent there and his recollection may be distorted.

He did say he was 'busting' and they wanted him to do the inspection before visiting the gents ? he walked off to the gents anyway before they did the inspection, maybe that got them offside. who knows.

Guest Michael Coates

Reference the flight manual. There are new flight manuals available since the plane was delivered but he is required to have the version that was delivered with the plane in the delivered configeration so i guess he is safe. If he had a later manual would this mean it was illegal ?

So many questions when you get down to the nitty-gritty.... does say a 1968 cessna 172 have to carry a manual for a 2010 172? to be legal ? The 1968 plane is basically the same in many ways but completely different

If I was "busting" I would've had the same priorities too and it may have got them started on the wrong foot - I've been told that I can be difficult for auditors to deal with.

I specifically used the word "correct" rather than "latest" AFM.

Yep, so many questions that an aeroplane owner has to deal with - like politicians, an aeroplane owner is not required to have any qualifications or training.

Guest avi8tr

It was a pleasure to meet you DJ by the way. I've known Daryl and Jo for years but didn't realise they were mates of yours.

I didn't get ramp-checked because I pulled straight into the display area and missed them. It would have been an interesting discussion given that I hired the aircraft for a change (I usually bring my own aircraft) so I wouldn't have known about the aircraft in much detail if asked.

There was a confrontation on Friday where the Police were called - I didn't witness it but a fellow club member did not far from where he was.......

Guest Michael Coates
There was a confrontation on Friday where the Police were called - I didn't witness it but a fellow club member did not far from where he was.......

Say what ?? probably someone else with a bladder like a baby. maybe they need to do the ramp checks in the gents when people first arrive.

CASA, police, its all getting to hard, no wonder the few i have spoken to have a really negative outlook on the event.

Guest avi8tr

If the confrontation was with CASA, I'm not surprised as one of them used to be a cop himself. Quite a number of CASA employees used to be police. I sense a theme...

Confrontation with CASA?

Yes, I should've made that point a little clearer - have no idea who called the cops though, victim or authorities. Under the circumstances I guess either is possible.

It was a pleasure to meet you DJ by the way. I've known Daryl and Jo for years but didn't realise they were mates of yours.

Same here, now that there is no aerobatic contest at Easter I will be there again (I have been leading a sheltered life - only aerobatic contests with the occasional Oshkosh visit).

I didn't get ramp-checked because I pulled straight into the display area and missed them.... so I wouldn't have known about the aircraft in much detail if asked.

A pilot would not be expected to know any of that, beyond checking that it had an AFM on board, if required. I have never been ramp checked by CASA but at every aerobatic contest my aeroplane and myself are subject to those checks.

Rampcheck? No, no rampcheck for me.

Ray and the other volunteers in red Sector were doing a pretty good job. The organisers might like to hook up a portaloo on a trailer to the the fuel truck so that we can do the fuel and the loo as soon as we land.

The catalogue needs to be expanded to give a bio of each exhibitor so we can work out who and why they are there so if they are out having a good time we can come back if they have something interesting.

It didn't seem that the board or CEO were spending much time in the tent pressing the flesh. The meeting with the board and CEO was much too late in the day. Too close to EOD for those leaving for home on Sat arvo.

The food was good although the Guinness and beef men were still waiting for the mash to arrive when I went past.

A good day and a great day for flying and my pencil and whiz wheel navigation gets better each flight. I deadheaded Tugalong Station and the nudist camp on the way home.

Av8ter... I have it on good authority that the Junior Membership stuff up was 100% the work of Tizzard. That whole situation was a bloody disgrace... Our President was forced to accept responsibility. What annoys me is we pay this guys wages... and I really don't think he is up to the job given the direction our organization is going. Add to that the complete mess made under his watch by his staff in regard to LSA and.... well it isn't pretty.

Guest avi8tr

In a twist of fate, the crashed trike was for sale in the last magazine.

Spin - not long ago, many of the LSA's were grounded due to a paperwork issue that appeared to be the fault of RA-Aus.

We're talking about what came out of the CASA audit after the Morgan debacle at Old Bar? Seems a bit over the top to be calling for Tizzard's head for that and offending a (very) few teenagers and their parents. I don't know the man and found his heavy handed early columns in the magazine irritating, but seems to me what RA Aus badly needs is some stability and a firm hand on the reins to get the show under control. Not that I see any major problems, the issues we have had are typical of volunteer type organisations which have experienced explosive growth and are transitioning to a more professional, corporate structure - communication, lines of authority etc, nothing fatal. I don't own an aircraft at the moment, but have to say that my dealings with the office re licence and membership issues have been a pleasure over the last few years.

I'm happy to be put right if there are deeper issues, but I'd hate to see us pitch the baby out with the bathwater.

Edit: Of course the fact his name is getting unfavourable mentions elsewhere in cyberspace is enough to recommend the man to me:cool:

Guest Michael Coates

I have had one on one meetings with Tizzard a few times and have always found him a pleasure to deal with. He has always shown me that he has the ability to lead and guide the RAA. You can never please everybody I guess but he seems more than competent to me and now with Adam Finn coming on board as well as the new tech man I can only see the RAA heading rapidly in the right direction!

Just had a chat with my local Rep... he assures me that the Junior Membership problem was a shared mistake... just to clarify.

Of course there will always be some disagreement with these things... But I do believe that we are in good hands with our current President. The way he led the troops during the "Big Blow" on Saturday night... he could have told us "There are Huns just over that rise and we are going to storm them and take them out"... and I for one would have been right beside him... A good bloke and a born leader.

• Like 1

Guest avi8tr

People are whining about the prizes going to GA aircraft and blaming Steve T for it too. He had nothing to do with this at all! Let's focus on the positive side of the event and what RA-Aus are doing for us.